Pickups - Opinions and what you would do?

What's Hot
Hey Folks,

Shortly I will be purchasing a new Harness for one of my Les Paul Standards to get rid of the PCB board Gibson started putting in.
I've already had the discussion with Marc over at Mojo and he can make me what I want - so cool :) Originally though I'd have to get this from the states as wasn't keen on the cheaper stuff I found on U.K sites, until I found Mojo from being mentioned here.

Anyway this is also an opportunity to go for a pickup change and I'm pretty much set on some Alnico IIs Slash type, love the tone and wouldn't mind a guitar with this type tone. I have other Seymours in many other guitars inc, George Lynch Screamin' Deamon, JBs, Pearly Gates etc, so I'm pretty set on this type pickup for what I want.

Here's the question....

Do I go for the original Seymour Duncan Slash Alnico Pro II?

or do I try?

Iron Gear Tesla Sharks - few small threads about these over the internet with divided opinions, some say just as good, some say good for a cheap clone which isn't the same thing. However this option saves a fair few quid

or

Marc at Mojo said he can make a set of Slash Alnico IIs, would these be better beig hand made, would their tone differ greatly from what I've heard in the seymours. In truth I would like to support a small business as time are still tough out there, but also I know what sound I want. There is no question of the quality I'd get from Mojo, that's not my concern, more am I going to wish I'd got the Seymours because although hand made etc they don't give quite the tone

What would you guys do, interested to hear different thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    If you specifically want Slash's tone I'd get the pickups he actually uses. If you want pickups in the same vein but tweaked to your taste get Marc to wind you some. I've got a set of Marc's paf alikes and they're excellent.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    I'd get the Mojos. If they're made to the same spec, any difference in tone will be so minor as to be outweighed by other differences in the guitar. Get the whole kit from the same source and support British business.

I like Duncans, by the way - and it's nothing to do with 'hand made' snobbery either, I generally think that's over-hyped and makes little to no difference if the exact spec is the same. Where small makers win is being able to vary the spec slightly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Mojo's. Marc will make what you need.
  • Cheers guys, sorry been away for a bit. I'm leaning toward Mojos too, just waiting for payday :)