Long Scale Les Paul?

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26962
After the short scale Fenders last week comes this from Gibson...

"What appears to be a '59 Les Paul reissue from Gibson Custom is actually a very different bird. Look closely and you'll see that guitar has not only split parallelogram fretboard inlays and binding on the back of its mahogany body, but it also has a 25.5-inch scale length. Hence, it's great for dropped tunings and those who prefer a 25.5" scale over the typical 24.75" scale used on most Gibson solid-body guitars. Moreover, this longer scale also allows for harmonics and overtones previously unheard from a Les Paul." 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited July 2014
    I like that.

Not even fussed about the longer scale, but I do really like the way it looks.

Also, what short-scale Fenders?
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Looks much better as the gold top.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26962
    Bucket said:
    I like that.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/19296/fender-modern-players-have-a-new-twist
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    doesn't quite work for me, the bridge/tailpiece looks too far back.   going for a wraparound would make it look right again

like this
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    Sounds interesting.
    Should give more note separation, also useful for anyone who wants to play tighter sounding hard rock or metal.

I agree on the tailpiece comment though, wrapatound would look better.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    That looks really nice! The grain on the back and neck looks especially lovely.
  • I'd still rather go for the even bigger buckethead sig ;)

Nah, it looks nice but... I just prefer the look of a prs singlecut still. Even the wrap around one. Okay, so it's not quite as long but it's a tad longer than regular Gibson.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Bucket said:
    I like that.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/19296/fender-modern-players-have-a-new-twist
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/Lixarto/34d1feb4-415a-4b41-9ed3-9064558333a.jpg
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This scale could put me back on for a Les Paul purchase. Liking the split fret markers too
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Wahey! :D
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • GAK have one in. £3499 a little steep for what I'd be after.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    My Custom Lion from Feline has a bolt on 25.5 scale neck and is a singlecut. I love how it sounds and plays.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    strtdv said:
    Sounds interesting.
    Should give more note separation, also useful for anyone who wants to play tighter sounding hard rock or metal.

I agree on the tailpiece comment though, wrapatound would look better.
    no. yuk
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    no. yuk
    To the note separation or to the wraparound?

IMO the tailpiece on that is too close to the neck volume control, it would get in the way and annoy me.

The ideal would be to have the extra length on the neck so the bridge and tailpiece stay where they are on a regular les paul.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    Nah, that feels weird. Best is to split the difference
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72305
    To my surprise it looks perfect. The tailpiece is now at the exact visual centre of the lower bout, and the tailpiece and volume control even look right - you can still roll your hand up the back edge of the control and just miss the tailpiece - although the structural implication of having the pot rout that close to the post anchor could be interesting...

At least they've done it that way instead of with a 17th-fret neck joint, which is what I expected. (Exact opposite point if view from strtdv :) - but I detest ones like the ES-135 where the neck is too far out of the body.) I like the split-diamonds too, different but still classic.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein