Amp tech in Norfolk/Suffolk/Lincolnshire/Cambridgeshire area?

EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
I emailed Steve at theampguy, but to no avail.
Anyway, it's nice to hear of people who haven't got a website. Not all wizened solder geniuses have a website. Many of them maintain that if The Internet doesn't have a 6.3 volt heater supply, it can't possibly work or exist.
Who else is out there o'er fen and broad?
 - Ed
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Guitar Lodge. 
    Paul Glazebrook. - He doesn't have a website, but I can give you his details if you PM.
  • I've used Paul Glazebrook twice with 2 different amps and he's been excellent and incredibly reasonably priced. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    I too have used Paul in the past with much satisfaction. If he is not available my Brother in law fixes amps too in Felixstowe and is similarly good/reasonably priced. PM if you need contact details.
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    Chris newman
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • +1 for Paul Glazebrook :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    tFB Trader
    I've just PMed the details.
  • vizviz Frets: 10644

http://www.chrisnewmangrooves.co.uk/index.php

He's good but you have to ask him not to drill holes in your amp chassis and installing external bias pots if you don't want him to.

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    Add his contact details to the Amp Tech thread please.
  • photekphotek Frets: 1462
    +1 for Chris Newman. Very well priced and keeps all the bits that he has replaced to prove he has actually done something!
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I have left the amp in the hands of Paul Glazebrook. He seems like a good 'un :)

While I was there, a lady arrived to pick up an amp head.

"All done," said Paul.

"Thank you. So, how much am I owe you?"

"Errrr... a tenner?"

^___^

- Ed

(After I'd turned the car around, I realised I'd forgotten to explain the knacky, lying ways of the voltage selector. I knocked on the door, and yer man opened it; "I've not done it yet, lad.")

tFB Trader
    hywelg said:
    Add his contact details to the Amp Tech thread please.
    He doesn't do internets and I'm not going to put his home address or phone number on the internet. 
    You can PM me for details if you want them.
    Paul is still a bit of a Hank Marvin look alike and a cracking guitar player too. Many don't know that he is also a qualified tailor!

Nice bloke, you should expect to be addressed as 'Lad' at every suitable moment in conversation. He does repairs for most of the local shops and has for decades.

Highly recommended.

Paul called me earlier with depressing news about my amp. Seems a call to Simon at BLS transformers is in order. Sigh.
     - Ed
    One more local outfit with a growing reputation.

Not used them myself, but I hear good things.
    edited September 2013
    Picked the amp up from Paul today - not working, but fixed as far as can be, and with the information of what was wrong (a rookie error by BLS transformers meant that the voltage from the rectifier was well in excess of 500v - though the heater voltages were correct - and the poor filter capacitors were not enjoying the experience.)
    A previous owner had put resistors across the 6V6 sockets (I could see they weren't original, but I left them alone as the amp was working fine with them in place). Paul removed them and returned the 6V6 sockets to stock.
    "How much am I owe you?"
    "Errrr... a tenner?"
    When other people have £25, or £60 minimum "inspection charges", this is pleasing. 

When the time comes for you to take a project to a professional to get past some frustrating obstacle, it's a bit of a gamble. You don't know what you're going to get. My least favourite is the cocky, smug type who likes to make sure you feel bad for even trying to have a go yourself. I can happily say that Paul is all that you might hope for in these circumstances. :)