Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How times change (Old fogey content)

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    Schooldays being "the best days of your life" is one of the biggest lies told to children. 
    School was crap. I'm much happier now. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited September 2013
    Calculators became common during my first year as a student, 1975. @monquixote I agree. I have to say that I received what in general must be described as a "good" education, but I think that was despite the system and the attitudes of most of the teachers. There were just a few who were very effective, and in some cases inspiring. However it was a relief to leave the Grand Pettiness behind. The other thing that made school crap was most of the other kids. A lot of them were arseholes, only a few weren't.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24286
    bertie said:
    we were Oxbridge............... casio FX-80     for me
    Me too !!  I loved my FX-80 !  Possibly where my initial interest in computers started.  I took my O Levels in 1980 too, so it looks like we were in the same year.  I remember going to the local computer shop in school lunchtimes to stare in awe at the *Colour* Apple II machine they had.

Did anyone else have one of these...

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • @Emp_Fab I borrowed one once, and put it through a guitarist's phaser pedal for a recording (onto 4-track cassette!). Someone listening to it said "I didn't know you had an expensive synthesiser, which one did you get?".
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    My primary school had a handful of BBC Electron units and we did a couple of classes (spread over the last year) on basic - I think it was a box ticking exercise so they could say it was done rather than to actually learn anything.

Then at secondary school we learned less about computers - but used them more. doing a handful of WordPerfect classes learning to print a document and save it, that sort of thing - they'd also installed some form of software launcher that booted on DOS immediately so that none of the students would need to learn anything useless like DOS or Windows. Meh

Then I had to go 35 miles a day (each way, so I guess 70 miles) commute to get to a college that didn't think computers as a subject wouldn't catch on (ended up at NESCOT doing Computer Science A level, and Physics and Chemistry)... luckily my college was in a very high crime area, so as naughty types broke in so often to steal computers or components they were able to use the insurance money to keep replacing bits and keep very up to date hardware-wise. We had a particularly scatty but very good lecturer - he was old enough that I'm pretty sure when he started training in computers it was all valves.

Now £147 a month train fare was apparently not sustainable for my parents - after all, if my dad didn't buy a £2500 HiFi the world would implode, and what's a child's education compared to marginally better music?! So I ended up at another college - but they used differnt exam bodies so wouldn't accept my first year in Physics and Chemistry (the Chemistry lecturer didn't even let me onto the course...). So I went from doing a Computer Science A level (plus Phys and Chem) to doing Biology, Maths, and Physics ... and CLAIT - Computer Literacy and Information Technology. The first HOUR long class was "turning on a computer and booting into Windows 95 and safely shutting down" !! Computers were out of date and slow... meh!

Then another year later and my dad pulled funding again, telling me to get a full time job or get homeless... Turns out his expensive amp and turntable needed a CD player and new speakers and a TV...

NESCOT wasn't local... so if you ignore that then my generation of local types got progressively less computing teaching... from learning BASIC, to just about printing, to no proper classes and only having a bolt on class dedicated to turning computers on and off... while computers got more important and more widespread the local schools provided LESS ...

My step brother went to the same college as me - they now have a computing class - a proper-ish one and they have decent computers aplenty
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited September 2013
    Emp_Fab said:
    Me too !!  I loved my FX-80 !  Possibly where my initial interest in computers started.  I
    had no interest in computers at all.  Took an O and A level in 1 year when  I went back to resit 1 of my A levels in 85/86 as  I thought it might be useful.  Got into the 'trade' by accident really....it was more to do with going for a job where Id be using me brain, being slightly techie and travelling round the s/west..... still have no / very little interest in them outside of my job.
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • bertie said:
     still have no / very little interest in them outside of my job.
    persactly. I'm more interested in them when I'm getting paid!
  • Ok enough about computers I raise you Telex machines
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3584
    When I went to college the business computing course was all about punched cards.

• ESBlonde said:
    When I went to college the business computing course was all about punched cards.

they made good roach ;)
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    They didn't have computers when I were at skool. We had to have our own slide rules and sets of log tables anyway.
    So ... your Dad recorded your birth on his iPhone did he?

I think there's every chance they know they're born ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    edited September 2013
    Emp_Fab said:
    bertie said:
    we were Oxbridge............... casio FX-80     for me
    Me too !!  I loved my FX-80 !  Possibly where my initial interest in computers started.  I took my O Levels in 1980 too, so it looks like we were in the same year.  I remember going to the local computer shop in school lunchtimes to stare in awe at the *Colour* Apple II machine they had.

Did anyone else have one of these...

I still have mine and one of these too

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3680/9687499906_7ddfe1fe3a.jpg

The former being no good as a calculator and the latter being not much good as a drum machine. should have bought the 606!

• ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    edited September 2013
    Oops double post

• WTF is school ?

• frankus said:
    They didn't have computers when I were at skool. We had to have our own slide rules and sets of log tables anyway.
    So ... your Dad recorded your birth on his iPhone did he?

I think there's every chance they know they're born ;)
    If it were fashion in those days for dads to record births, he'd have used his Ensign Selfix (I've still got it) with a 120 size roll of FerraniaColor reversal film.

@ROOG I've still got a Boss Dr Rhythm. You're quite right about it being not much good, the sounds are well cheesy, but its User Interface was easy enough to learn & use, it kept me in time, and with a couple of books entitled "Rhythm Dictionary" it taught me a fair bit about drum beats.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    WTF is school ?

That empty place you went on weekends in your younger days.....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• We started computing at school in about 87 on some old commodore PETs. I'd been programming on an electron for two years. Our poor maths teacher was tasked with teaching the class with me teaching him the day before. I got a lot of time of is lieu.
    My physics teacher was the best. He set the sports ground on fire when teaching us what happens when you mix H and O, via the use to a bottle of compressed H and a bottle of O, a lunch trolley and a cone made in metal shop.
    This boys is how a jet engine works.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    WTF is school ?
    Bit like those mills you worked in, 'cept less cripplings.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Our school had a pretty decent setup for the day - a full network (Econet, as I recall) of BBC Bs, BBC Masters and a few Archimedes pretty much as soon as they came out.

We discovered a fantastic vulnerability in the network - you could directly access the network port on your computer, and almost trivially gain full read/write access to the keyboard buffer on any other computer. Aside from the obvious use of this (changing the teachers' passwords on a daily basis), we came up with an brilliant way to spook the hell out of the other kids (particularly the bullies). The old Beeb had a pair of relays used to switch the tape motor on and off - we'd randomly put swearwords in while they were typing up their homework for a while to get them on edge, then send a program directly through the keyboard buffer which switched the relay on and off as fast as the computer could manage (very loud, nasty buzzing sound), while repeating scary-sounding messages on the screen.

When you're one of the geeky kids, there's absolutely nothing more satisfying than watching the kid who was beating you up in the playground run out of the room crying. Looking back, it was a bit cruel, but...ah, hell, they deserved it at the time ;)
    <space for hire>
  • Ok enough about computers I raise you Telex machines
    I did a Baudot/Ascii character set translator for the Hasler Mk III telex machine in 1987, written in 8086 assembler.