US tele tuners a bit 'steppy'

What's Hot
On my 2007 tele, the stock fender tuners seem a bit steppy or notchy. Adjusting the tension screw on the tuner doesn't seem to alter it - is that just the way they are? Can't say I've especially noticed it before.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    edited July 2014
    I've never found this with any tuner - the problem is almost always strings binding in the nut or at the string tree. Lubricating with pencil lead or Nut Sauce should help.

Due you always tune up, from below the desired pitch?

If you tune down, any 'play' in the tuner's gearing can cause the issue describe, but simply always tuning up, will cure this.

If you inadvertently tune a string sharp, flatten it below the desired pitch and go back up again.

I have a set of original Klusons (not the worlds most finely engineered design) on a 50 year old Gibson. As long as they are used as I've described, I never have any tuning difficulties with them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Normally give years of good service. If they have failed or gotten sloppy I have a spare set here you are welcome to.
  • I do the 'always tune up not down' thing, and am fairly confident the nut isn't binding, but as it's due for a string change anyway I'll put some graphite in there and see. Might be the strings are a bit elderly in any case. 

Thanks for the offer of the tuners :)

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    edited July 2014
    noisepolluter;298415" said:
    I do the 'always tune up not down' thing, and am fairly confident the nut isn't binding, but as it's due for a string change anyway I'll put some graphite in there and see. Might be the strings are a bit elderly in any case.
    Is it an American Standard? The string trees on those seem particularly prone to tuning issues.

To eliminate them from the equation, try removing them and see if the problem still exists. The break angle over the nut will be insufficient, so leaving them off is probably to an option but it's a way of helping to diagnose the problem.