'81 Tubescreamer Valuation

What's Hot
RichValentineRichValentine Frets: 142
I am going through all my music gear as I realised my insurance vs. my current gear is a little off. I have a couple of vintage pedals that I am going to add and wondered if anyone here had more experience valuing pedals.

Of note the ones I am most concerned about replacing in the unfortunate event they ever get nicked are:

1978 Deluxe Memory Man - 4 knob Blueface
1981 Ibanez TS 808 w/ JRC 4558D

Any idea on values beyond just checking eBay?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Checking eBay completed listings will tell you what they actually sell for so give you an idea of why it would cost to replace them. Anything else is just somebody's opinion - and when it comes to valuations can be way out!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Have you tried eBay completed listings? (not to condescend sorry)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've had a look but the price range varies massively. Do I just insure for highest price?
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    I sold one a couple of yrs back for £220 (to Joe Bonamassa as it transpired, which was nice).

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    For a company to pay out, they are likely to want a written valuation by someone credible. 'Over insuring' them will cost you more in premiums but not necessarily result in you being paid out the amount they are insured for, if the company believes them to be worth less at the point of loss.

Do you gig them? If you don't, the chance of loss is very small - if you do, I would use a cheap, readily replaceable modern alternative.
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Gassage said:
    I sold one a couple of yrs back for £220 (to Joe Bonamassa as it transpired, which was nice).

I really hope you signed it beforehand, that'd be so cool!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Gassage said:
    Not a fan, but that's pretty amazing!
    viz said:
    Gassage said:

I really hope you signed it beforehand, that'd be so cool!
    OK- so here's the thing- I had, at the time, a LP Bonamassa Gold Top (the original CS Relics, number 291.) He did the meet and greet tp sign it as he did with all of the 300-  I told him about said TS and he wanted it- so when I gave to him, he MADE me sign it. Warren, his roadie emailed me pics with it from the BETH sessions...

I'll try dig them out- I deffo have one of the Gold Top with me and Joe.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2014

That Gold Top got about- 10 points for recognising the guy playing it in my music room below:

And here is said TS9

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Peter Frampton with the Gold Top isn't it?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Peter Frampton with the Gold Top isn't it?
    Nope. I'd say it's an even better player than Frampton. Altough technically the guy pictured succeeded Frampton with a certain gig.

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22111
    Never knew Mike Gatting played guitar. 

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    C'mon on....this guy is seriously interplanetary.....

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    edited July 2014
    Is that Reeves Gabrels? He, Frampton and Peter Gabriel all look alike to me. And Mike Gatting.

And to be helpful - the TS is worth around the 220-250 mark, depending on condition. The MM, maybe 350. Again, depends on nick.
    edited July 2014
    Gassage;299243" said:
    C'mon on....this guy is seriously interplanetary.....
    Bloody hell - if it's that bloke out of the Mars Volta - he's really aged! (Though he looks better with short hair....)
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited August 2014
    I'd go with Reeves Gabriel too and there's the Bowie link for him and Frampton but well done JDE if you're right.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31579
    I sold a 1981 TS 808 a few weeks ago for £225 on eBay, it was well battered with no serial number label but perfect working order, if that's any help.
  • Awesome. Cheers for the help. Mine is in pretty good nick but no serial number label either. So I guess only a little more than that. Ebay has some at 350-450 sold but that seems a lot...
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31579
    I checked out the guy who bought mine and he's a dealer in vintage gear, so he obviously knew he could turn a decent profit out of mine.

It probably explains the top prices on completed listings, he's probably selling to the US. I couldn't be arsed with the risk or hassle tbh, so I didn't allow international buyers.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    Kebabkid said:
    I'd go with Reeves Gabriel too and there's the Bowie link for him and Frampton but well done JDE if your right.

I was thinking more Reeves and MORTIMER!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>