Fender Deluxe Reverb RI - clean headroom

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72246
    edited July 2014
    GuyBoden said:
    I have an old Deluxe Reverb, they break up very early, so they aren't very good for clean headroom at loud gigs. The only way to get more headroom is to change the output/input Transformers to 40+watts
    Not entirely true. Fitting 6L6s increases the clean headroom and punch of the sound quite noticeably. (Not plug and play, it needs a rebias, which may be outside the range of the trimmer so you need to change a resistor.) If you do that, you can also fit a solid-state rectifier as well, which gives a bit more again.

Another option is to change the speaker. Rather oddly, the DR is mismatched as stock, and actually loses a bit of power and headroom when driving the standard 8-ohm speaker - the true match is closer to 16 ohms. (This is why fitting 6L6s increases the power, rather than decreasing it as would be expected if 8 ohms was the correct load for 6V6s.) So if you fit a 16-ohm speaker - and especially if you pick a very efficient one - you will get more power and volume even with 6V6s. A good candidate would be an Eminence Wizard 16.

If you went the whole hog with 6L6s, solid-state rectifier and a highly efficient 8-ohm speaker, you'd probably be pretty close to the volume at least of a Vibrolux, if not quite a Pro, but still at the size and weight of a Deluxe.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited July 2014
    ICBM - Would the standard PT in the DR or a reissue have enough oomph to supply the extra current draw of the 6L6's?
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    ICBM said:
    GuyBoden said:
    I have an old Deluxe Reverb, they break up very early, so they aren't very good for clean headroom at loud gigs. The only way to get more headroom is to change the output/input Transformers to 40+watts
    Not entirely true. Fitting 6L6s increases the clean headroom and punch of the sound quite noticeably. (Not plug and play, it needs a rebias, which may be outside the range of the trimmer so you need to change a resistor.) If you do that, you can also fit a solid-state rectifier as well, which gives a bit more again.

Another option is to change the speaker. Rather oddly, the DR is mismatched as stock, and actually loses a bit of power and headroom when driving the standard 8-ohm speaker - the true match is closer to 16 ohms. (This is why fitting 6L6s increases the power, rather than decreasing it as would be expected if 8 ohms was the correct load for 6V6s.) So if you fit a 16-ohm speaker - and especially if you pick a very efficient one - you will get more power and volume even with 6V6s. A good candidate would be an Eminence Wizard 16.

If you went the whole hog with 6L6s, solid-state rectifier and a highly efficient 8-ohm speaker, you'd probably be pretty close to the volume at least of a Vibrolux, if not quite a Pro, but still at the size and weight of a Deluxe.
    Yes, those changes are an easier option, but don't give as much clean headroom as installing bigger output/Input transformers and 6L6's.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    Kebabkid said:

just want to know whether the clean headroom is enough to stay clean and above a drummer for gigging?

No
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    GuyBoden said:

Yes, those changes are an easier option, but don't give as much clean headroom as installing bigger output/Input transformers and 6L6's.
    Not *as* much, no - but they go a fair way towards it without the expense and major work of replacing them, which is especially difficult for the PT since it needs the chassis cutout enlarging.

Personally, if I really needed *all* the extra headroom of the bigger transformers I would just get a Vibrolux rather than do that. But if you're trying to get a good compromise between increasing the headroom and keeping the smaller format, you can definitely make a useful difference without changing the transformers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042

All this has done is made me want a DRRI even more than I already did, which was quite a bit.  I couldn't give a rat's nadgers about clean headroom as I don't gig :D

Thanks Cos.  I'll send you the bill for the relationship counselling. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    Ah, always happy to help Jules :) This would be a lovely amp for you and it takes pedals so well and better than my H&K. Tell Mrs.McToot a Greek bearing gifts gave it you!
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2591
    Really excellent, informative thread.  Almost makes me wish I were contemplating a DRRI.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    edited July 2014
    I would love a DRRI for no other reason than they look great - blackface Fenders are my favourite 'look' and the Deluxe is perfectly proportioned.

Is finding an amp attractive unusual?
    I would love a DRRI for no other reason than they look great - blackface Fenders are my favourite 'look' and the Deluxe is perfectly proportioned.

Totally agree and "No" to the latter.

Someone mentioned the DRRI is now available as a head and I found this
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_65_deluxe_reverb_head.htm
    That's a useful format to have it in but the I'd go for the combo
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Have you seen this Cos......

I think it looks great, 25 watts of simple 6V6 goodness designed for high headroom. Not cheap, but not quite top end prices either.

Cheers D and that does look good although I've never got on with the Riveras I've tried before and I had a Fender Concert head (Rivera era) and it didn't really work for me. Of course, being a Carr user yourself, you'll know that they have their lovely 40W Slant 6V (4 6V6s) amongst their range but that costs a lorra lorra money!
    Kebabkid;300741" said:
    richardhomer said:

Totally agree and "No" to the latter.

Someone mentioned the DRRI is now available as a head and I found this

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_65_deluxe_reverb_head.htm

That's a useful format to have it in but the I'd go for the combo
    There's also a Custom Deluxe too that's a Silverface
    http://www.andertons.co.uk/combo-amps/pid30475/cid691/fender-68-custom-deluxe-reverb-guitar-amplifier.asp?LGWCODE=30475;56375;2717&utm_source=googlebase&utm_term=2274006000&utm_medium=pricecomp&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=CKGfyLDA2b8CFVHKtAodSRYAGw
    dindude said:
    Have you seen this Cos......

I think it looks great, 25 watts of simple 6V6 goodness designed for high headroom. Not cheap, but not quite top end prices either.

My god that is ugly!

• I would love a DRRI for no other reason than they look great - blackface Fenders are my favourite 'look' and the Deluxe is perfectly proportioned.

The amount of times I've ended up noodling in the spare room, the DRRI having caught my eye as I walked past in the middle of something else. The lacquered tweed Blues Junior lined up next to it also helps  :)