iPad app latency - ideas?

guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
edited July 2014 in Amps
Does anyone else experience noticeable latency when using iPad guitar apps?

I've got a Mini Retina and a Line 6 Sonic Port.  I'm using Jam Up, or Bias.  I'm engaging the low latency modes in both programs yet still feeling quite a bit of latency.  Bias seems to feel worse than Jam Up.  It isn't unplayable but it is noticeably worse than for example using a plugin on a laptop, or using my Pod HD.

Anyone have any ideas?  Or do I have unrealistic expectations?  I've never felt that playing through guitar plugins on a PC/laptop has felt this sluggish.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm using Sonic Port and Bias/Jam up on my iPad 3 & not noticed any latency, even with YouTube running as well for a backing track?

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27453
    I've not noticed any latency with various iterations of the iPad, interfaces, and JamUp versions.

Try closing any other running apps, and even doing a power down/up and see if the problem persists ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited July 2014
    I'm using Sonic Port and Bias/Jam up on my iPad 3 & not noticed any latency, even with YouTube running as well for a backing track?

The same for me .. no latency at all. Try the Line 6 forums - there are some clever techies over there.

http://line6.com/support/forum/66-sonic-port-mobile-in/

Looks like there might be an issue with the Retina .. I have a standard iPad 3.

http://line6.com/support/topic/4021-sonic-port-is-incompatible-with-iphone-5s-and-ipad-air/

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26956
    TTony said:
    I've not noticed any latency with various iterations of the iPad, interfaces, and JamUp versions.

Try closing any other running apps, and even doing a power down/up and see if the problem persists ...
    Never had trouble but this is good advice - most people don't realise that apps stay open in the background if you don't close them yourself.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    TTony said:

Haven't got an IPad yet (despite the kids' nagging). 

BUT when I upgraded my MAC Operating System on the desktop and upgraded Garageband as part of the package, I did notice quite marked latency, whereas before I'd never had any with previous versions. 

So FWIW my remedy was to close all other programmes that were running and closing then restarting Garageband. 

This does seem to work, so as TTony says I'd do that to start with. 
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    I think that will be a good plan to start with.  Feel slightly embarrassed to say I didn't think of trying that first of all.  I will give it a shot tonight to see if it works.

It finally happened.  I took so long to join the tablet generation that I've become one of those 'not computer people'...  I can work a Macbook, honestly.

Updated to latest iOS, restarted, closed all open programs. Now jam up is fine, I still perceive slightly more latency in bias but not sure if my mind is tricking me. Both playable now regardless. Mission accomplished, thanks guys!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27453
    :)

Now you can really have some fun.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    It is quite fun indeed!  I need to try running bias with cab sims off into a guitar cab.  I wonder how far iPad/iPhone apps and solutions will come along in the next 5 years... who knows, we might all be plugging iPads in to power amps and using bluetooth floorboards.   :))
    guitarfishbay said:
    It is quite fun indeed!  I need to try running bias with cab sims off into a guitar cab.  I wonder how far iPad/iPhone apps and solutions will come along in the next 5 years... who knows, we might all be plugging iPads in to power amps and using bluetooth floorboards.   :))
    There are guys gigging with a Sonic Port ... you can plug it straight into an amp or PA. The same is true for people using Amplitube.

Yep I've already used the Sonic Port as an acoustic pre-amp for an open mic set, it worked well except for a bit of latency - but since I could hear my acoustic guitar loud enough I didn't have much trouble.  Since restarting/updating/closing programs I don't seem to have any latency problems any more so next acoustic set we do will feel better for me.
    Actually regarding Amplitube - if I already have the desktop plus most expansions do I need to rebuy stuff?  Right now I'm happy enough with Jam Up but if I've already got the Amplitube stuff it seems a shame to not load it up anyway.
    edited July 2014
    Yep I've already used the Sonic Port as an acoustic pre-amp for an open mic set, it worked well except for a bit of latency - but since I could hear my acoustic guitar loud enough I didn't have much trouble.  Since restarting/updating/closing programs I don't seem to have any latency problems any more so next acoustic set we do will feel better for me.
    Excellent .. pleased to hear it. I plug mine into a battery powered Cube amp. It ensures I can go busking when things get tight ... ;-)

edited July 2014
    I've got a Microcube, that is a good idea actually.  I reckon I'd get better tones using the iPad than I would with just the microcube, for high gain anyway.  I just use it for writing sessions but it isn't hard to take the iPad too.

I've actually tried the Microcube through a GT1000FX into a 4x12, and while it wouldn't win any tone awards (had to run the tone high to compensate for what I presume is speaker sim on the line out) it was great fun to hear it with so much available power.