Mic 101 Me, Please

I've got one of those Line 6 UX1 things that I sometimes destroy all confidence with and record myself playing on, but now my daughter fancies warbling along for some reason and I find I need to buy a microphone. Not looking to spend the earth, so what would people suggest?

(Be nice if I could also record hanging from my amp too, but not sure if that is a runner or a seperate thing all together ??)

In summary, help :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    If you want the hanging mic style you need an Sen e609 type side address mic - i use one for gigs and it's great but for home use you can choose something more "conventional".

I don't think the ux1 has phantom power so unless you have a desk that does you need a dynamic mic - which won't be quite so useful for recording vocals but then if you in a normal room not fitted out with sound absorption that's not a bad thing. 
    For guitar the standard answer is an sm57 but these work ok for vocals as well as an sm58  (they are the same mic just a different headcover).  
    Alternatively i would suggest a senn e845 as a nice cheapish vocal mic   or the shure beta 57 (an instrument mic that works great on vocals).
    For micing a guitar speaker you can get decent results from almost all dynamic vocal mic's.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom