I might buy a banjo!

What's Hot
Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7750
edited July 2014 in Acoustics
because it might be fun!

nothing too expensive, I like the idea of turning up to an acoustic open mic. with something different.

no idea what to buy though, and I've only had four or five banjos to fix in the last 10 years so no regular experience of them
"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4169
    edited July 2014

Highly recommend banjosdirect.co.uk

Two essential types of banjo, corresponding to two essential ways of playing:

Closed-back/resonator - usually played "Scruggs-style" - thumb and finger picks, banjo rolls, bluegrass style

Open back - usually played clawhammer aka frailing style. Old time appalachian style.

You can play either style on either type of instrument but it won't sound quite righ imo.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7750
    it'll be strumming rather than picking, I'm sure :)

something like this :

though I'm also considering trying the washboard too ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    I find banjos impossible to play properly. I'm not totally sure why, and it's not the unfamiliar stringing/tuning - although having a machinehead halfway up the neck is just stupid! - because I even tried a 6-string "guitarist's cheating banjo" and it was just as bad. Must be something to do with the feel of it. Even more surprisingly, I play guitar with fingers only and do some occasional "banjo style" things on it, so I would have expected it to be easy. Wrong…

What's the difference between a mandolin and a banjo?

A banjo burns longer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LewyLewy Frets: 4169
    edited July 2014

Ahhh....I assumed you meant 5-string banjo....for that trad jazzy strum style you're looking at 4 string tenor banjo. You can always tune it in "Chicago" tuning where the intervals are the same as the top four strings on a guitar and not need to learn anything new :)

I used to have a nice short-scale tenor banjo made by Grafton...inexpensive and lots of fun.

Whats the difference between a banjo and a vaccuum cleaner?

It's easier to detach the dirtbag from a vacuum cleaner.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    You know, there are only a few types of music that are positively guaranteed to bring a smile to my face. Yes, I adore Satriani, Gary Moore, Adrian Legg, Electronica and classical to name an eclectic few, but they stir a range of emotions that rarely make me really grin.

But Scott Joplin ragtime and banjo are the ones for me.

I would LOVE to learn banjo rolls. I'd literally play them all the time. Everywhere. Cos I could.

I think your idea of buying one is excellent and you may well have inspired me to get off my plectrum fuelled arse and do it.
  • benvallbenvall Frets: 83
    I've got a cheap tanglewood 5 string banjo. It's great fun. I found the basic rolls pretty easy to pick up and I don't play any other finger style playing. Travis picking I find really hard.

I'd get a basic book with a cd and play along, I can't remember the one I had but it had a few fun songs in. They usually all have an easy version of foggy mountain breakdown.

Oh, great for playing in G, it's a pain having to retune and capo different frets for different keys.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I fancy one as well. I'd also love a washboard! How cool are they!
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    banjo = nasty plicky sound with no tone or sustain

/troll
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1904
    In Frailer's guitar shop in Runcorn there is a sign in the toilet that says "Please wash your hands" to which somebody has added "after playing the banjos".
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Will be doing some baking this evening, does anyone have a good recipe for banjo rolls?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    imalone said:
    Will be doing some baking this evening, does anyone have a good recipe for banjo rolls?
    You'll need a large meat cleaver and chopping board, and a barbecue grille.

And some rolls to cook on the barbecue once the banjo is burning nicely.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    Deering banjos are made properly in the US and start from about £300.

Eagle music is worth looking at, they sell the most banjos in the uk, and more Deering banjos than anywhere else in the world!
    banjo plan on hold as I've ordered an EHX Organ Machine instead :)
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2406
    A quick joke about banjos.

Basically, a guy ran back to his car 'cos he left his banjo on the back seat in full view of potential thieves.  By the time he got to his automobile, the back window was smashed in big time, glass everywhere. "Oh no, not the banjo, please," he uttered in anguish.  As he approached the scene and peered through the gaping hole of his car, to his bewilderment not only was his banjo lying on the seat unscathed, there was another one too.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I got a 5-string banjo.. it's so much fun…
    I never seem to find quite enough time to play it these days...
    play every note as if it were your first