Line 6 M13

What's Hot
badlydrawnbanjobadlydrawnbanjo Frets: 855
edited July 2014 in FX
Are they any good? Is it good enough to use just on it's own? I already use a DL4 and a verbzilla on my board so it wouldn't be a massive departure from where I'm at now and it could be a one stop shop...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I use the m5, superb quality effects and definitely good enough to gig with
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4133
    The M13 is great, wish I still had one. They are still super expensive - very surprised there hasn't been a new model yet. But L6 seems to have given up on innovation. 

I stupidly sold my M13 to get a POD HD500 - which is an unfuriating mess (anyone want to buy it?) :)

• UnorthodoxUnorthodox Frets: 395
    The M13 is great, wish I still had one. They are still super expensive - very surprised there hasn't been a new model yet. But L6 seems to have given up on innovation. 

I stupidly sold my M13 to get a POD HD500 - which is an unfuriating mess (anyone want to buy it?) :)
    What is it you don't like about the HD500?
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I loved mine, only sold it because I was skint! It did so many things well, and some thing really really well!

It is identical to the dl4 and verbzilla just with more flexibility. Plus everything more of course

I couldn't recommend it enough :)
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    I gigged with one for ages. The mods, verbs and delays are absolutely excellent. The drives take a bit of getting used to but some of the models are really quite good once you've dialled them in, especially the RAT and the Tube Drive. You can use it in 4CM and position the loop anywhere between one of the four banks which is a great feature. If you get one make sure you also get at least one expression pedal which can adjust almost any of an effect's parameters, e.g. delay time, feedback, volume, gain etc.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    I had one for ages, I miss the looper. The delays I didnt like but if you're down with the DL4 then they should be ok for you.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    M9 and M13 are awesome. The effects are great - PARTICULARLY the delays - the verbs are so-so though imho. If Zoom, Digitech, TC Electronic, or even Line 6 themselves, did nothing but clone the M9 and M13 pedals and workflows, but updated the effects algorithms.... yet again they'd be a complete winner for another 6 years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3315
    My m9 is always on my board. Provides all delays, modulations and Wahs.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4133

What is it you don't like about the HD500?
    The signal routing is a complete mess. L6 don't seem to understand it themselves - as it is never really explained in the manual correctly. The best way to use it for a single-amp patch is put everything in one channel - but that is never explained. So what happens is most people use it in a way that messes up the signal from their guitar before it hits the modelled amps - then assume that the two outputs to the mixer section are the LR stereo channels. It doesn't work like this, there are two separate stereo channels and the HD works better if you keep them apart. But it can be very confusing to do so because it's so badly designed and explained. 

The way levels drop within the device at various stages makes setting up the four cable method and absolute nightmare. There's so much tweaking required to get it somewhere usable is really annoying and often requires using extra FX blocks to boost the signal because the devices own hardware controls don't do the job. The FX loops is particularly bad - noisy and not fit for purpose.

Meanwhile the M13 is a doddle to do 4CM, just plug in the cables, set the FX loop location and off you go. HD500 should have been like this - but isn't. The firmware is a mess and I'm assuming the FX loop problems are shity hardware.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12352
    Love my M13. Most of the fx are brilliant, the drives maybe a bit less so, but they're still perfectly usable if a bit on the fizzy side. The only thing I really don't like is the wahs. They work perfectly well, it's just I've never found an expression pedal with the proper travel to make it feel like a proper wah.
  • UnorthodoxUnorthodox Frets: 395
    edited July 2014
    The signal routing is a complete mess. L6 don't seem to understand it themselves - as it is never really explained in the manual correctly. The best way to use it for a single-amp patch is put everything in one channel - but that is never explained. So what happens is most people use it in a way that messes up the signal from their guitar before it hits the modelled amps - then assume that the two outputs to the mixer section are the LR stereo channels. It doesn't work like this, there are two separate stereo channels and the HD works better if you keep them apart. But it can be very confusing to do so because it's so badly designed and explained. 

The way levels drop within the device at various stages makes setting up the four cable method and absolute nightmare. There's so much tweaking required to get it somewhere usable is really annoying and often requires using extra FX blocks to boost the signal because the devices own hardware controls don't do the job. The FX loops is particularly bad - noisy and not fit for purpose.

Meanwhile the M13 is a doddle to do 4CM, just plug in the cables, set the FX loop location and off you go. HD500 should have been like this - but isn't. The firmware is a mess and I'm assuming the FX loop problems are shity hardware.
    Heh after reading that about the mix levels even I'm confused lol.
  • boogieman said:
    Love my M13. Most of the fx are brilliant, the drives maybe a bit less so, but they're still perfectly usable if a bit on the fizzy side. The only thing I really don't like is the wahs. They work perfectly well, it's just I've never found an expression pedal with the proper travel to make it feel like a proper wah.
    Mission engineering make one from a crybaby shell but it's pricey. 
    I made my own using an old crybaby shell and a dunlop hot potz bass wah pot, works a treat and gives the right amount of travel for wahing - assuming you like crybabys natch. 
  • I decided to stick with stand alone pedals and treat myself to a new board and power brick in the end. Cheers for all the advice.