Bonamassa/Page tones

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15924
edited July 2014 in FX
BIG loud CLEAN, no hair/fizzy fuzzy wuzzy.........just sustain, ala above cats........a cookin' valve amp and which OD pedals?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MattGMattG Frets: 170
    surely for page tones you just want a mk2 tonebender?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    I can't say I see any similarity between those two.

Smooth, fuzzy, indistinct, and somehow distant versus spiky, clumsy, in-yer-face raggedness.

I don't think anyone makes a pedal for either of those, are you sure it's a gear issue at all and not just about musicians?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Hasn't JoBo got his own MXR(?) drive pedal?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• MattGMattG Frets: 170
    mike_l said:
    Yeah but if you want his sound i think you need to run that into a crancked marshall with a fuzz face
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    For Pagey tones a Mkii Tonebender or clone for the early stuff.

Other Pagey tones? I'd have to say based on what he did himself you
    won't go too far wrong with an amp and riding the volume control.
    Maybe a decent TS style OD or boost pedal for solos/ loud bits.

Yes Pagey's tone sometimes gets heavily overdriven but I think more often than not the amp is set on the edge of breakup. He's always riding the volume control too.

Catalinbread do the RAH pedal which is meant to replicate his tone around 1970, but that's an ineractive type pedal that reacts with the volume control and how hard you play.

PGS Andy does a great review of it which illustrates all this.
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 845
    A lot of Page's early tones were through Vox solid state 7 series amps. There's a guy building a pedal that replicates that tone called a Lumpys Lemon Drop, you have to buy them from the states but they're very reasonable.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • therose789therose789 Frets: 467

Filth 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    MattG said:
    mike_l said:
    Yeah but if you want his sound i think you need to run that into a crancked marshall with a fuzz face

I thought it was to use instread of the Fuzz?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    This clip almost convinced me to buy a Catalinbread RAH..

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    hootsmon;20175" said:
    BIG loud CLEAN, no hair/fizzy fuzzy wuzzy.........just sustain, ala above cats........a cookin' valve amp and which OD pedals?
    I would describe Page's 'tone' as the polar opposite of this.

'SMALL, lots o'hair/fizzy fuzzy wuzzy......nae sustain' if you require it in Scotish.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6434
    As others have said, for Page tones use less gain than you'd expect, and ride the volume pot of your guitar.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    You could base it on the reunion gig - just loads of modulation and delay so everything sounds like it is being played by a speeding ice cream van going through a tunnel.

I have seen a couple of Zep tributes and they had some nice gear but its the phrasing and the vibrato that they can't capture.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^ @EricTheWeary - This is true. I wouldn't imagine anybody on the planet would want to emulate the godawful sounds that were coming out of Page's amps at the O2 show....(Except for In My Time Of Dying on the jazzbox thingum with a slide...sounded alright IIRC).

The guy who plays bass in my band also happens to be the guitarist in Fred Zeppelin (as of fairly recently - for a while he was their bassist)...I've yet to see them live though!

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    ^ @EricTheWeary - This is true. I wouldn't imagine anybody on the planet would want to emulate the godawful sounds that were coming out of Page's amps at the O2 show....(Except for In My Time Of Dying on the jazzbox thingum with a slide...sounded alright IIRC).

The guy who plays bass in my band also happens to be the guitarist in Fred Zeppelin (as of fairly recently - for a while he was their bassist)...I've yet to see them live though!

I have - really enjoyable, I must see them again. Their guitarist is great but you do hear how he doesn't get the feel right, it is a tiny thing really but you would know with your eyes shut it isn't Page.

[googles]

Fred Zeppelin and Sack Sabbath this Friday at the Robin 2. Hmm. Too much standing for MrsTheWeary so she won't come. I wonder if I can talk the Eric Jr's into it...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11807
    JB actually commented on his own forum the rig that he uses and how he gets his sound.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    For JoBo tones, as he himself as demonstrated, get a Hot Rod Deluxe and turn the gain up. Then turn the tone control down on your guitar to get that indistinct, whoolly and whiney sound...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I'm sure it's out of date, but here's your shopping list:

For that JoBo tone, simply get a reeeeeeaally long guitar lead.

Set your gain quite high, and your master volume quite high too.

Wrap your amp in a large duvet, put amp and duvet into your bedroom wardrobe, shut the door as far as the lead will allow, retreat downstairs, again shutting all doors as far as your lead will allow.

Put earplugs in...and play. Instant JoBo tone.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    Its the sonic equivalent of the Dolly Parton quote... "It costs a lot of money to look this cheap"
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 905
    There's a Joe Bonnamassa rig run through on Youtube.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/