Why don't my effing tones work?

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
edited July 2014 in Making & Modding
Major frustration alert, Ive rewired my Strat scratch plate twice now and the switch works, the volume works the tones don't……..

I used this wiring diagram new wire new cap new 250k pots but B not A could that be the issue, Ive got 250k A pots in the mail, also used a .47 cap………Grrrrrrrr! If you see a loaded Strat scratplate flying by, you know Ive launched it. 

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72241
    Have you got a ground connection from the neck tone pot to the volume pot?

If it goes via the shielding on the pickguard it can sometimes make a bad contact - better to solder a wire.

If it's not that, have you remembered the link wire between the two sides on the switch?

It's hard to think of anything else other than those two things - or a faulty cap, which can happen - which will stop *both* tones working.

The value you need for the cap is .047uF not .47uF by the way - although a .47 will be *too* effective, not too little. A (Log) is the correct taper for tone pots, although B (Linear) will work at the bottom end, it will just have a very narrow/abrupt range.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    edited July 2014
    All the pots are earthed to each other and then to the jack, and trem claw. Although the switch isn't, its an Oak Grigsby jobby, and although Im not sure if it makes a difference, I didn't realise until I'd fitted it its a 4 way not 5, I'm waiting for a reply from ebay to get the five way that I ordered. I meant .047 cap!......perhaps the cap is FUBAR..........ordered more! Switch jumper wire is there..... Paul
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Just had a thought, yes, it was lonely.......I ordered a 5 way switch but received a 4 way, didn't realise until I had fitted it......the 5th position obviously doesn't engage.....and the 4th position is middle/neck, so in the 4th position would the 2 tones not work due to the switch arrangement? Paul

You can't wire a 4-way switch like that and have the tones work. The 4-way is a true 4-throw switch, whereas the 5-way is a 3-way with two extra mechanical notches.

If you have the switch selecting both middle and neck pickups it can't be also connecting the caps.

There's also the possibility with an Oak Grigsby that the switch is not made properly and the 'fingers' aren't quite touching the rotor - I've come across two like this recently. Very poor QC.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited July 2014
    Bet its the 4 way, what a muppet! At least our village can stop looking for an idiot now! Theres me thinking Ill use what Fender use to find out there are quality issues....Doh! Paul

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If it's not too late to change what you've ordered for a 5-way, get a CRL not an Oak Grigsby. I've never seen a faulty one and I've always thought they feel more positive in use as well.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ill hopefully get a replacement 5 way as the shop sent the wrong switch....so I will give that a go first, if no good Ill swap out to a CRL. Don't suppose the supplier will be very chuffed getting a soldered 4 way back......but then should have sent the right one....... Paul