Starcaster tweaked

What's Hot
martmart Frets: 5205
edited July 2014 in Making & Modding
After lusting for a while, I finally bought one of these off meltedbuzzbox. Added the Bigsby cos I is a bit addicted to a bit of vibrato. Replaced the pickups with Oil City Ash's finest, and all the electrics just for the masochistic thrill of re-wiring a semi. And now I'm just faced with the final dilemma: pickguard or no?
What say you?
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2374
    No - looks great without it :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    No.  Seems to break up the flow a bit.  Maybe a bit cluttered.  IMHO of course :).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Yes to the scratchplate.

And well done :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Bigbsy looks good though.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10264
    tFB Trader
    Glad to see a proper Starcaster sporting my Buccaneers :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    edited July 2014
    No pickguard. Looks cluttered with it.

Not having it also shows off the offset f-holes much better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Cool guitar! nice work. I'm another vote for no pickguard... :)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    edited July 2014
    Nice.
    Do these have proper cunife widerangers?
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10264
    edited July 2014 tFB Trader
    None of Fenders current lineup have CuNiFe as standard I believe.
    Mind you I don't see that as a minus ... CuNiFe is a god awful choice of magnet material for practicality and longevity. Problem is that Fender these days don't even get the basic principals of what an original  WR was about: magnetised poles rather than bar magnets, Wide, flat bobbins for bass response ... and a steel inductance plate for tone.
    CuNiFi is inherently very unstable as a magnetic material, and loses its charge far faster and more easily than alnico. Many 1970s WRs have long since died through decaying magnets.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

edited July 2014
    Have you seen these?
    IIRC one for the guys on TPDRI makes them.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    $450 each!! :-O

I actually think CuNiFe may have been chosen in order to make threading and slotting it easier than with Alnico, rather than for its magnetic properties, but TheGuitarWeasel will know better than me...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yup, they aren't cheap.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Thanks for all the comments, folk. Looks like the pickguard will be coming off for good. I never really thought about it as the guitar looked so good to me in it's original state. But when I was reassembling it, before putting the guard on I noticed that it looked very good without. But I had to put it back on to make the comparison and be sure which was best. You've (mostly!) confirmed my instincts.

Yes, as Ash says, the pickups are his Buccaneer wide-rangers which, I have to say, he did me a fantastic deal on. No, not cunife, but I wouldn't want the hassle of its instability. And these make a wonderful sound.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Looks great dude. I'd have been tempted to put some chrome humbucker sized p90s in personally but either way looks awesome. 
  • No to the pickguard, yes to an awesome looking guitar!
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    Better without the pickguard, but looks cool.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    I really want to try one of these...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Did I mention the buy back clause on that Starcaster @Mart :-)

Im glad its got some decent pickups and electrics in it. It's a great playing guitar. 

I would love to hear a clip if you make one

And I think pickguard off. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.