Properly crapping myself

I've lost count of the number of gigs I've played in the last 3 or 4 years, but my new band's officially got its first gig booked for about 3 months after we first played together. I didn't especially want to do it so soon, but it's a very emotional night for the singer and she desperately wanted to, so...

25th October it is.

Jeez.

I've been trying to figure out exactly why I'm so nervous. I think it's because, unlike BHD's stuff, most of this band's material started in my head. I've got that dreadful, "Are people going to like it?" thing bouncing round in my head.
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    It'll be a great one!   Good musicians and good tunes - what can go wrong :)

But i get what you mean - i've done thousands of gigs and it's hard to get any nerves these days but if it's a band playing my songs -  that is a whole different situation and i get that pre gig tension that I crave.  

You don't need it I'm sure - but good luck :)
  • We may well need it...I wasn't planning on gigging for another two or three months after that. I honestly don't think we'll be completely gig-ready, which is only adding to the nerves.

With BHD, probably two out of 20-odd songs were mine, and we'd been together for quite a while before we played them live.

With all that said, I'm listening to three songs we just recorded with a field mic at rehearsal...and I keep listening to them, because they're exactly the kind of music I like. I'm pretty sure that's bad form, but I don't care at this point. As long as we get the right energy into the performance, I'm (slightly) less concerned about getting it note-perfect.
    <space for hire>
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749

With all that said, I'm listening to three songs we just recorded with a field mic at rehearsal...and I keep listening to them, because they're exactly the kind of music I like. I'm pretty sure that's bad form, but I don't care at this point. As long as we get the right energy into the performance, I'm (slightly) less concerned about getting it note-perfect.
    I think that's one of the main (and best) reason to do an original band - when you can hear a song in your head you wish someone did, so you do it.     Any more clips you feel like sharing?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17552
    tFB Trader
    It's almost certainly for the best. 

Pending gigs focus the mind. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10680
    Yes please share stuff!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I'd shit myself playing covers!

At least when people don't like my stuff or we fuck it up we can say "you just don't get it, maaaan".

(:|
  • If it's any consolation, I had to play a gig at a 'fun' day type effort with a few hundred people there. I was able to practice precisely zero times (and we played about ten cover songs) with the band before the gig and that went alright... (Might be able to locate a video if any of you want a laugh!) You'll be alright on the day, you'll be so focused on what you need to do it'll be over before you know it!
  • That's a month away! Don't start crapping yet - you'll be exhausted by the time the day arrives.

I think it is much much more exciting to do original material - so well done. Gigs are harder to come by - so well done. You've got energy in the songs - so well done.

Break a leg (but not too soon)
  • Better now than in 3 months so you can actually test the songs.
    If the audience like them they will easily forgive a few mistakes here and there. :)