Has anybody tried...

What's Hot
...recording a highly distorted guitar at volume to get feedback but using a split signal through a DI box, then reamping it clean?

I'm wondering what the clean feedback would sound like. Might be an interesting effect.
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I've not tried that, but I do have a software feedback generator (I think it's Softube). 

It does a pretty good job of approximating proper 'dirty' feedback, but it can get really creative with clean sounds; haunting, spectral effects which sound good with reverb and/or delays.

As I say, haven't tried it in the way you mean, but it might yield similar results. Maybe?
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I imagine it'd sound kinda the same as an ebow sounds when you're not holding it directly over a pickup.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17585
    tFB Trader
    Great idea!

Would like to hear it.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    ...recording a highly distorted guitar at volume to get feedback but using a split signal through a DI box, then reamping it clean?

I'm wondering what the clean feedback would sound like. Might be an interesting effect.
    There is another way to do it.

Track using a DI'ed guitar and a plugin like Amplitube.
    Whilst tracking rest your guitars headstock on top of your audio monitors and turn up the volume.
    If you use the right amp tone you will get the guitar to feedback but you will still be tracking the clean signal.

I've done the 'resting the headstock on the monitor' trick loads in the past but never then re-amped it through a clean tone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cirrus said:
    I imagine it'd sound kinda the same as an ebow sounds when you're not holding it directly over a pickup.

I have done/heard it as a complete side-effect when mixing and this is more or less exactly how it sounds, albeit with less control.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • I liked @octatonic's idea. My recording device is different kit but it would be worth a try :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    I liked @octatonic's idea. My recording device is different kit but it would be worth a try :)
    Glad you dig it.
    It definitely works but you might have to piss about pulling sounds for a bit- you might have to go QUITE over the top with the gain.
    Resting headstock on the monitor just helps things along a bit as the speaker & guitar becomes one vibrating system (well, almost).
    You might want to try different guitars- it helps if the resonant frequency of the guitar neck is roughly the same as the speaker enclosure.
    You can do the math but actually it is quicker just to try a bunch of guitars, should you have a few there.
  • wouldn't going OTT with the gain introduce the distortion we didn't want? or am I being a bit thick here?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    edited September 2013
    wouldn't going OTT with the gain introduce the distortion we didn't want? or am I being a bit thick here?
    When you use a plugin the audio isn't being printed to disk- just the dry guitar is (dry as in DI guitar with no amp sim).
    The amp tone is applied for monitoring only.
    When you re-amp it you can use a clean tone.
  • fanx. I think I could do that with my Yamaha recorder by adding the FX to the monitored signal not to the recorded signal. may even use outboard FX for it.
  • Here is a 'reamping' of something I recorded with the Axe-FX II which was feeding back quite nicely. original the signal chain involved Fuzz Face and a Plexi so there was a bit of sqeaking when I was not watching what I was doing.

I have reamped via Logic's Amp Designer

and the result is this.

• Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited September 2013
    I should have pointed out this the recording above is over a backing track that @Fretwired provided for a forum task.
  • ...recording a highly distorted guitar at volume to get feedback but using a split signal through a DI box, then reamping it clean?

That's a great idea.

Zappa use to get clean feedbacked tones using some kind of 'harmonic exciter' rack unit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqWJG6htdus