RECOMMENDED DI BOXES FOR ACOUSTICS

What's Hot
What's good that's out there, does the job and doesn't cost a lot?

I'm using a Big Baby Taylor with a Rare Earth humbucker pickup and my current acoustic sound comes from a Roland Micro-Cube on the Acoustic Setting and I take a line out to the PA.

Is there anything with processing that's not as expensive as the Fishman stuff?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've tried tons and tons of DI's over the last 10 years. The best by far is the Radial stuff. Certainly not the cheapest but my God the difference in sound was astonishing. You can pick them up used for about £100.
  • These are my favourites at the moment and way too cheap!

"The Micro DI’s frequency response is essentially a flat line from about 15Hz to well over 50kHz (matching that of the Radial J48)." from Sound on Sound review this year 

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    +1 on the quality of orchid -  I've got a couple of the straight di boxes in my collection and they are superb...

Do you need the processing?    If so I loved the yamaha ag stomp but they can be hard to find now,  I use my dg stomp clean patches as a replacement if I need effects.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306
    edited September 2013
    Thanks chaps and Orchid Micro looks good
  • bob21bob21 Frets: 170
    The Radial stuff is very popular in the states, but over here you'd be more likely to find BSS and EMO in the toolboxes of pro audio companies. 
    For an active (requires phantom power from the desk) box, the standard is the BSS AR133. For a passive transformer box (no power required), the EMO DI is the one. 
    None of these have processing - the majority of decent DI boxes won't have. It's probably a better idea to get that in a pedal if you need it, and then use a DI box. With a decent DI though, I'd not have thought you'd need processing; other than anything that can be applied at the desk - reverb etc..
    Thanks Bob.

Re:Processing, apart from the Fishman, there were things like the Boss AD-8 that acted like a DI and included reverb and tuner and I just wondered if they, or anything similar, would be a good one-stop but you're right. It's better to get a good DI box and leave the rest to the desk/external processing.

Ta
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33792
    I use a Radial J48 a hell of a lot- it is the business.

The Peterson tuner has a decent DI too.
  • Kebabkid said:
    Thanks Bob.

Re:Processing, apart from the Fishman, there were things like the Boss AD-8 that acted like a DI and included reverb and tuner and I just wondered if they, or anything similar, would be a good one-stop but you're right. It's better to get a good DI box and leave the rest to the desk/external processing.

Ta
    Dont know about the AD8, but I have a Boss AD 5 and it is superb, love it. Use it throught an AER amp
  • Orchids are great. BSS bombproof. Baggs para acoustic ustb worth checking out if you've not got much EQ on board. Radial stuff is very nice but I don't have masses of experience. For live use any will be fine, you'll probably not notice the minute differences between them.
    edited September 2013
    The Orchid Micro suits my budget and seems like a good bet and reviews are very good.

Thanks everyone
  • Just a quick word on processing and effects if you are playing with someone out front mixing.

Firstly do not use reverb !!! leave that to be added by the engineer. By all means ask for some in your monitor though if you want it.

Secondly pay attention to the output level your sending, both the baggs and fishman boxes are very capable of overloading the desk input 

Finally once you've adjusted your tone on stage leave it alone!  Remeber the onstage sound is different to the front of house sound and any tweeks you make midset will seriously screw up the channel settings the engineer has.

From my experience at both ends of the multicore the best option is an AER onstage for your own personal sound and the DI from it into the PA ( the XLR Di from it is minus effects)
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks Maltingsaudio-an AER would be a lovely addition in the future and there are some good used prices around
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    What is it that you are trying to achieve or feel is lacking?

Since you already have a line out to the desk from the cube and an acoustic simulator in the Cube it seems to me you might be unhappy with the sound of your on stage monitoring.
    If that is so, don't waste money on pedals and toys, just get a proper amp or powered speaker with an hf horn.
    If you sound good on stage but not through the PA then a DI will likely help if the cable distance is above 30+ feet and your output cable to the desk is unbalanced. (A TRS jack would be the clue there).
    The other deciding point with some acoustics can be the impedance/load on the input and something with a buffer can often help there particularly with piezo type pickups which you don't have.

I've posted this little ditty before but it is well worth spreading the word on this new forum after the collapse of the other place.

That said Johns stuff at Orchid is excellent, the BSS and EMO are professional standards among those sound guys not known to be brand snobbish and the Radial range are the epitome of good engineering practice.

I hate to say so in company of great professional products, but I have had some unusually good results loading acoustic instruments from the nasty cheap behringer DI 120 units. BUT they should be considered disposable and they do crap out all to often.

edited September 2013
    @ESBlonde - thanks for the info.
    My PA is fine and it's the sound of the Cube that I'm going off, as are other people who plug their acoustics into it. Going direct to the desk sounds awful without a DI box and the Micro Cube sounds a little too hi-fi'. I'd like something more natural sounding and I just figured a DI box would be a good approach plus as a PA owner, it would be something good to have in my arsenal (C'mon Fnar Fnar ETW - I've set you up there for one)! @EricTheWeary
    The AER is superb and I've borrowed one before -it's head and shoulders above other acoustic amps I've used from Carvin and Marshall- but I cannot afford one and £25 for the *Orchid seems like a no-brainer.
    *Edit-ordered today
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31570
    I know you're sorted now, but just for further info I get excellent results from a Zoom A2.1u straight into my PA. You have to turn all the modelling bollocks off, but as a good quality DI, with a tuner and volume pedal built in it's a very useful tool.
    The XLR out can be pre- or post-effects if say, you wanted reverb etc through an onstage monitor.

I doubt I'd pay the current new price, but it's probably my most-used bit of kit. I even use it with electric guitar as a tuner/volume switcher/boost pedal, it's that transparent.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Fishman Loudbox Pro is pretty good at half the price of a new AER60 - has all the DI outs as well.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Just checked the AER site and they are doing di's etc now, thats got to be worth a look too
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    Thanks guys for the additional recommendations and I get to try the Orchid Micro DI tonight so I'll let you know how I get on.
  • I have an award session acoustic preamp pedal thingy, and that works well.  However, for the last 4 or 5 years, I've been giging with an Ashdown Radiator, and much prefer that.  

Reaseon being 1) it  gives me a good monitor sound of my acoustic on stage. 2)Has a direct out that works superbly with the PA. 3) Has a very small footprint.4) they are fairly cheap 2nd hand.  5) loud enough to gig without putting tro the pa should you so desire.

edited September 2013

Cheers Thomas and I'll look around for one of those to try.
    An update on the Orchid Micro DI-had limited time to sound check at gig as I was too busy getting sounds for the rest of the line up. When I did try it, no sound or light on - it's 48v phantom powered but like a doofus, I hadn't hit/didn't know I had to press the phantom power button on the desk and so reverted to lining out from my Micro Cube as didn't have time to diagnose.
    I'll report my findings next time

EDIT: like the look of those Ashdown Radiators and they can be had for a good price, either used or B stock.