That New John Mayer Album...

dindudedindude Frets: 8537
...by fuck it's dull. I've tried, quite a few listens, but just no, even he sounds bored throughout most of it. Not a massive fan but I really liked Born and Raised and a few things previous.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm really enjoying it. Actually preferring it over Born and Raised.
  • RaveRave Frets: 268
    dindude said:
    ...by fuck it's dull. I've tried, quite a few listens, but just no, even he sounds bored throughout most of it. Not a massive fan but I really liked Born and Raised and a few things previous.

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited September 2013
    Mmm..know what you mean D and I didn't go a bundle on Born and Raised either but absolutely loved the track "Shadow Days". Loved Continuum!
    Seeing him in concert next month so I hope the new songs transfer better when played live.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    I listened to it the other day and I can't remember anything about it other than Katy Perry was singing on one track and he looked a bit of a twat on the cover. 
  • Listened a couple of times. It's even more disappointing than Born and Raised, and at least that album has one absolute gem on it. 

I don't do pedal steel - just sounds naff to me -and the whole "Country" direction leaves me cold :(

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337

I'm pretty dissapointed with JM. Continuum was superb, but I've not liked any others. The live album 'Where the light is' is brilliant, and his blues trio is out of this world. He is such an awesome blues player I wish he'd do more of that rather than the pop stuff.

I'd buy any blues release by him, his playing is sooooooo good.

• axisus said:

I'm pretty dissapointed with JM. Continuum was superb, but I've not liked any others. The live album 'Where the light is' is brilliant, and his blues trio is out of this world. He is such an awesome blues player I wish he'd do more of that rather than the pop stuff.

This.

Although I did like Battle Studies, despite it being a wee bit too American FM radio for me.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited September 2013

I'd be interested to see what he does next. He's moved styles aorund quite a bit in his career, the early stuff was very poppy (the earliest release I've got is "Heavier Things".

"Continuum" was certainly a peak, and the live footage from that era is superb, including the trio stuff, but I reckon he also sees that as a peak in that style, so rather than make Continuum 2 forever he's headed in the singer/songwritter/country direction (after the really disappointing "Battle Studies")

I'm still enjoying Paradise Valley, and at the moment it's clear that he doesn't want to be a whiteboy blues widdler, (although I don't know what he's playing on tour, I'd imagine the strat gets a good workout live)  

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    Only had one spin, but it left a better 1st impression than Born & Raised...Will try and get some more listens in before his Wembley gig next month, but it's certainly no Continuum, but the trouble is, that album is perfect from start to finish, so it's going to be difficult to top it!

I do hope he gets the country stuff out of his system though, his pop/blues stuff is much more enjoyable!

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Amazingly enough, although I have where the light is, I didn't actually have a copy of Continuum - itunes has sorted me out and now having a listen.
  • axisus said:

This, except I would also add that when you watch him playing Blues - that is what he really seems to love...he just gets lost in it. I have always felt a little pissed at him if I am honest, as someone who loves Blues, it gets me a little angry that someone who loves the Genre - and is sooo darned good at playing it, chooses to do something else that is at best mediocre  /:)

Still I love watching his Blues stuff on youtube :)
    Having listend to Continuum over the last couple of nights, there is def some good stuff on there. The Bold as Love cover is really the weak point for me, by far my fav Hendrix tune and he really doesn't do it justice.
  • dindude said:
    Having listend to Continuum over the last couple of nights, there is def some good stuff on there. The Bold as Love cover is really the weak point for me, by far my fav Hendrix tune and he really doesn't do it justice.

Have you heard his cover of Crossroads on 'Battle Studies'....now that's shocking.
    ^Haven't heard it, sounds like one to avoid then. Although I will obviously seek it out later because curiosity will get the better of me. :)
  • ^ From what JM says, it was a jam that they came up with more or less on the spot (hence it's missing a verse, I think he said, as the impromptu backing track wasn't long enough) but why he thought to (a) include it on the album and (b) play same duff cover live on that tour is beyond me.

Just ressurecting this thread as I've been listening to Paradise Valley a lot more recently to get me in the mood for his Wembley gig in a few weeks.

I have to say, I love it. Not quite a twangy as Born and Raised and there are some excellent tracks on there.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26965
    I still really like PV. That said, I also like Bold as Love and his version of Crossroads.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    LOL. Ditto.

I am gutted Robbie Mackintosh and DRP are no longer in his touring bad though :(
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    joneve said:
    I am gutted Robbie Mackintosh and DRP are no longer in his touring bad though :(

I'm seeing him on Sunday and I hadn't even checked to see who the band were. That is a shame about RB.

A couple of weeks on from my comments here on PV and nothing has changed. Maybe it'll be more to my liking in a live context.