Midi controller/Pad for Reaper?

What's Hot
I just bought myself an M-audio Axiom Air mini 32 to use with Reaper to create drum tracks etc how ever it doesn't seem to be compatible, if it is it's not very user friendly. So I'm returning it and will be looking for something else.

Would you suggest a midi controller to create drums? if so, which one for £60/£70 ?

What other ways are there to create drum tracks instead of sitting at a screen clicking away at the midi 'map' trying to create something that sounds like a drum beat?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    Seriously unless you're going to use an electric kit  just program them. Playing even moderately complex grooves with a controller is a massive ballache.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    It should be compatible with Reaper - it might take a bit of setting up so that the pads trigger the correct drum sounds in reaper, but that is true of any midi controller. Does it come with any software for the keyboard?
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    M Audio, Akai and Alesis controllers come with a free download of Ignite. It is excellent for creating drum, string, synth sounds. It doesn't integrate with Reaper or any DAW but tracks can be exported as Wav and imported into Reaper.

I would definitely give that a try before returning your controller. It's incredibly easy to use, I can't believe it's not more widely used.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    I've always got reasonable results playing it in on a standard midi keyboard and then fine tuning in the editor. Have to think like a drummer though, remember how many limbs you have and keep it realistic!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dougfatherukdougfatheruk Frets: 12
    edited August 2014
    Why bother? Get EZ Drummer, Drum Kit From Hell, Addictive Drums or the like. Lay down some basic tracks and then tweak the MIDI if required. Some of these plugins will work with electric kits too, I think programming is a bit old hat these days and too much like hard work.
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    I agree with @dougfatheruk that's how I work these days.
    Don't touch that dial.