Are there enough of us to make a TFB Doom Room style thread?

What's Hot
LewLew Frets: 1657
edited August 2014 in Guitar
In the same vein of HCFX Doom Room or I<3Fuzze's I<3Doom and is this sub-forum the best place for it?

A thread that we can chat about everything to do with DOOM, STONER. SLUDGE, psyche, desert, acid, new bands, old bands, gear, upcoming gigs, dealer issues, links to interviews etc etc...

This is the only guitar forum I actively take part in nowadays so it'd would be fun for me. We did a similar thing over on the BKP forum but it's kinda dead over there /sob.

So, I know we have @samzadgan @Philly_Q and @juansolo anyone else in?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited August 2014
    I'll kick off with the new Sleep Adult Swim single. I read that this isn't a one off single and Sleep are working on a new album :-)

YOB and Pallbearer are at The Fleece the 4th Sept
    Orange Goblin and Saint Vitus are at The Fleece Oct 28th
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    edited August 2014
    nice...@antique_guitars and @angrygoldfish would be in too

i haven't got my tickets yet, but I'm going to YOB in sept.

ill contribute...

• Yes I like the doom stoner stuff, my friends band are signed to the guy from Conans label.
    Old Is Gold
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Can we just have a heavy music thread? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Now I finally have a reference of what Satans arse gravy would sound like

:-P
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2014
    @samzadgan see you there! 
    @Loobs No no no no noooooooo! Nope! 
    @Antique_Guitars ooooo got a link?

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I'm in!
    I'm cool with general heavy music, with a slant to doom...just no djent 

as for YOB...I'm seeing them in London. I think that band Antique Guitars mentioned is Bast...who I think are also playing with YOB and Pallbearer in London.
    Now I finally have a reference of what Satans arse gravy would sound like

:-P
    i like that description!
  • Disappointed that the Sleep single is only 10 minutes long, think they need to smoke more weed.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I love a bit of early micheal Bolton, he could get quite "rocky" in his early days and was known to "toke the good stuff" , does that count me in?
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2014
    @samzadgan ah I wont see you there then! No quarter on the threads doomyness :-!

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4133
    edited August 2014
    Do these count? >>> QOTSA, Kyuss, TCVultures (i.e. anything Homme related!), most of the 90s Seattle-sound... none of it's really unknown, but the tracks here are fun and sound like what my friends & I used to make* before we all went our separate ways for uni! :D

*Especially Elder - I'm gonna check them out properly for sure. B-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    Hate to be a spoil sport but shouldn't this be in the music area really?
    edited August 2014
    @guitargeek62 Kyuss were great. You should check out Vista Chino. The Melvins too as they bridge the Seattle and Stoner/Sludge sounds.

@MattG you clearly do love being a spoilsport ;-p

But yea as I said in the first post this might not be the best place 'cause people might get peed with it being stuck at the top. I think it is though because it'll have gear stuff in it and the traffic is good here, hah!

It'd be jolly nice if the mods let us sticky it here but I understand why that's very unlikely :-) happily go with general consensus/mod advice.
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    As I make Matamps I guess I should drop by this thread from time to time.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    To get this back onto gear (if that's what this thread is for?)

Matamp are doing a run of Green Matamp heads and cabs in green basket weave.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited August 2014
    I quite like doom and I'm a real sucker for a fuzz pedal. So let's do some gear talk...

One that I'm running at the minute is the Maxon Fire, which is based on the Roland Bee Baa and could have been made with doom in mind - imagine an even thicker, heavier sounding Big Muff with some octave-fuzz properties too. It's wonderful.

Never played it on a properly downtuned guitar, I need to get my seven-string restrung and have a go.

My other fuzz is a Rainger Son of Freakenstein, which is just pure mental and sounds the absolute dog's bollocks no matter what tuning you're in - you can get some obscenely fat low-end sounds and some super-shrill, piercing lead tones too. Awesome.

I'm also after a Superfuzz (Shin-ei FY-6) clone at some point, and a Burns/Baldwin Buzzaround clone of some sort. I like fuzz, me.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    To get this back onto gear (if that's what this thread is for?)

Matamp are doing a run of Green Matamp heads and cabs in green basket weave.
    oh man...i just got a fuzzy feeling in my pants!
    As I make Matamps I guess I should drop by this thread from time to time.....
    given you make matamps...that would make you high priest of this thread!
    Bucket said:
    I quite like doom and I'm a real sucker for a fuzz pedal. So let's do some gear talk...

One that I'm running at the minute is the Maxon Fire, which is based on the Roland Bee Baa and could have been made with doom in mind - imagine an even thicker, heavier sounding Big Muff with some octave-fuzz properties too. It's wonderful.

Never played it on a properly downtuned guitar, I need to get my seven-string restrung and have a go.

My other fuzz is a Rainger Son of Freakenstein, which is just pure mental and sounds the absolute dog's bollocks no matter what tuning you're in - you can get some obscenely fat low-end sounds and some super-shrill, piercing lead tones too. Awesome.

I'm also after a Superfuzz (Shin-ei FY-6) clone at some point, and a Burns/Baldwin Buzzaround clone of some sort. I like fuzz, me.
    That Superfuzz would be awesome. I've never thought of trying the Maxon one, but that sounds like it could be quite good.

I've had a more than a few different fuzz pedals...but for the last year and a bit, i have settled on the Pharaoh fuzz....its the one pedal, apart from my carbon copy that has been on my board for so long...and to be honest I haven't looked for another fuzz since I got it.
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    I'm in obviously.

I rate everything from the desert rock rock of Kyuss/QotSA, the space rock of Monster Magnet, the psychedelic musings of My Sleeping Karma, the ludicrously fuzzy rock of Sasquatch, and all of the like in this category also. It covers a lot of ground. Basically if it's fuzzy, heavy and/or trippy, it's all good.