Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Lowden guitars

What's Hot
Recently I've been listening to a lot of acoustic music and checked out a few acoustic videos. I came across Lowden guitars and I think they're some of the most beautiful instruments made.

Now I'm not an acoustic player, though I have been itching to start taking it up, what do you guys think of them? Do any of you own them?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    I have an 023. I love the complexity of the tone and the construction is awesome. What I don't like so much is the neck profile, which is quite beefy, but I can live with it, the positives definitely outweigh the negatives for me. I really like their F size models too.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    fantastic guitars, you won't go wrong owning one.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72238
    They're beautifully made, and beautiful sounding - but they're a fingerpicker's/soloist's guitar really, not a strummer's. I had an O10 years ago, which I loved when played by itself but it had no punch in a band mix. Too delicate-sounding for my clumsy thrashing, and the volume in the sound is at the very bottom end not the midrange, so it gets lost easily. They suit open 'Celtic' style tunings more than any other guitar I've heard though, except maybe for McIlroy. (McIlroy used to work for Lowden originally.)

Be careful if you're buying an older Lowden, the company has been through a few changes and not all the guitars are 'proper' Lowdens - some were made under licence, and although they're not bad, they're not in the same league as the handmade Lowdens and are worth a fraction of the price. But you can also quite often find bargains if you don't mind wear and tear - a lot of folk players seem to treat their instruments very badly, and Lowdens don't escape unfortunately.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GassageGassage Frets: 30870
    I had an LSE1 and sold it due to money issues. Simply the best acoustic ever. Amazing power

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    I have a recent F32SE and it's a wonderful guitar. Sound, playability, build quality - everything's top notch. It's a great strummer as well.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I've never had the pleasure of playing one, but two of my favourite players use them: Richard Thompson and Pierre Bensusan. 

Check out some of Bensusan's stuff on Youtube if you can. 

Bensusan is a soloist par excellence. I've seen him live a few times and what's striking about his Lowden is its ability to project single notes beautifully.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    This guy makes some very pretty noises with a Lowden baritone.

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26902
    The other guitarist in my old band had one. Lovely thing. Not to my taste but a very good instrument and impeccably built.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308
    I have an 023. I love the complexity of the tone and the construction is awesome. What I don't like so much is the neck profile, which is quite beefy, but I can live with it, the positives definitely outweigh the negatives for me. I really like their F size models too.

Are there different neck profiles? I'm presuming so, but does anyone who has tried a few have an opinion?

I liked the chunkiness of my R8, but the bastard thing gave me RSI (well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it ;)). I've never had that issue with slimmer necks.

I quite like the idea of one of these, but need to get round to trying one out.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483

It's been a few years since I've played one but I don't recall the necks being hugely thick. Think the thickest neck I've played was a reissue LP (dunno what sort, gold top one) that had a neck like a tree trunk, and the lowden necks are nowhere near that chunky. As I said though, been at least 6 years since I played one, so take with a lorry load of salt.

I think once you try one out you will be hooked. I still regret not buying one when I had the chance (I'm even thinking of taking a job for a few months to save up the cash for one!!!).

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    I think there's a standard Lowden neck profile, although that's likely to have changed over the years. My F32SE has a slightly slimmer neck than standard which feels absolutely perfect. I wouldn't want it any bigger so it strikes me as understandable that people might find the standard Lowden profile to be a bit on the big side.
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    There's one around the corner from me for a grand.

Also, Avalon guitars (ex Lowden luthiers) is close by and rumour has it they discount for local buyers. 
    :)

• Had both the 025 & 035. Why had you may ask? because I'm a pillock, and thought the grass was indeed greener. 

Pound for pound I think they're one of the best you can buy.

Another 025 is the absolute top of my list.

[-O<
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    There's a feature article on Lowden guitars in this month's Acoustic magazine (issue with James Dean Bradfield on the cover). Might be of use for further info.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Had one for over 20 years. It is never going to be sold
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    They are great guitars but you have to try them all and find the model that suits you best. I prefer the S model the most overall. The F models are good both for strumming and fingerstyle, but the body depth can be hard to get on with after extended playing. The O models really don't do strumming well, and are best for DADGAD really.

I've had all 3 models, and kept the S but sold the F and the O. They keep their value though - I sold the F model after 12 months for what I paid for it new, as the new prices had risen about 20% during that time, although prices are more stable now.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308
    For Lowden money I think you'd have to try them all.

There don't seem to be as many S's available compared O's and F's. I don't think I've ever actually seen an S actually (I'm left handed though).

I was speaking to Guitar Guitar about Lowdens a couple of weeks ago and they were saying that demand tends to outstrip supply.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• I can recommend Sheehans in Leicester...great selection/environment/staff...massive amounts of patience...take some pack-up: you could be there a while.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    VimFuego;313555" said:
    It's been a few years since I've played one but I don't recall the necks being hugely thick. Think the thickest neck I've played was a reissue LP (dunno what sort, gold top one) that had a neck like a tree trunk, and the lowden necks are nowhere near that chunky. As I said though, been at least 6 years since I played one, so take with a lorry load of salt.I think once you try one out you will be hooked. I still regret not buying one when I had the chance (I'm even thinking of taking a job for a few months to save up the cash for one!!!).
    Mine has a very playable neck. Not at all baseball bat like.

Lowden designed his instruments from the ground up. They do not sound like American acoustics.
  • stevehsteveh Frets: 228
    edited August 2014
    I play 90% acoustic these days and have had a lot of experience with Lowdens.

I fingerpick and am partial to slow airs etc. IMHO they are hands down the best "factory" guitar out there. For my purposes they knock the sh*t out of Collings, Martin etc. Why? Because they're voiced completely differently. As others have said, not an American sound at all - far less fundamental and more overtone; that's why they don't strum great.

My personal fave is the F25. The "25" is the archetypal Lowden wood combo and the F size gives it a bit more focus without losing too much bottom end (aka S). The 0 is a BIG guitar.

I only got rid of mine because I went the sole luthier route (Sobell, Bown, Kostal, Traugott etc.). Therein lies madness and poverty.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom