Woods - I don't know what I want

What's Hot
BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
So a good mate of mine is apprenticing as a guitar builder. I'm getting a loyalty bonus from work in a few months so I'm going to get him to make me a nice acoustic. He's made a couple already and they're really very nice. I know what I want as far as neck profile, body shape etc, but as far as woods go, I'm not so sure!

Basically it'll be a smaller, folk size with a cutaway. I can't get away from thinking a mahogany top would be nice, but what would you fine gents suggest, given the guitar size? What are the characteristics of the different woods?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16665

I think the taylor site has a lot of talk about the properties of different woods.  take it with a pinch of salt because wood varies and the sound of an acoustics is altered massively by the way it is built

I would ask him what he is comfortable working with, what sounds he would expect to get from certain wood combos and go from there.  Has he built a smaller folk sized cuitar with a cutaway before and what does he expect to be able to achieve

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    Thanks @WezV, sounds like a sensible way of going about it.
  • I agree with @WezV, it'll obviously have to be a collaboration. 

That said, I'd suggest leaning towards something giving a "darker" tone- mahogany/cedar? All the small bodied guitars I've played with that had spruce tops were a bit "zingy" for my taste. 
    On the subject of cutaways, have you seen what Faith have done with some of theirs? It's more of a scoop to give some access-

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    I'll see you the Faith and raise you an Avalon. 

image :D
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom