Earlier than planned GAS

What's Hot
I was planning on going guitar shopping next week in New York, but I was driving with about 10 miles of Guitar Village on my way back to Heathrow yesterday. "I'll just pop in and try a couple out", I say to myself... 

Well, you know that thing where if you find a really special Gibson acoustic you have to buy it on the spot or regret it forever? 
Yeah, erm, that... oops? 

Dove-1 

The cats like the case...

Dove-2

Any guesses?

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15475

J45?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Cat's love the smell of Vanilla/Nougat too :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Spongebob Ukulele...but they only had Gibson cases left in stock...?

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26746
    Big lol for @RocknrollDave...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Very nice indeed (just seen a sneak preview). Dead jealous.
  • I scrolled for pics first and found a disappointed Cat who'd just been robbed of his new Gibson, his mate trying to console him.

Looking forward to pics, sounds like you've bought a winner.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited August 2014
    Also, I'm guessing a Gibson Dove, because I just hovered my cursor over the cat picture.   :))
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    I am guessing a Dove too, because I have just been on facebook and seen a pic of a Dove ;)
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    A Martin D18? At least give us a clue...No goddamit a picture or the hamster gets it!

edited August 2014
    :D

lol. Damn flickr linking with Facebook and my ineptitude in changing the auto-links to the photos. It is indeed a Dove, and it's bloody marvellous.

I tried a Hummingbird, this Dove, a D18, D28 and HD28 and a couple of J45s. The Martins were all extremely good, but the D18 got a bit boxy if strummed really hard, and the D28 and HD28 were basically perfect, but didn't quite have the personality that the Gibsons did. 

I tried a J45 with rosewood back and sides which was not bad but a little bland, and a walnut J45 which sounded and felt phenomenal, but was in poo-burst and just looked a little dull.

The Hummingbird was the guitar I expected to leave with but A-B-ing it with this one it just didn't have the same sparkle and that last couple of percent that made it exciting. And yes, it looks like Dolly Parton's handbag, but it's awesome and I don't care :D

Dove-3

Dove-6

Gibson Dove detail
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I must also add a big thanks to Mark and Guitar Village for putting up with me being a complete pain who couldn't make his mind up. Top service from a top shop. :)
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I must also add a big thanks to Mark and Guitar Village for putting up with me being a complete pain who couldn't make his mind up. Top service from a top shop. :)
    I'm sure he's more than happy that would walked out with it in the end!
  • Sounds like a good day to me!  Enjoy.
  • Needs a Bigsb..

It's ok, it's ok, I've got my coat, I'm off.....

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    That's clearly a fake, Gibson wouldn't do a Dolly Handbag acoustic...... Oh Wait.

;)

Lovely Guitar, play it and enjoy it often.
    I feel I should add a couple of further notes. 

1: Next time you go to Guitar Village (yes, all of you), you must go up to the little room with the Gibson and Martin acoustics in, pick something up and hit a loud open E chord then mute it. The natural reverb and resonance from all those other guitars sounds wonderful :)

2: Go 2 doors down to Cafe Piccolo. Excellent little Italian restaurant. The Carbonara and Cannelloni are excellent ;) 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2014
    Another thing (while the guitar is still on my lap..)

Virgin Atlantic are awesome. I was flying Premium Economy, which is only a smudge more money than el-cheapo economy, and they were perfectly happy with me taking the guitar onboard. 

When I asked at check-in, the lady was not sure about coat-cupboards and such but happy that I could gate-check it at the very least. Every staff member I spoke to after was more amenable than the last, until I got to the plane and they put it in a cupboard in the galley 10 feet from my seat and I could see it throughout the flight. I had it back in my hands before I'd even left the plane at the other end. 

Absolutely brilliant and highly recommended next time anyone's planning a guitar-buying trip to the US.

AAAND... I think after this I'm wondering if I should just change my username to "I agree with @ICBM"...?
  • Great bit of GAS, even if it is an acoustic (them things usually give me the creeps) Am i right in thinking Ms Tunstall plays a Dove, or did i imagine that?

Yeah, she has a regular one and a black one at least. Her first Jools Holland show was definitely with a Dove (the Black Horse And The Cherry Tree performance). 

I know Dave Grohl uses an Elvis Presley Dove a lot, but beyond that don't know of many specific players that use them.
    Put new strings on and gave the fretboard some oil last night so it's officially mine (cos that's absolutely how it works)

Aaaaand.. now I'm in Riyadh again until Saturday so can't enjoy it! :(