DI Box.

What's Hot
Si_Si_ Frets: 384
Can anyone recommend a decent/not too expensive DI box. Need to connect my Taylor GS mini to the desk for a few songs in the new band.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    I swear by the Radial stuff. Not the cheapest but by far one of the best. I have a few of the J48's and might have one going spare. Failing that look at the BSS stuff which is also very good.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301

@ Si_ I put up a similar thread a while back and the guys here recommended this by Orchid Electronics. Phantom powered, does what it says on the box etc and a good product - http://www.orchid-electronics.co.uk/micro.htm

• GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
    edited August 2014
    Depends on how much you want to spend.

Klark Teknik are really good, and not too expensive, about £70, so a bit cheaper than Radial, but radial are also brilliant.

If you have pretty much no budget Thomann's own brand are alright (Millenium I think)

"Nobody is really researching robot jokes"

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Doesn't the Taylor have a balanced output? In which case you only need a TRS ('stereo') to XLR cable.

Or does it not have the normal Expression System electronics...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414
    I've bought 3 of the Orchid ones for my church based on previous recommendations on here.  They are fine.

I did find a Sound on Sound review that was very positive about them before I bought them - forums are useful but I do like to verify what people say.  They came up pretty well against the Radial ones which are a lot more expensive.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may12/articles/orchid-di-boxes.htm

Basically for everyday use plugging a guitar in they are very good, but there are some other uses that they won't work for because they don't have a transformer in.
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    ICBM said:
    Doesn't the Taylor have a balanced output? In which case you only need a TRS ('stereo') to XLR cable.

Or does it not have the normal Expression System electronics...
    Yea, it's got the standard Taylor electronics installed. wasn't aware I could plug this straight into the Desk.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    edited August 2014
    Si_ said:
    Yea, it's got the standard Taylor electronics installed. wasn't aware I could plug this straight into the Desk.
    Yes, definitely - https://www.taylorguitars.com/sites/default/files/10_UnderstandingES.pdf

2nd paragraph, 'Connections'.

If you can't get a TRS to XLR cable easily, Rob at Kabl will make you one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson