Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

****ing Singer Auditions

What's Hot

Comments

• I would now never have a singer in a band who didn't play an instrument, they aren't worth it (IMO). I agree that they don't have anything material invested in the operation of a band. In my recent experience they turn up badly prepared with lyric sheets and, worst of all, the school music stand. Our last singer always brought his missus to rehearsals and then had to leave early because she wanted to go. Of course he never lifted a finger to set up or crack down the gear. First hand to come out to be paid though...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Without knowledge you can mess up your voice with bad technique. Lessons are as much for protecting your instrument as they are for improving it. It is probably false economy to not invest in yourself - a mic can be cheap but the real instrument to invest in is the voice itself.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Without knowledge you can mess up your voice with bad technique. Lessons are as much for protecting your instrument as they are for improving it. It is probably false economy to not invest in yourself - a mic can be cheap but the real instrument to invest in is the voice itself.
    Definitely.
  • littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    I would now never have a singer in a band who didn't play an instrument, they aren't worth it (IMO). I agree that they don't have anything material invested in the operation of a band. In my recent experience they turn up badly prepared with lyric sheets and, worst of all, the school music stand. Our last singer always brought his missus to rehearsals and then had to leave early because she wanted to go. Of course he never lifted a finger to set up or crack down the gear. First hand to come out to be paid though...
    What is it with singers and lyrics?

I think every band I've ever played in the singer always has a folder with the lyrics to every single song on the setlist which is fine if it's just a comfort blanket but I've played in a band before where the singer was seriously lazy and she always forgot the lyrics which was seriously annoying even to stuff we'd been playing regularly for over a year !!

I think the ultimate in unprofessionalism was the night we were just about to start a song and she said she'd forgotten the lyrics and not to start yet. She then reached down, picked up the lyrics, took the chewing gum out of her mouth (never a great look for a singer having chewing gum to start with) and used the gum to pin the lyrics to her mic stand for all to see........

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    edited August 2014

Trouble is a singer makes or breaks a band in my opinion - a great singer will transform even the most turgid or tunes into something beautiful, a bad singer will murder the best of songs. Because of this I feel singers have a really hard job, they should though all be made to invest in a decent monitor system.

I also think it's quite hard for singers to find a band that fits thier voice well, a mate of mine is a good singer and likes his heavy rock, but he has a very mid range voice and always got lost.however over time he started to like more acoustic music and his last band was very folk based and really supported his voice rather than fight it and he sounds really good

My pet hate though is guitarists who think they can sing and insist on doing backing vocals, when actually they have no idea on anything to do with singing and sound horrific....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6435
    edited August 2014
    Have been down the "auditioning singers" route before, many years ago, and everything people have said in this thread rings true with me..

Feel very fortunate that the singer in our band is very much the antithesis of those described above.
    Also very fortunate  in that our bassist is also a bloody good singer and can front the band if necessary.
    I shall be sticking with this band for as long as I can, and I certainly do not expect to work with this calibre of musicians again in future...although I shall do my damnedest!

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Another singer audition yesterday. 

This one showed up (yay) and could sing (double yay), but as others have experienced didn't really work in the context of the band as she was very ballady and we want something a lot more rhythmical and punchy James Brown soul type thing.

Interestingly all of the singers we've had (that turned up) could sing, but none of them have been right for us.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited August 2014
    Interestingly all of the singers we've had (that turned up) could sing, but none of them have been right for us.

People have tended to disagree with me in the past but I still feel the same way about it - once you really start looking you realise there are more people who can sing/play their instruments well than you'd expect.  I don't really believe the doom and gloom outlook that almost everyone is terrible or incompetent.  Sure many people are, but now I feel the more accurate representation is that bands where everyone is good are rare, but musicians who are good are less so.

The hardest thing is just finding the right people when you need them and getting them all to play in the same band together.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

This one showed up (yay) and could sing (double yay), but as others have experienced didn't really work in the context of the band as she was very ballady and we want something a lot more rhythmical and punchy James Brown soul type thing.

I sharn't bother trying then, James Brown, no chance, maybe Max Cavalera or Lemmy covers would be bestest........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    mike_l said:

I sharn't bother trying then, James Brown, no chance, maybe Max Cavalera or Lemmy covers would be bestest........

more like Max Wall I gather.... ;)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Less flippantly, can anyone already in the band sing? Maybe have a bassist or guitarist do the singing too?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

tFB Trader
    mike_l said:
    Less flippantly, can anyone already in the band sing? Maybe have a bassist or guitarist do the singing too?
    I'm currently having lessons, but I'm not good enough to front a band.
    tFB Trader
    After 6 torturous weeks I think we've found a singer. 

A Texan with a great smokey voice and loads of stage presence. 

:)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26458
    Nice one, mate :)
    <space for hire>
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    fastboy said:
    What is it with singers and lyrics?
    My last band was basically a pub rock outfit, but with an interesting 60s image/aesthetic (think Billy Childish). The set list was things like She Does It Right, Route 66, Help Me, Teenage Letter (Count Bishops), Around & Around, etc. Basically, all really straight-forward songs to learn the basics of and very easy to pull off. I learned everything within a couple of weeks. We then spent the next 6 months rehearsing once a week without actually making any progress. The singer always had the lyrics written on paper on a music strand (or didn't have them at all). We regularly had to listen to the songs on an iPad as the singer had forgotten how they went ie. he'd clearly not listened to or thought about the material since the previous rehearsal. The final straw was Around & Around... Every week I'd say "Are we all ready?", wait for affirmatives, and play the intro riff. And every week the singer failed to come with "I said the joint was rocking...". "Oh, was I supposed to come in there?" I walked away. Total waste of time.

R.
    tFB Trader
    Nice one, mate :)
    Cheers. 

I've sent her a "yours if you want it" email and got a "Woo yay" reply so we're on.

Exciting times. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Singer auditions ? Pah !

Try Drummers ! ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    tFB Trader
    Been there, done that, quit the band in frustration. 

I started this band by recruiting a drummer I'd worked with before for that very reason.
  • Nice one!  Best of luck with the band.