What do you think is gonna happen?

What's Hot

It's been a bit of a Merry-Go-Round the last couple of weeks, but here we are with a brand spanking new forum.

First question is a bit "Thicky" but will the transitionary replacement thread(Musicradarmyfreeforum) be eradicated from Cyberspace or will it just become the "Last Chance Saloon" where nobody goes?

Will people still post on the original MR should it ever get back on it's feet?

Will we lose some old faithfulls? I've been away and struggled to keep up but noticed on the other forum that some had not found their way or I hadn't noticed them (Myranda and Kebabkid)?

Will people struggle to keep up with name changes? I've spotted a few but am bound to have missed some. Most have remained the same though *Phew*

On the MRmyfree back up forum I spotted a couple of names I didn't know from old MR, but who seemed to be well known to the regulars from the old MR forum (Zap and MrMenturm)?

I guess I am naturally curious(nosey b*****d in plain english), but just like Columbo "These things bother me"

Don't get me wrong the Forum is great, but it feels kinda weird. I can liken it to working somewhere then having your company move premises and you still work with the same people but you're all in different offices and no one knows where the toilets are.

Care to share your befuddlements?

:-)

Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Bellycaster said:First question is a bit "Thicky" but will the transitionary replacement thread(Musicradarmyfreeforum) be eradicated from Cyberspace or will it just become the "Last Chance Saloon" where nobody goes?
    Good Q, and I was also half thinking that (not coherently enough to actually post a logical sounding post)
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Zap is/was lixarto

Mrmenturm is drew_fx on here. He used to be on MR.

If MR does reappear I'd certainly keep an eye on it, but just to catch up with a few old contacts....and the wealth of knowledge that's on those pages (the real loss in this). 

The temporary site was there before from IIRC a time when MR was offline before.  
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    edited August 2013 tFB Trader
    It's a question I've been pondering myself. 

Emps free forum will I believe get mothballed once people have found there way here. 

If and when MR comes back I do hope people stay with us and that some of the people who haven't found their way here yet will also come over. 
    There is of course a possibility that they will abandon us in droves and return to the bosom of Future publishing however I really hope that they don't not just because I (and many others) have put a lot of work into this place, but because Future have shown time and time again that they don't really care about this community and if not now then it can only be a matter of time before they decide that they can't be arsed to fix the forum and bin it without warning. 
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5845

@not_the_dj

Ah, I obviousy recall Lixarto, but don't remember Drew fx on the old MR, I think I recall an AxeFx or something. I would be quite devastated to lose all the great advice I got in my threads and PM's from MR. Like I said on the Pedalboard thread, most of that knowledge was from you guys and there is stuff I can revert back to for help on MR.

Cheers.

• I'd like to think that it was the people that made MR what it was, and will make this place what it is destined to be.

If MR does come back, I think there'll be some to-ing and fro-ing between the two but I can't see MR ever really competing with this place. Once too often they have shown no concern for the forum and its community, and that community has very vocally voted with its feet, and fooked off!
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • Also, a lot of peoples with new identities have said who they were in either the 'introduce yourself' or 'who made it over' threads
    PSN id : snakey33stoo

@monquixote

I understand your frustrations and even though I do not know much about the higher echelons or the owners of MR(Future) or whatever else they do, I do now hold them in utter contempt for letting us down. I also applaud you guys for doing this so quick, I am in the dark ages with I.T so such a thing to me is "White Man's Magic" for want of a better term.

I only started using forums last year, MR and TGP(TGP first, I didn't know about MR then) but back then I thought I had found what was the English equivalent of TGP and was over the moon. I had no idea things could go that wrong, I guess I am ignorant to how things work on t'internet.

I am wondering now if TGP has suffered the same in the past, I don't know who runs that.

Does it seem like we are not important enough being only mere muso types?

• SporkySporky Frets: 28035
    Fuck MR. They clearly don't value the forum, nor the enormous body of knowledge put together by the members. They wouldn't even tell us why they took the avatars away, for pity's sake.

I doubt they'll reopen the forum; they barely got it running in the first place.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27435

I do rather hope that MR reappears, phoenix-like from the internet-dead zone.

'Cos then we can go and grab our content - or as much of it as we can carry - and bring it all back here where we can look after it with the care it deserves.

Re people & names - yup, some have changed their names, either between MR and TEmp Fab's place, or between there and here.  Oftentimes because they just didn't like their old name.  I was going to change mine too (I was going to sell the car), but MicraTony had too many connotations that I didn't like.

TEmp Fab's place was great at catching people as MR disappeared, but we didn't get them all.  Yet.  Search parties are out there, peering in all the dark corners and shouting out the names of the missing.  If they want to be found, they'll join us.  And if they don't want to be found, we should leave them be.  We all move on ...

I'll leave you to work out where the loos are ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    This place is our place now.  I wont go back.  The people who's opinion I valued are all here.

This forum works better than the old MR site and even just playing today I can see huge improvements.  I love the "lol" "wow" "face plant" system.  I like the notifications and posting pic seems more straightforward.

Why would anyone want to move back to MR

edited August 2013

@thumpingrug

Why would anyone move back to MR?

I wouldn't want to literally move back.

Like TTony says, it would be handy to do a smash and grab for all your old valued info.

Also maybe to see some who have not moved for whatever reason. If someone doesn't come over then it doesn't mean that they should be fallen out with or banished from ones memory.

I'm not getting a contest going here, I am here for the duration and am comfortably reassured that it is run by better people who give a toss about the community.

Like I said to MQ, you guys who have been here longer than 9 months like me will understand the crap you've had to endure more than I can and I can see why Future are held is disdain.

Peace!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    A big +1 on the smash 'n' grab, but no, I think a free man in the Independent Republic of FB beats serfdom any day...

• I think the chaps involved have done a brilliant job getting this up and running so quickly. 
    I see this as my new home now but I must admit, if MR does rise again I'll probably drop in now and then, just in case. Mostly to mine any info I'd gathered over the years but there's also a couple of threads where people had posted messages of support etc when things were shit and it was nice to revisit them now and then. 
  • I used the MR forum a lot although I didn't post that often (I'm even introverted on the Internet). I just read The Rules and that's enough to convince me that this is the place! Not to mention the superior smilies.
    ^:)^
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.

@JookyChap.

Hi Jooky

I'm a bit thick/Half Cut tonight, I didn't quite work out

" but no, I think a free man in the Independent Republic of FB beats serfdom any day"

I know Serfdom is akin to Slavery and FB may be Facebook, but I,m a bit lost!

• @JookyChap.

Hi Jooky

I'm a bit thick/Half Cut tonight, I didn't quite work out

" but no, I think a free man in the Independent Republic of FB beats serfdom any day"

I know Serfdom is akin to Slavery and FB may be Facebook, but I,m a bit lost!

I imagine that would be Fretboard. ;)
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    edited August 2013
    Sporky said:
    Fuck MR. They clearly don't value the forum, nor the enormous body of knowledge put together by the members. They wouldn't even tell us why they took the avatars away, for pity's sake.

I doubt they'll reopen the forum; they barely got it running in the first place.
    Dunno about that - it was all our posts got them such a ridiculously high Google ranking .....
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    edited August 2013
    Yeah sorry - FB is Fretboard, Facebook is sooooo passé

@bluechargeboy

I told you I was Thick/Half Cut

8-}

I'll get used to the new name "In Due Course"

:D
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    JookyChap said:
    Yeah sorry - FB is Fretboard, Facebook is sooooo passé
    We've been saying TheFB to avoid confusion.