What do you think is gonna happen?

What's Hot

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    It's a real sham content like Nocasters pic laden thread on how to balance the new valves in his HRD have been lost. MR took the poster community for granted but in their defence they are a business and their primary income was paper based. If they realise the interwebs are the future (ironic name there) they will rebuild the forum and develope that as an income stream.

Hopefully as our new home builds data it will go up the search engines ratings, so post your useful content folks so those lost in cyberspace can stumble upon us.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26974
    ESBlonde said:
    It's a real sham content like Nocasters pic laden thread on how to balance the new valves in his HRD have been lost. MR took the poster community for granted but in their defence they are a business and their primary income was paper based. If they realise the interwebs are the future (ironic name there) they will rebuild the forum and develope that as an income stream.

Hopefully as our new home builds data it will go up the search engines ratings, so post your useful content folks so those lost in cyberspace can stumble upon us.

I'm sure he wouldn't mind us going and borrowing it for re-printing here if MR ever returns. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RobDavies said:
    I'm a bit miffed that the (estimated) hundreds of posts saying how great KaBL is, have completely disappeared.

I get emails from potential customers asking why they should buy my stuff, and I always used to point them in the direction of MR to get some idea of what KaBL is all about.

That sucks :/

One suggestion: if you do a search like this and then click the triangle next to results and click "cache" you can at least retrieve some of them, to copy and paste into your own testimonials document to send to customers.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26577
    ESBlonde said:

The real irony is that the forums were taken down just as Future made the decision to concentrate more on their online content. Madness.
    <space for hire>
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72314

I only started using forums last year, MR and TGP(TGP first, I didn't know about MR then) but back then I thought I had found what was the English equivalent of TGP and was over the moon. I had no idea things could go that wrong, I guess I am ignorant to how things work on t'internet.

I am wondering now if TGP has suffered the same in the past, I don't know who runs that.

TGP was originally part of the PRS Forum, which PRS decided to close down. That might go some way to explaining the culture on there :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    edited August 2013
    RobDavies said:
    I'm a bit miffed that the (estimated) hundreds of posts saying how great KaBL is, have completely disappeared.

I get emails from potential customers asking why they should buy my stuff, and I always used to point them in the direction of MR to get some idea of what KaBL is all about.

Bugger.
    I'm sure we can work something out along the same lines here :D ;)
    There's a distinct pissabolity ........ ;-)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27464
     if you do a search like this and then click the triangle next to results and click "cache" you can at least retrieve some of them,
    Is there any way to force it to display all the pages in an old thread?  I can get page 1 to show, but not all the subsequent pages in a long thread that I'd like to rescue ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72314
    Fretwired said:
    Sporky said:
    Fuck MR. They clearly don't value the forum, nor the enormous body of knowledge put together by the members. They wouldn't even tell us why they took the avatars away, for pity's sake.

I doubt they'll reopen the forum; they barely got it running in the first place.
    +1

We should have done this year's ago ... MR was dying on it's feet anyway. I won't go back.

Nor me.

In hindsight there were so many annoying things about MR. It was only the community that made it bearable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    edited August 2013
    I don't think Future saw any value in the forum, and I also think something like this needed to happen to freshen things up. 
    For example, the old MR forum wasnt fit for purpose in the sense that the Tech / Drums / Bass elements were woefully underpopulated, Future probably saw what was remaining was a small select group of guitarists who, and this is the worst bit for them, would regularly post how crap they thought Futures guitar based magazines were. There was barely a good word to go around. 
    Imagine if the Bareknuckle forum regularly bashed the pickups, how long would it last? A forum tied to a business needs to have advocates, and there were none to be seen. Is it it any wonder they stopped developing and supporting it. But that's all history, this place is great, I wouldn't go back to MR.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24301
    edited August 2013

Well, with regard to my forum, I'm not really sure what to do.  There's close to 5,000 posts on there and there's no simple way to migrate them over to here.  I've changed the forum title to "We've moved! - Please go to WWW.THEFRETBOARD.CO.UK" so that should hopefully stop people in their tracks.  I doubt anyone will actually use it now that this place is running, so I'll probably just leave it as it is for several months.  It will sort itself out.  Plus... there are hundreds of links that everyone has put up to redirect people looking for MR to my place.  If those links aren't changed then we may still get traffic via that route, so it makes sense to leave it on for the moment.

Please give me medals (nice ones only !).  Click click click....   :-*

V                       V                        V

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    well, I have no intention of going back to the old forums, but as I get slugs giving me lessons on how to grow a backbone, if everyone goes back I'll just follow the herd like the good little sheeple that I am.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• I got to like a lot of the MR forumites so ill be where they are. Ill miss MR only for the fact thats where I got to know them. The point that the powers that ran MR didn't give a toss for its users was noticed by me too :-(
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26577
    @Emp_Fab - I'd leave it up there, to be honest. If ever we have a disaster (I seriously doubt we will - even if the worst happens, I can have this place up and running from the previous night's backup in half an hour or less), then your place would make a decent enough temporary abode to keep things ticking over.
    <space for hire>
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    @Emp_Fab It might be worth locking the forums other than Offtopic (so people can post if there are problems) as a few people have popped up and posted without noticing that everyone else has gone.
  • MickMick Frets: 98
    Lock the boards for now, or make them viewable to admins/ mods only. Then add a redirect board pointing to TheFB, would be a solution. Assuming it has this feature.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I suggest that if and when MR returns, we put a post in the Classifieds section:

FT: New Music and Gear Classifieds Forum

...and otherwise generally throw lots of links to this place out there. We need to make sure that as many people as possible from MR can find this place. I'm only here because I eventually did a "MusicRadar forum down" Google search. I expect many people won't do that.

- Ed

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27464
    dindude said:
    Future probably saw what was remaining was a small select group of guitarists who, and this is the worst bit for them, would regularly post how crap they thought Futures guitar based magazines were. There was barely a good word to go around. 

Your best customers are the ones who complain.

Taking the time to complain is usually an indication of some sort of interest/connection/commitment to the product about which you're complaining.  I accept that this isn't always the case (there are more than enough numpties out there) but it's true more often than not.

Engaging constructively with the complainant (a) makes them feel very happy and even more committed and (b) gives you a users-eye perspective on your product so you can fix the crap that's wrong with it.

Customers who don't care, just go elsewhere and you lose them without knowing that they've gone, and without capturing their views/opinions about why they've left.

Future created a perfect medium for that engagement - the forum.  Real-time multi-way communication with a bunch of genuine enthusiasts who had plenty of opinions to share.  Not easy for Future to deal with (ref comment about numpties, above), but they could have made more effort.  [edit] they could have made some effort.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    This place is miles better already, can't think of a single reason to go back on MR other than if everybody abandoned this place.

I can even post on here with my windows phone!

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24301
    Right, I've edited everything, locked all the forums with the exception of the 'www.thefretboard.co.uk' sub-forum (which I've now moved to the top of the root) and stuck 'Read Only' notices everywhere.  Frankly, after all that, if you don't get that we have all migrated over here, then you need to have your keyboard taken off you. :D
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    Emp_Fab said:
    Right, I've edited everything, locked all the forums with the exception of the 'www.thefretboard.co.uk' sub-forum (which I've now moved to the top of the root) and stuck 'Read Only' notices everywhere.  Frankly, after all that, if you don't get that we have all migrated over here, then you need to have your keyboard taken off you. :D
    Good work Emp