What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    ICBM;840922" said:
    boogieman said:The Vincent Price one? Great film. I love that era of horror films

Yes. The important thing is that it's not actually a horror - it's (sort of, although not very accurate) historical. It's just that the things people do in the name of religion are frequently horrible. Price gives a non-typical very controlled but thoroughly evil performance - apparently he fell out badly with the director and spent most of the filming in a state of barely controlled fury, which may have helped.
    Interesting. I didn't know that.
    I much prefer the "horror" films where most of the fear, tension and revulsion was built up around suggestion rather than outright gore and splatter. The Devils is a good example, it's pretty grim viewing, although you don't actually see that much.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM;840096" said:
    Witchfinder General on the TV a couple of nights ago.

A thoroughly nasty study of violence and corruption in the name of religion.

Still great, despite some rather dated acting and effects (bad fake blood especially) by modern standards.
    Try Blood On Satan's Claw, if you liked Witchfinder. About an artifact that gets found in a village and that sort of possesses the children. Similar style. Also, the Wicker Man, but I'm assuming you've seen it.

I found the blood effects alright, actually. Arterial blood is brighter then venal blood, and that's what they tended to go for back in the 70s rather than the dark oily stuff you see nowadays. I was watching the Wild Bunch yesterday and noticed a similar hue.
    Use Your Brian
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Yes, I've seen both - got the full-length Wicker Man on DVD. But not the remake, and have no intention of ever doing so!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357

Amy, the Amy Winehouse docufilm 

Well there's no surprises but some cool footage I haven't seen before and it's a decent watch
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1616
    edited November 2015
    The Martian - meh. Run of the mill sci-fi. 5/10; Birdman - entertaining Hollywood in-joke, v well acted 7.5/10; 12 Years A Slave - pretty much perfect except it says nothing new about slavery. 8/10; Spectre - terrible script, good action, daft plot, brilliant Christophe Waltz 5/10; Dallas Buyers Club - fantastic, with a stunning turn by McConaghey, Jared Leto great too. 9/10; Fury - Brad Pitt's WW2 movie, pointless bollocks, forgotten by the end of the credits. 2/10. Nightcrawler - implausible and unpleasant with a cast of caricatures, but Jake G was pretty good. 3/10

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM;841299" said:
    Yes, I've seen both - got the full-length Wicker Man on DVD. But not the remake, and have no intention of ever doing so!
    Look up the bees scene from the remake, on YouTube, and it will confirm your suspicions.
    Use Your Brian
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    ICBM;841299" said:
    Look up the bees scene from the remake, on YouTube, and it will confirm your suspicions.
    It's worth watching the remake just for Nic Cage's performance, which is quite extraordinary.  In a bad way.  It's hilarious.  

I'm still amazed that Neil LaBute - a good filmmaker, not an idiot by any means - was arrogant enough to not only attempt a remake of The Wicker Man, but to think it was a good idea to totally change the plot. 
  • Tomorrowland.

Great shots, acting and story very positive too.
    It's Disney production so it has a 'family movie' structure but carries an optimistic message and shows the future in bright lights which I don't think we see enough.
    I've seen it in full HD and picture is stunning. Makes me think that the new Star Wars movie will be at least eye pleasing ;)

8.5/10
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Philly_Q said:
    It's worth watching the remake just for Nic Cage's performance, which is quite extraordinary.  In a bad way.  It's hilarious.
    I can't stand him. The only thing that would make me watch it is if they actually set fire to him properly, preferably at the start. The only film he's ever made which is any good is Raising Arizona, in which he plays (or perhaps doesn't) a moron…

Tomorrowland.

8.5/10
    Glad it's not just me who liked that. I was beginning to think it might be!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited November 2015
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I can't stand him. The only thing that would make me watch it is if they actually set fire to him properly, preferably at the start. The only film he's ever made which is any good is Raising Arizona, in which he plays (or perhaps doesn't) a moron…

I like him.  At his best, he can be goofily endearing, completely batshit crazy, a plausible action hero, a quirky romantic lead.... he even won an Oscar (admittedly for a film I don't like at all).  I can't deny that most of his recent performances seem to be on autopilot, and he often seems to be acting in a different film from the rest of the cast... but he's weird.  And I like that.    

• SibeliusSibelius Frets: 1401

No Escape

Pierce Brosnan actually acts in it.

A good chase flick 6/10

I am however a fanboi of researching things before spouting shit
  • I have a soft spot for Cage. He was ace in Bad Lieutenant, but Herzog was always likely to bring the best out of him. They're both lunatics.
    Use Your Brian
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719

Noticed he's in a lot of sorta-religious films.

I can't work out if that's cos he is religious or other actors go "no, f*ck that!" and the director sighs and shrugs "better call Nic Cage".

He is awful. [whispered] awful.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Revenge For Jolly!

Pisser ending tho.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • just watched the possession. was watchable but nothing special tbh.  
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• Bonfire night tends to mean a loud fillum, squeaky toys and herbal calming. Probably at least two more nights of this. Tonight we had Batman Begins, about half an hour in I worked out I've never seen it before when I thought I had. Doh. It's alright. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    edited November 2015
    Hotel Transylvania 2...got told off for using my phone...looking at classifieds fx section on here! Film was shite but the kids liked it :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tonight's anti fireworks film was Gone Girl. I thought I wouldn't like it but got quite engrossed. It isn't brilliant although there is a startlingly good pair of breasts briefly.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    St Vincent. Bill Murray plays grumpy old git who's actually a decent guy underneath. I know Bill can be a bit of an acquired taste but there were some genuine laugh out loud moments and Mrs9000 and I really enjoyed it. Definitely recommended.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    edited November 2015

"Predestination."

Thought it was thoroughly engrossing, even if I had no idea what the fuck was going on. I may also mostly be having the odd shuffle over Sarah Snook, who is a ginger.