What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Finally got round to watching the excellently-filmed and acted, but overly short and oddly unsatisfying Gravity, last night. Just sat and watched Muppet Christmas Carol with my little one and actually had to fight back a tear.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    goldtop said:
    The Danish Girl - the latest movie wherein Eddie Redmayne gets right inside the a physically different character. And he does it very well again. It's a good movie, 7/10.

Mostly disappointed though because after watching it, I looked up the fascinating true story, and many more important/controversial/interesting stuff was left out.
    That was true to some extent with the Stephen Hawking one as well. I still thought it was good though, and he's a remarkable actor. I haven't seen The Danish Girl yet.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Minions : very silly, funny, enjoyed it.

Kingsmen  :  very silly, funny, enjoyed it.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3616
    Iron Man 3 on BBC last night - just seemed to be non stop explosions of one sort or another.

Not my cuppa tea at all.
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    I watched a Disney film 'Tomorrowland' late last night after getting the latest KODI set up on my PC. Turned out very enjoyable SciFi film.   image
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22738
    I watched Spy last night.

Went in with no expectations, I've never seen a Melissa McCarthy film before, I don't like most American comedies... but it was very funny.  Looking forward to the Ghostbusters reboot now.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Watched Revenant over the New Year, visually stunning and gripping film, highly enjoyable . Joy, oh dear,the same cast working brilliantly in Silver Linings Playbook, in this, it's a turgid mess of a film, avoid :(
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Philly_Q said:
    I watched Spy last night.

Went in with no expectations, I've never seen a Melissa McCarthy film before, I don't like most American comedies... but it was very funny.  Looking forward to the Ghostbusters reboot now.

I watched a bit of that programme on what ex spies thought about spy movies and they really liked that one. I probably CBA to get to the cinema to see it but once I can get it into a small screen I'd be keen. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12349
    hotpot;920290" said:
    I watched a Disney film 'Tomorrowland' late last night after getting the latest KODI set up on my PC. Turned out very enjoyable SciFi film.  
    I really must watch that again. I saw it on a long haul night flight and just didn't understand it at all. I suspect I might have fallen asleep in the middle though. The bits I remember looked very well done.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Watched 'The Hobbit - Battle of the five armies' last night. Really enjoyed it. I was a massive fan of the LOTR trilogy but I personally think the Hobbit trilogy is much, much better.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Bird Man. I found it hard going. As a film it's admirable as craft and film buffs and students can pick it apart for years to come but I struggled to get engaged with it.
    I started watching it, but tbh it got on my wick after about half an hour and I turned it off. Films should be enoyable, not a chore.

I have started watching Interstellar - I am about 1hr 20 in, and tbh, it could have had the first hour cut out. I have a feeling it will be pretty rubbish, or at best average.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4689
    Snap said:
    Bird Man. I found it hard going. As a film it's admirable as craft and film buffs and students can pick it apart for years to come but I struggled to get engaged with it.
    I started watching it, but tbh it got on my wick after about half an hour and I turned it off. Films should be enoyable, not a chore.

I have started watching Interstellar - I am about 1hr 20 in, and tbh, it could have had the first hour cut out. I have a feeling it will be pretty rubbish, or at best average.

I'd go with the former.

Agree about Birdman as well, although it's a good film and worth the chore in the end.

• SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Rubbish? Balls, I like scifi, I like Christopher Nolan, and most of the actors in the film. I like the score too. I'll see it through.

Birdman - nah, can't be arsed. It bugged me.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4689

Hateful 8.  Seemed quite formulaic Tarantino to me.  Kurt Russell was pretty good but the film is too static, both in location and plot.  I though Django was better but still worth watching.

Star Wars TFA.  Very good.  Visually 9/10, overall 7/10.  Big homage to 'A new hope', ticked all the boxes for Start Wars Fans but the plot too close to the original.  Hopefully, having alleviated everybody's fears, the next episode can take a few more risks.  Great ending though.

Not a film but Fargo Season 1.  Absolutely amazing, loved it.  Dark, but charming. 

Magnum Force.  70's classic.  Sparse, sinister and good soundtrack.

Bad Santa.  Classic Xmas film.  Looking forward to Bad Santa 2 next Christmas.  Shit happens when you party naked.

Elf.  First time I've seen this.  Daft, but some really funny moments.  My 6 year old lad found it hilarious and watched it 3 times.

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I watched Kingsmen again last night, still incredibly entertaining.
  • Fight Club - saw it the other night for the first time, believe it or not.

A little bit too arty farty for me, with the philosophical BS at every turn.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Snap said:

I'd go with the former.

Agree about Birdman as well, although it's a good film and worth the chore in the end.

I think had I been sat in an art house cinema with a bag of maltesers and really focussed on Birdman I could have got more out of it. At home I was just too easily distracted from it and I had to keep coming back to it like a text book. Instellar on the other hand I have watched but now can't remember a thing about so it didn't make much of an impact! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    Snap;920870" said:

Interstellar is one of the few films I've actually walked out of rather than wasting 90 minutes of my life that I'd never get back.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • derndern Frets: 357
    Star wars - nothing more than a nostalgia trip imo. Loved the original in 77 and the two follow ons but this just seemed like the stitching together of the best bits of those. Shame.

Chappie - enjoyed it although fell short of the superb district 9.

Saw some old classics before christmas and of those the one still still blows me away was Heat.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24202
    Watched the kids xmas prezzie films

Pixels: Adam Sandler. Urgh. Gaming nostalgia was fun, and there was a Cheap Trick tune. Other than that 4/10

Minions: Not as bad as feared, but nowhere near as good as Despicable Me. Clearly a promotional campaign for toy selling. 5/10

Inside Out: Dull dull dull. 3/10