What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24267
    The new BBC version of "And Then There Were None"

Brilliant. Fantastic. Stunning. 

If you missed it (3 parts over xmas) then go and find it now.

9.5 / 10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404

The big short

This film explains and explores the events that lead to the collapse of the sub prim mortgage industry and the bonds built from these mortgages that were always going to default. Some people could see this coming and effectively bet'ed against the housing market

Interesting to me having self certified my own mortgage during these times, now I can see why it was so easy. Star studded cast although you won't recognize Brad Pitt when he does appear 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    HAL9000 said:
    Snap;920870" said:

I have started watching Interstellar - I am about 1hr 20 in, and tbh, it could have had the first hour cut out. I have a feeling it will be pretty rubbish, or at best average.
    Interstellar is one of the few films I've actually walked out of rather than wasting 90 minutes of my life that I'd never get back.
    Ditto. I watched the first 40 minutes & was bored out of my tree, It was rambling & I couldn't make sense of it!
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    I just thought the part of the film upto him joining the mission was pretty pointless and overblown. Talk about rambling. And, you would have thought that by now, filmakers can make Matthew McConnaghy( SP?) audible. He don't half mumble.

Lastly, is it just me, or is the audio on the Sky version of this film really quiet? As in about a third the volume of normal TV. I got it on Sky On Demand, and had to crank the TV right up.
  • Not a flim but Les Miserables at The Queen's Theatre. A masterpiece of live performance. Phil Daniels (Quadrophenia, Scum, Sunnyside Farm and EastEnders) is stunning in musical theatre, I'd never have thought it.

As for the lungs on the guy playing Javier: I was two rows from the front - I though I was going to get blasted away by the power of his voice. Top notch stuff. Definitely worth an evening out.

10/10
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22786
    Man of Tai Chi  

Interesting choice by Keanu Reeves for his first film as director, and he hams it up something rotten as the villain... but good stuff, nonetheless.
  • SibeliusSibelius Frets: 1401

Loads of documentaries

Maiden Trip. 7/10 Awesome documentary about a 14 yr old girl who sales around the world...alone!

The Central Park 5 8/10

Kids for cash    8/10

West Of Memphis 9/10

I am however a fanboi of researching things before spouting shit
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10268
    We Need To Talk About Kevin.

Extremely grim but absolutely compelling.Tilda Swintons performance is stunning as is the actors who play the young and older Kevin.

Highly recommended.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24267
    Star Wars. Just a remake. Crushingly disappointed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Sibelius said:

Loads of documentaries

Maiden Trip. 7/10 Awesome documentary about a 14 yr old girl who sales around the world...alone!

The Central Park 5 8/10

Kids for cash    8/10

West Of Memphis 9/10

I like documentaries.
     I watched Twinsters (2015).
    2 South Korean girls are adopted at birth in 1987.
    Anais is living in London. Her friends say to her one day - hey, this girl on youtube (in Los Angeles)  looks exactly like you.....
    :-O
    They figure it out. When they meet it is wonderful. No hugging or touching each other. Just staring at each other. And laughing.

Have already mentioned He Named Me Malala. Excellent for all sensitive leftie types.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28151
    I tried to watch Inglourious Basterds but only got about an hour or so in. Felt like weeks. 3/10.

The Great Race was on over WInterval; still a solid 9.1/10.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • SibeliusSibelius Frets: 1401
    Skipped said:
    Sibelius said:

Loads of documentaries

The Central Park 5 8/10

Kids for cash    8/10

West Of Memphis 9/10

I like documentaries.
     I watched Twinsters (2015).
    2 South Korean girls are adopted at birth in 1987.
    Anais is living in London. Her friends say to her one day - hey, this girl on youtube (in Los Angeles)  looks exactly like you.....
    :-O
    They figure it out. When they meet it is wonderful. No hugging or touching each other. Just staring at each other. And laughing.

Have already mentioned He Named Me Malala. Excellent for all sensitive leftie types.
    Twinsters is next on my list! There's quite a few good ones on Netflix at the mo
     I am however a fanboi of researching things before spouting shit
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Well we had Home which was an okay cartoon, bit of background with purple aliens. Then The Oxford Murders which I enjoyed a lot. Murder mystery including Leonor Watling with whom I may now be in love.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    Nosferatu, still very watchable, interesting seeing how they used to ratchet up the tension with no dialogue as such. Getting into my silents. Cabinet of Dr Caligari next.
    Use Your Brian
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    This thread has more use than first appears. I'm thinking anything @EricTheWeary didn't like is probably a good film for me and anything @hungrymark likes is a bridge too far for me at the moment but I'll get there. Anyone who liked Iron Man and Starwars opinion is invaild :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22786
    Nosferatu, still very watchable, interesting seeing how they used to ratchet up the tension with no dialogue as such. Getting into my silents. Cabinet of Dr Caligari next.
    Have you seen Faust or Die Nibelungen?  Or the Dr Mabuse films?  All great stuff.
  • The Poltergeist remake which was ok but nothing special.

The Thing from 2011 which I think deserves a second viewing.

The Force Awakens seemed like a lazy 'Best Of Star Wars' at times. Time will tell if was a good film or just a fan boy pleaser but it certainly made my inner manchild happy.

I picked up a Predator Trilogy boxset the other day for a fiver and enjoyed re watching.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    Rewatched The Wizard of Oz, with the other half who, somehow, had never seen it in 50 years.

She was totally unmoved, and I have to say, so was I. It doesn't need repeat watching as an adult. Best seen as a kid, and then left tucked away in the deeper recesses of your nostalgia.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited January 2016
    Sporky;928264" said:

The Great Race was on over WInterval; still a solid 9.1/10.
    Showing my age here but anything with Virna Lisi is OK in my book.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Finally got to watch The Martian. I enjoyed it.. Kinda upbeat!
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life