What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    watched The Big Short last night which i thought was excellent.....should be compulsory viewing for all those still under the impression we are led by anything other than C**ts    10/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Heat  - not half as funny as it is supposed to be but killed and hour or two.

Argo - Excellent, Funny and intense all at the same time .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Still working my way through the stuff on Amazon that looks okay. The Imitation Game. In which Sheldon Cooper goes back through time to fight the Nazis.

Sorry, had to get that out of my head - the first impression that Benedict Cucumberpatch was playing Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory got lodged in my mind. He even tells a joke previously heard on BBT. Maybe Sheldon is based on Alan Turing and it all makes sense.

I think it just makes the mistake of trying to encompass too much so every other sentence has explanatory dialogue about shipping patterns in the mid Atlantic or indecency laws. Maybe something more focused on the characters and their relationships or even on putting the computer together. Turing was treated unfairly, gay men in Britain were treated unfairly, there was a lot of sexism in the 1940's. The need to underline all this just takes you out of the film, can't we just work this stuff out from context rather than being treated like idiots? Whilst I'm being critical I'm not certain about the Mancunian accents on offer.

It's an interesting story and it kept my attention but not deserving of the 'instant classic' plaudits.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Me again :) Filmed in Supermarionation which I found on Sky Arts catch up on Now TV. If you have any interest in those puppet based shows well worth a watch. Some of the Barry Gray music is excellent.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
    edited February 2016

Susie Blows the Dean.

Plot wasn't up to much , felt like I'd seen it before ,

and the ending was sooooo predictable. :D

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9552
    Room - actually something Mrs9000 wanted to see. Not really my cup of tea, but have to say it wasn't at all bad. More one for the ladies but a solid 7.5/10.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    HAL9000 said:
    Room - actually something Mrs9000 wanted to see. Not really my cup of tea, but have to say it wasn't at all bad. More one for the ladies but a solid 7.5/10.
    Mark Kermode was full of praise for it, which made me think it might be worth a go, although it doesn't sound like my kind of thing.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357

Room as been my fav film this year so far, I thought it was very good 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Legends - about Ronnie and Reggie. Wasn't bad, well acted for the main roles, nothing ground breaking, less violent than expected really. 6/10
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    I never thought I'd watch a movie that would make Micheal Bay's efforts seem Oscar worthy and yet last night I half watched Batteship on E4. I'm not proud of myself!
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    I watched room last night. Have to say it was pretty good. Not mindblowing but certainly a lot better than some films.
    Awful screening though, relentless rustling and even a woman talking on her mobile FFS
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I just watched Spotlight.
    Superb.

My jaw was on the floor at the incredible nuanced performance from Mark Ruffalo. I would give him the Oscar right now (Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role).

• Watched this on youtube last night. (Its got 8.2 rating on imdb). Searching for sugar man:

Admittedly Id never heard of the guy until now, and after reading more on wikipedia Ive noticed they have glossed over some key facts that might have diluted the story, 'artistic license' I guess. But I wont spoil it for anyone that wants to watch it. Worth a watch.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9552
    edited February 2016
    Skipped;967788" said:
    I just watched Spotlight.

Superb.

My jaw was on the floor at the incredible nuanced performance from Mark Ruffalo. I would give him the Oscar right now (Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role).
    Just watched Spotlight this evening and have to agree. Superb. 9/10 from me.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Hamilton. Swedish secret agent stuff. Enjoyed. Edgy.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • d8md8m Frets: 2431
    Sicario.

Don't bother.

• BudgieBudgie Frets: 2099
    Mr. Turner. I really enjoyed this, the cinematography is excellent, as is Timothy Spall's portrayal of Turner. It was a little disjointed at times with one scene jumping to another in little snapshots but definitely worth watching. 8/10
  • d8m;970513" said:
    Sicario.

Don't bother.
    You didn't like it. Why is that?

I think it was a quite decent movie actually. Started with a bang and was well paced throughout. Del Toro, Emily Blunt were good and if not for the ending I'd rate it a strong 8/10. Bit "hollywoody" but not bad for drugs'n'guns thriller IMHO.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826

d8m;970513" said:
    Sicario.

Don't bother.
    You didn't like it. Why is that?

I think it was a quite decent movie actually. Started with a bang and was well paced throughout. Del Toro, Emily Blunt were good and if not for the ending I'd rate it a strong 8/10. Bit "hollywoody" but not bad for drugs'n'guns thriller IMHO.

I have to agree with @d8m

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Trumbo, excellent cast and a fascinating insight into McCarthy era America and the Film industry Blacklist