What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    The Rack Pack on the iplayer. About Higgins vs Davis. You probably need some interest in snooker, I don't have that much but these were household names at their peak/ peak of snooker on tv so having lived through the eighties might be enough background. Obviously fairly low budget and the story of a man drinking himself to death isn't cheery. Reflects somewhat better on those who are still alive, Davis' manager as a loveable cockney for example - yet as he seemed to control almost the entire professional game I have to wonder if he is / was quite the nice guy painted here. Interesting watch and got me through the ironing.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    stickyfiddle;1005331" said:
    Zootropolis (might be called Zootopia in the UK, some odd licencing thing around that I think).

New Disney animated thingy. Quite funny, more adult-targeted jokes than Frozen and no songs, which is good.
    Took the kids to see this today. Very much a "believe in yourself and follow your dreams kids" type movie. Jokes are pretty thin on the ground, the sloths are the best bit. I was glad when the nipper asked to go to the loo. Good reviews but nothing special
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• The final Hunger Games. Enjoyed the other ones, didn't enjoy this last one so much, didn't feel like it worked as an ending to the story...dragged a lot then ended in a rush. Plus a lot of loose ends that weren't properly explained...BUT all of this with the caveat that I had a weird reaction to something I ate last night and was very fidgety and jittery...probably wasn't giving the film due attention.

• High Rise - Thoroughly mad and almost beyond comprehension at time. I loved it 10 out of 10

Man Of Steel - Great stuff, although the final fight scene seemed to go on for quite a bit. 8 out of 10

Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice - A great film that I believe suffered too much from trying to fit too many elements in.  It manages to get those elements in, but it is not tidy.

Ben Affleck is a great Bruce Wayne, and Jeremy Irons is a brilliant, if underused, Alfred Pennyworth. While Jesse Eisenberg does make a unique villain, I don't think that he'll be accepted as Lex Luthor by everyone.

I found the appearance of Wonder Woman very exciting. At that point in the movie everything was turned up to max, and then some.

It's not the perfect movie but it is still very entertaining.

9/10
  • tabbycattabbycat Frets: 340
    edited March 2016
    fassbinder's 'lola' 1981. 2nd part of the brd trilogy.

'die ehe der maria braun' (1st part) wiped me out. stupendous performance by hanna schygulla as maria. heart-breaking, as hard as it tries to be life-affirming.

'lola' felt more superficial and artificial but it's the afterglow impression of the thing that is catching up with me now. it's almost too big and complicated to be comprehended within the time it takes to watch it, so your mind is left struggling to catch up for ages afterwards. sorting through the layers;
    it's about a cabaret singer and whore.
    no, it's about germany coming to terms with free-market capitalism following her recovery from ww2.
    no, it's about how people embrace the security and limited conveniences of slavery and prostitution (in the broadest sense) and give up the pursuit of real freedom, with all its inherent risks and uncertainties. the further i get away from the film the bigger it gets.

was going to start watching 'veronika voss' (3rd part) tonight, but my head is still bursting with 'lola'. so am going to watch a documentary about fassbinder instead. he blows my mind.

if you like european film and haven't given fassbinder a lot of time to date, get started. he's a giant. maria braun is a good one to start. petra von kant good too.

"be a good animal, true to your instincts" (d.h.lawrence).
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1527
    The final Hunger Games. Enjoyed the other ones, didn't enjoy this last one so much, didn't feel like it worked as an ending to the story...dragged a lot then ended in a rush. Plus a lot of loose ends that weren't properly explained...BUT all of this with the caveat that I had a weird reaction to something I ate last night and was very fidgety and jittery...probably wasn't giving the film due attention.
    The books are a lot better than the films. There is a lot of content skipped and glossed over in the films. Although I do think the last one is the worst book out of the three.

• SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    Hansel & Gretel - Witch Hunters

Awesome film. Not a great film, but most entertaining.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    edited March 2016
    Finally got round to watching Spectre..... Spoilers.

..it's shit
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickersticker Frets: 869

Ant-man , better than I thought it would be .

In fact I think it is the best Marvel film of the recent phase (Iron Man3 ,Thor2 , Winter Soldier , Age of Ultron) .

Man of Steel . fairly enjoyable apart from Russell Crowe , who just gets on my tits .

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    There Will Be Blood. Depressing.
    Daniel Day Lewis acts out of his skin though.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    The Imitation Game

As expected - very well-made, story somewhat simplified and dramaticised (the reality was probably much more tedious and stressful), Benedict Cumberbatch excellent, Keira Knightley irritating, Charles Dance does his usual prickly arrogant character very well, everyone else competent but not that memorable.

7-8/10.

I think Eddie Redmayne did probably deserve to beat Cumberbatch for the Oscar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• sticker said:

In fact I think it is the best Marvel film of the recent phase (Iron Man3 ,Thor2 , Winter Soldier , Age of Ultron) .

Man of Steel . fairly enjoyable apart from Russell Crowe , who just gets on my tits .

@Sticker, what did you think of Kevin Costner's part in MoS?  I thought he played his role brilliantly.
    Janis Joplin : Little Girl Blue. Watched in bits off the iplayer. Not somebody I have ever been that interested in but one of those iconic rock figures. I really don't like her voice at times but when she took it down a notch she was, obviously, amazing. More talking heads than Amy (see my review up above somewhere). Again I wonder how somebody using so many substances achieved anything let alone albums and tours.
    Very straightforward rock doc if, largely, sad.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3489
    The Witch.  One of the better new horror films I have seen for a very long time. 
    Half watching A View To A Kill. Terrible. One of the best Bond themes though.
  • stickersticker Frets: 869

sticker said:

@Sticker, what did you think of Kevin Costner's part in MoS?  I thought he played his role brilliantly

I thought both he and Diane Lane did a top job , best I've seen from either of them for some time  ,Cavill was good ,  Amy Adams was ok but the best by far was Michael Shannon .

I hope they find some way of using both Shannon and Costner in future films .

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
    Kajaki (aka 'Kilo Two Bravo').  The true story of a team from 3 Para who found themselves trapped in an ex-Russian minefield in Afghanistan in 2006.  Tense isn't the word for it.  Brutally graphic and heartbreaking in equal measure.

10/10. 
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    Part of my evening of festive sitting on my arse was watching Inside Out. Bit overly complex way to string out a simple basic idea.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641
    Sicario. Well shot, good atmosphere but quite dull overall. I like this kind of film, but didn't like this much.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12253
    Agreed @Emp_Fab excellent film. largely unknown cast makes it all the better I think.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"