What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    I watched HUman Centipede I, but turned it off before the end. I didn'#t see the point in watching it tbh, just made my skin crawl, rank. The lead character is hideous too, well cast, well played, horrible.

Just watched Spooks The Greater Good - it was alright, average. Just like an extended TV episode really. A bit far fetched too, not as well made as a lot of the original series which were quite dark and gritty a lot of the time.The film was a sanitised version.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Snap;1066087" said:
    I watched HUman Centipede I, but turned it off before the end. I didn'#t see the point in watching it tbh, just made my skin crawl, rank. The lead character is hideous too, well cast, well played, horrible.

Just watched Spooks The Greater Good - it was alright, average. Just like an extended TV episode really. A bit far fetched too, not as well made as a lot of the original series which were quite dark and gritty a lot of the time.The film was a sanitised version.
    I watched the start of Spooks but having never seen the TV series it wasn't falling together for me. I paused it to go off and do something and never went back. The start was 'incredibly important prisoner who might be sprung by terrorists, let's make it a piece of piss for them to get him.' I can only hope it turned out to be a double bluff otherwise the premise of the whole thing was crap.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    watched 10 Cloverfield Lane last night, great original concept, really well done definitely worth a watch

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2593
    edited May 2016
    Miles Ahead - I'm a huge MD fan, have read most of the better known bios (in fact I just got Ian Carr's bio, the best one and newly available in Kindle just today, so I can re-read it.)  The film is pretty silly but with some decent moments/performances and of course a killer soundtrack.  6/10 for non-Miles obsessives, add a point or two for those of us who are.

Eye In The Sky - One of those films that creates an artificial scenario to explore moral complication.  I have a taste for that kind of thing if it's well done.  Here it's about whether or not to activate a drone that's guaranteed to kill innocent civilians if many more lives are potentially saved.  On the plus side it's quite stylish, the set-up is quite fresh,  it's well-acted and the moral nuances are very nicely brought out.  On the negative, the scenario envisaged is outrageously improbable and there's an over-reliance on standard suspense thriller tropes (which I personally hate).  Still, thought provoking and somewhat above average entertainment. 7/10.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28137
    I saw Pacific Rim yesterday. How del Toro gets booked for this work is beyond me. He managed to make a film of Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots that's considerably worse in every regard than Battleship was. 3/11

Actually, Battleship is on now, and it's perfectly enjoyable. Crap but enjoyable, and vastly superior to Pacific Rim. 6/9
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    Sporky said:
    I saw Pacific Rim yesterday. How del Toro gets booked for this work is beyond me. He managed to make a film of Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots that's considerably worse in every regard than Battleship was. 3/11

Actually, Battleship is on now, and it's perfectly enjoyable. Crap but enjoyable, and vastly superior to Pacific Rim. 6/9
    I wouldn't go so far as to say Battleship is actually better than Pacific Rim, but you do have a point.

I fear del Toro is becoming the new Peter Jackson.  I wish he'd go back to basics and do a low budget movie in Spain or Mexico.  That said, I haven't seen Crimson Peak yet...
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1302
    Midnight Special.
    Quite eighties in a lot of ways. I enjoyed it but never really bought into the peril of the situation.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    Room.
    Considering the subject matter it isn't too dark , though it does have its share of tense moments.
    A thoughtful portrayal and I thought the kid was really good.
    8/10
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 411
    Dead Pool, very funny in a typical Ryan Reynolds continuously smart mouth way.  Oh and bloody violence as well for good measure.  Enjoyed it.

Sicario, Wowsers!  Great film.  Great cast.  Not the typical Mexican drug war tpye of movie.  Who knew Juarez was so lovely?  
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24257
    Sporky said:

It was a great B movie!

• Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited May 2016
    anomalisa

1hr and a half of my life I will never get back, and one scene in particular is definitely not family viewing! cant understand the good reviews. its awful. 
    My son was watching Quadrophenia and it isn't long since I watched it. It occurred to me that the problem with it is The Who original music. Very sixties film with these bits of seventies soft rock dotted through it. That may even be ironic. B-)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    My son was watching Quadrophenia and it isn't long since I watched it. It occurred to me that the problem with it is Sting
    Corrected :).

For me, Kingsmen: The Secret Service

My wife was attracted to it by having Colin Firth in it. To be honest, he isn't bad but he's rather wasted in the role, as is Samuel L Jackson as the baddie, although he's probably the best thing in it. I suspect it's aimed at more of a teenage audience, since we really didn't think it was that great… very obviously based on a comic, and an odd mixture of fairly weak humour and violence. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I've seen much better.

6/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26961
    10 Cloverfield Lane

Tightly written, well acted thriller. Until the last 15 minutes where it all gets a bit silly. Good for a saturday night at home but I wouldn't pay for it.

6/10
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    ICBM said:
    My son was watching Quadrophenia and it isn't long since I watched it. It occurred to me that the problem with it is Sting
    Corrected :).

For me, Kingsmen: The Secret Service

My wife was attracted to it by having Colin Firth in it. To be honest, he isn't bad but he's rather wasted in the role, as is Samuel L Jackson as the baddie, although he's probably the best thing in it. I suspect it's aimed at more of a teenage audience, since we really didn't think it was that great… very obviously based on a comic, and an odd mixture of fairly weak humour and violence. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I've seen much better.

6/10
    Yes, Sting might be the bigger problem. 

Kingsmen is cartoonish inserted with quite violent bits and references to anal sex which are a bit jolting. Didn't work very well for me. 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7777
    I really don't watch much TV (including films, I haven't been to the cinema for ages) but I watched Shutter Island the other week as it's been on my Tivo for ages.

I enjoyed some of it but overall it was rubbish.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    DiscoStu said:
    Room.
    Considering the subject matter it isn't too dark , though it does have its share of tense moments.
    A thoughtful portrayal and I thought the kid was really good.
    8/10
    Yeah I thought the same, highly recommended and the kid is very good
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    Yes, Sting might be the bigger problem. 
    He's like a big THIS IS 1979 sign dropped right into the middle of what's meant to be 1965 - he sadly ruins what is otherwise a really well-observed period piece. I know what you mean about the music, but it doesn't jar with me in the same way - maybe because I also think it's Townshend's best work apart from Who's Next.

Kingsmen is cartoonish inserted with quite violent bits and references to anal sex which are a bit jolting.
    Exactly. I didn't find it offensive, just a bit unnecessarily awkward and not as funny as it was supposed to be.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Elysium. Watchable, even though the story is a bit obvious and clunky. It also made me realise that Jodie Foster has quite odd looking legs.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10267
    We Are Twisted Fucking Sister!

Wow,those guys really payed their dues on the live circuit before getting a deal.Really good watch and they all come across as really decent guys,especially Dee Snider.
    Laugh, love, live, learn.