What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9658
    The Insider. Russell Crowe stars as an ex tobacco industry research scientist turned whistleblower. Al Pacino is the journalist trying to put his story out. Based on the true story of  Jeff Wigand. Gripping stuff. 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Inferno.   Not much to think about and was good entertainment.  

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1299
    Star Trek: Beyond.  Watchable but feels very much like a re-hash.  Mysterious villainous race acquire super-weapon, USS Enterprise crew left isolated on a hostile planet.  Can they save the universe?  If it were a spoiler for anyone to know the answer to that question is Yes, then I might disagree that it is a rather lazy plot.  Simon Pegg co-wrote it too.

Suicide Squad.  Will Smith plays himself in most roles, at least you know what you're getting.  I never really buy the "Bad guys doing good" thing in films.  Make them baaad.  Even the guy who killed his family is portrayed in a way to make you sympathise.  I'm not sure the Joker and his lady do anything bad for the whole film beyond the shooting of nameless soldiers.  And then they all realise how important their mission is and blah blah they work together as a family etc.....  A bit of a wasted opportunity, they just made a marvel film.

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4665
    Watched  Don't Breathe last night, bit meh for a supposed thriller 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26928
    Star Trek Beyond. I thought it was a god recovery after the mess that was Into Darkness, but also a bit too much "action movie in Star Trek uniforms" rather than proper Trek-feeling throughout. And Idris Elba just plays himself like in everything, which is dull. That said, every other performance was excellent and I certainly enjoyed it.

7.5/10
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Just more iPlayer stuff but The Story of Skinhead. People trying to convince Don Letts that skinhead culture isn't all aggression and racism.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22742
    The Greasy Strangler.  Not one to take the kids to over half term.
  • Watched  Don't Breathe last night, bit meh for a supposed thriller 

I've watched it last night too and was pleasantly surprised. For a thriller with burglary story it was actually pretty tense, with a few twists to the story too.
    I wasn't expecting much and for that reason I'd give that movie solid 7/10

As for Star Trek Beyond...
    Have seen it the night before and yeah, it was OK but I just cannot convince myself to the new ST movies. Kirk, Spock - they are terrible characters... movie itself was fine- some action and decent FX, story was just like yet another ST movie. Their ship gets destroyed, they land on enemy planet, they win in the end by destroying 'big freakin'gun'. 
    Ps- how many starships they are going through in that series? ;-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Watched Mrs perguines home for peculiar children. Mainly because i didnt want to get stuck in traffic Friday night....it started off really good. I thought it might have been a return to form for Mr Burton....alas no. It gets pretty crap pretty quickly.

Then watched an old clint eastwood film with gene hackman "absolute power"....pffw that was dire.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24210
    Van Helsing.

2 / 10.

The points are for Kate Beckinsale. Nothing else.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26928
    Van Helsing.

2 / 10.

The points are for Kate Beckinsale. Nothing else.
    I love that movie. Though mostly for happy, slightly-drunken memories of screaming "Van Helsing! You murderer!!!!" at my housemates...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2218
    edited October 2016
    I've just watched the first half of the new Adam Curtis film Hypernormalisation on iPlayer. So far, it's... terrifying and interesting, as expected from a film by Curtis about how f***ed the world is. Second half tonight (I thought two sittings was sensible for a film like this).
  • Miss Monkey and I just watched The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, bloody good film. 

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Miss Monkey and I just watched The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, bloody good film. 
    2013 or 1947 version?
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    Just seen Inferno, the 3rd of the Dan Brown trilogy with Tom Hanks.

10/10 - utterly fucking brilliant.

Has Hanks ever been in a bad film? Genius.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24210
    Gassage said:
    Just seen Inferno, the 3rd of the Dan Brown trilogy with Tom Hanks.

10/10 - utterly fucking brilliant.

Has Hanks ever been in a bad film? Genius.
    The other 2 Dan Brown ones for a start.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    Gassage said:

Has Hanks ever been in a bad film? 
    Completely subjective of course, but yes he jolly well has.

I like him, he's a fine actor, seems like a very nice man too.  But all actors have been in bad films.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12352
    DrJazzTap said:
    Then watched an old clint eastwood film with gene hackman "absolute power"....pffw that was dire.
    I don't know about Tom Hanks making stinky films but Clint has certainly done loads. We watched a bit of Heartbreak Ridge the other night. Christ almighty, what a turd. 
  • made the mistake of watching singles last night. I've had the soundtrack CD for about 20 years so thought I would watch the film. its's got decent reviews but I found it pretty boring and nearly swithed it off before it finished. good to see the grunge band cameos though, about the only thing that held my attention.
  •  The Girl On The Train - 9/10

A very haunting film. A very grim look at alcoholism with a thriller tacked on to it.  

Not a feel good film by any stretch, but I really really enjoyed it.

One criticism I have is that Emily Blunt may have looked too good as an alcoholic.