What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• I watched the recent remake of Godzilla whilst being ill last week. It was TERRIBLE! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    edited October 2016
    The new independence day film. I was so angry at myself for having paid to watch that I felt like headbutting one of the cinema employees on the way out when he asked with a big smile, "ENJOY THE FILM?!"

*THUD

"NO I FUCKING DIDN'T, AND MAYBE IF YOU STOPPED SCREENING THEIR SHITTY FILMS, HOLLYWOOD WILL PULL THEIR FINGER OUT OF THEIR COLLECTIVE ARSEHOLE AND START MAKING DECENT FILMS AGAIN"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    frank1985 said:
    The new independence day film. I was so angry at myself for having paid to watch that I felt like headbutting one of the cinema employees on the way out when he asked with a big smile, "ENJOY THE FILM?!"

*THUD

"NO I FUCKING DIDN'T, AND MAYBE IF YOU STOPPED SCREENING THEIR SHITTY FILMS, HOLLYWOOD WILL PULL THEIR FINGER OUT OF THEIR COLLECTIVE ARSEHOLE AND START MAKING DECENT FILMS AGAIN"
    jeez it's only a film..
    I thought it was fun…

play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just watched Withnail and I on GOLD. Quality  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Watched Tiger Raid last night.  These two mad Irish lads do a tiger kidnapping of this girl and there are lots of plot twists.  6.5/10.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72247
    Sunset Song

Very worthy but rather empty-feeling adaptation of Lewis Grassic Gibbon's WWI-era book. Well-enough made and acted, but somehow didn't have the emotional depth of the book even though it was still quite bleak.

7/10

I also forgot to mention Kubo And The Two Strings a few weeks back - pretty good, some brilliant imagery and a couple of good plot twists that you could work out (not disappointingly so, and the kids didn't), but possibly a slightly weak ending.

8/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    Being a huge Beatles fan I watched Ron Howard's 'Eight days a week' film last night, some of the remastered clips are astonishingly good. It seemed to go through the early touring years too fast & I would have liked some more personal input than there was from Paul & Ringo. 7/10
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10266
    He Never Died,a comedy horror starring Henry Rollins as a social misfit on a mission to free his kidnapped daughter.Quite dark but surprisingly enjoyable with a neat twist.

8/10.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • Yeah Kubo and the Two Strings was awesome - 8/10 also! 
  • I've got a Cineworld card so I see loads of films. I should maybe review them all! 
    Going to see Ouija tonight - I love a good horror!
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I, Daniel Blake today. Definitely not an easy watch. Some touching moments in the film. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28021
    frank1985 said:

*THUD

He'd probably have pulled a shiv on you, and, as you bled out ,screamed into your face "THEN STOP FUCKING GIVING US £20 TO WATCH IT WHILE EATING STALE POPCORN AND LIP & ARSE HOTDOGS. THIS IS YOUR FAULT. I JUST WORK HERE."
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • 'Nice guys' - storyline is ok, but it is a very funny comedy thats well worth a watch.

'lights out' - fairly good horror, a few decent shit-your-pants jumpy bits. So worth a go aswell.

'dont breathe'- was surprised by this film, the first 10 mins i though it was going to be crap, but it was great. Good modern thriller film, and the unkown (to me anyway) cast did an excellent job.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    edited October 2016
    "The Wailing" http://https//www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_wailing/  98%!

Third film from Korean director Na Hong-Jin (The Chaser, The Yellow Sea) who must be among the most exciting two or three directors in the world presently.

"A stranger arrives in a little village and soon after a mysterious sickness starts spreading. A policeman is drawn into the incident and is forced to solve the mystery in order to save his daughter."

The setup is for a darkly comic thriller with horror elements but it turns into something much more genre-bending and thought-provoking than that.  That this movie still has me thinking about it three days later says a hell of a lot.  It's a long movie but the length is necessary for the movie to really sink its ancient claws into your brain.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BODkwMTgxNjA2NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDc0OTcwOTE@._V1_UY1200_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    Miss Monkey and I just watched The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, bloody good film. 
    2013 or 1947 version?

2013, although I did know it was a remake. 

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• Philly_Q said:
    Miss Monkey and I just watched The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, bloody good film. 
    2013 or 1947 version?

2013, although I did know it was a remake. 
    That film is so good.  I did not know what to expect as I just put it on, but I really enjoyed it.

@Monkeybone, I think one of the bits that I will never forget is the helicopter part, which I saw too soon after David Bowie passing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22730
    mixolyd said:
    "The Wailing" http://https//www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_wailing/  98%!

The setup is for a darkly comic thriller with horror elements but it turns into something much more genre-bending and thought-provoking than that.  That this movie still has me thinking about it three days later says a hell of a lot.  It's a long movie but the length is necessary for the movie to really sink its ancient claws into your brain.

Very good film.  As you say, it's long but the mood changes so much over the course of the film - from out and out comedy to something very much grimmer - that the additional time spent getting to know the characters really helps.

I must admit I didn't fully understand all the detail of the plot or the relationships betwen one or two of the characters, I'm looking forward to seeing it again.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Latest films so far
    Swiss Army Man, absolutely bonkers and brilliant.
    Sausage Party, slow to get going but genuinely laugh out loud

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188

'Cuban Heels' on the Netflix. Nick Frost trying to impress a lady with his Salsa Dancing.

Good fun for a Friday night 6/10

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    Philly_Q said:
    I must admit I didn't fully understand all the detail of the plot or the relationships betwen one or two of the characters, I'm looking forward to seeing it again.
    Yes I was a bit confused at the end and spent some time on YouTube looking at an explanation of the events which eventually cleared things up a bit even if the actual explanation was not quite right.  When watching it again bear in mind that this force is playing by rules but it's not the rules we are used to.