What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited October 2016
    mixolyd said:
    Rotten tomatoes ratings are misleading. People look at them and think it is the average rating people have given the film. It is not.

Look at the smaller text. The reason it has 98% is because 50 critics rated "fresh", and 1 critic rated it "rotten". Basically 1 critic hated it. The average rating is actually 80% (8/10) for critics, and 82% (4.1/5) for the general public.

Not having a go at the film, that is still a good average rating, but the rotten tomatoes ratings are misleading in my opinion. I always go by the Imdb rating. If it is under 7 on imdb I dont usually bother with it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22772
    mixolyd said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I must admit I didn't fully understand all the detail of the plot or the relationships betwen one or two of the characters, I'm looking forward to seeing it again.
    Yes I was a bit confused at the end and spent some time on YouTube looking at an explanation of the events which eventually cleared things up a bit even if the actual explanation was not quite right.  When watching it again bear in mind that this force is playing by rules but it's not the rules we are used to.
    I'm sure it'll make sense eventually - in fact there were a couple of times where I thought they were going to leave loose plot threads hanging, but they did go back to them, so presumably everything was clear in the writers' minds at least!  I'm not someone who repeatedly watches the same films, but I'll definitely get the Blu-ray.
  • The Accountant 9/10

A great thriller with a bit of action to boot.  Ben Affleck is not bad and I found the film to be very enjoyable. There is a bit of humour in there to. In fact I laugh at this more than I laughed at 50 Shades of Black.

Definitely worth a watch.
  • I watched the recent remake of Godzilla whilst being ill last week. It was TERRIBLE! 
    @therose789, are you talking about the Godzilla with Bryan Cranston?  In which way was it terrible?  I must admit that I lower a lot of my expectations when I go to see certain films.  In the case of the Godzilla flicks I accept that I'm going to be watching 2 hours of a giant radiation breathing lizard knocking 7 bells out of something.

I thought that version was a particularly well realised version of the monster flick.
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Captain Fantastic

Really excellent, with some great performances.  And no, it's not another superhero film.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I watched the recent remake of Godzilla whilst being ill last week. It was TERRIBLE! 
    @therose789, are you talking about the Godzilla with Bryan Cranston?  In which way was it terrible?  I must admit that I lower a lot of my expectations when I go to see certain films.  In the case of the Godzilla flicks I accept that I'm going to be watching 2 hours of a giant radiation breathing lizard knocking 7 bells out of something.

I thought that version was a particularly well realised version of the monster flick.
    I watched it because I wanted something mindless (was off work ill!) like giant lizards having a brawl but they tried to get clever with the storyline and did a really bad job of it. 

The SFX were great and the monster scenes were cool but the story was just balls! 
  • A few recommendations for everyone:

Whale Rider

Intermission

Half Nelson

Hercules Returns

The Apartment

I watched the recent remake of Godzilla whilst being ill last week. It was TERRIBLE! 

I watched it because I wanted something mindless (was off work ill!) like giant lizards having a brawl but they tried to get clever with the storyline and did a really bad job of it. 

The SFX were great and the monster scenes were cool but the story was just balls! 

I've forgotten nearly everything about it but I seem to recall finding all the military bits with Aaron Taylor Johnson extremely boring and confusing because it was constantly dark.

Still better than that shitty version with Matthew Broderick though.

• Philly_Q said:
    I watched the recent remake of Godzilla whilst being ill last week. It was TERRIBLE! 

I've forgotten nearly everything about it but I seem to recall finding all the military bits with Aaron Taylor Johnson extremely boring and confusing because it was constantly dark.

Still better than that shitty version with Matthew Broderick though.

Absolutely, that one was reaaaaaaly bad! 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26943
    mixolyd said:
    Rotten tomatoes ratings are misleading. People look at them and think it is the average rating people have given the film. It is not.

Look at the smaller text. The reason it has 98% is because 50 critics rated "fresh", and 1 critic rated it "rotten". Basically 1 critic hated it. The average rating is actually 80% (8/10) for critics, and 82% (4.1/5) for the general public.

Not having a go at the film, that is still a good average rating, but the rotten tomatoes ratings are misleading in my opinion. I always go by the Imdb rating. If it is under 7 on imdb I dont usually bother with it.
    I like RT ratings for precisely that reason. The Fresh/Rotten thing isn't a complicated weighting where you have to decide how much you like the movie in comparison with Taxi Driver, Citizen Kane and Ghostbusters 2, it's just a basic "is it worth watching?" marker. That and Kermode's reviews are pretty much the only thing I pay heed to for movies
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    edited October 2016
    Sporky said:
    frank1985 said:
    The new independence day film. I was so angry at myself for having paid to watch that I felt like headbutting one of the cinema employees on the way out when he asked with a big smile, "ENJOY THE FILM?!"

*THUD

"NO I FUCKING DIDN'T, AND MAYBE IF YOU STOPPED SCREENING THEIR SHITTY FILMS, HOLLYWOOD WILL PULL THEIR FINGER OUT OF THEIR COLLECTIVE ARSEHOLE AND START MAKING DECENT FILMS AGAIN"
    He'd probably have pulled a shiv on you, and, as you bled out ,screamed into your face "THEN STOP FUCKING GIVING US £20 TO WATCH IT WHILE EATING STALE POPCORN AND LIP & ARSE HOTDOGS. THIS IS YOUR FAULT. I JUST WORK HERE."

It was more a case of vague discontent, but then you're probably a stranger to hyperbole ;)
  • jack reacher, the first one. watchable but standard action film ending.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28099
    frank1985 said:

It was more a case of vague discontent, but then you're probably a stranger to hyperbole ;)
    I do prefer a good catenary.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    "Naboer". Don't know what that means but it's a psychological one from Norway. If you like the genre do watch it. It's not pretty well-known but it's pretty good in my opinion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    Jack Reacher the 2nd instalment...woeful pile of shit 
    IvanMC said:
    "Naboer". Don't know what that means but it's a psychological one from Norway. If you like the genre do watch it. It's not pretty well-known but it's pretty good in my opinion.
    The English title is "Next Door".  I've got the DVD, don't remember much about it but I must watch it again some time.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5466
    edited October 2016
    The Intouchables - a subtitled French buddy movie which moved me and made me laugh. A real joy 9/10.
    Predator 1 & 2 - Predator is still ace but the sequel hasn't aged so well and I lost interest half way through. 8/10 and 4/10.
    Paddington - yes, Paddington. Caught it on Amazon Prime and thought it had real charm. 7/10.

I really want to see Swiss Army Man, Hunt for the Wilderpeople and Captain Fantastic, but going to see Girl on the Train tomorrow with my g/f.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    edited October 2016
    Just back from doctor strange. I really liked it. Not as much of an inception rip off as I was expecting. Some good light humour with some stunning visuals. Could have been a bit shorter and delved into Stephen Stranges back story a bit more.
    Oh and watched the accountant on Monday night. Really enjoyed that kind of like the Bourne movies meet Nicolas winding refn. A tad baggy and I wish they had focused less on the fighting aspect.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28330
    Also just saw Dr Strange. Absolutely loved it, one of the best superhero films for me. As a big fan of the comics in my youth I thought that I wouldn't like it, but I think that they did a great job. Big thumbs up. As usual, extra scenes after the end of the film so hang around to catch two future setups.
  • Finding dory with chinese writing. I was expecting a better storyline, but still pretty good. bit of sillyness. 7/10