What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Arrival. Really enjoyed it although some parts made no sense. Well shot and acted. I did feel it skipped some of the more interesting things I would have liked to have seen but even so 7.988/10.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12362
    ennspek said:
    Arrival. Really enjoyed it although some parts made no sense. Well shot and acted. I did feel it skipped some of the more interesting things I would have liked to have seen but even so 7.988/10.
    We saw it last night too. It's an interesting idea and the effects were really well done. The build up to the meeting with the aliens was well paced. Good performances by the actors too. But I dunno, it all felt a bit meh by the end. I found it hard to engage with or care about the characters and it left us both feeling a bit nonplussed. 
  • Fantastic Beasts and where to find them - 6.5/10

A not bad fantasy romp.  If your familiar with the Harry Potter series you should be able to see the twists coming.  

A bit of harmless fun for all the family.

Warning: It goes on for about an arse-numbing two and a quarter hours .
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Watched NW last night (recorded on BBC2 I think), and really enjoyed it, especially the last 30 minutes or so. Great characters.
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited November 2016
    I've just looked at my last movie posts and I am putting a moratorium on my use of the word 'romp' in this thread. 

If I use that word again in this thread, within the next six months, I'm donating £100 to tFB coffers.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    edited November 2016
    Just watched Fantasitic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

one of the most entertaining films I've seen in a long time. Excellent 10/10

and it's got of these in it 

https://recruiterpoet.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/fine1.jpg

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    boogieman said:
    ennspek said:
    We saw it last night too. It's an interesting idea and the effects were really well done. The build up to the meeting with the aliens was well paced. Good performances by the actors too. But I dunno, it all felt a bit meh by the end. I found it hard to engage with or care about the characters and it left us both feeling a bit nonplussed. 
    Saw this last night and have to say it started off really well and genuinely seemed more intelligent than lots of Sci-Fi films. Unfortunately it progressively got more ridiculous as the film went on and I have to agree with @boogieman that it was ultimately all a bit meh.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    The Pink Panther. 2/10

Ms Goldtop, shopping alone, bought the whole bl**dy Pink Panther boxset! As a punishment, I made her watch the first one last night. I'd forgotten just how bad it was. Sub-schoolboy slapstick, sub-AdDram farce, etc. Ugh!
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Mistaken For Strangers, the doc about The National on tour by the singer's somewhat dysfunctional brother. More revealing about the maker than the subject. I liked it, other person watching hated it.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28169

If I use that word again in this thread, within the next six months, I'm donating £100 to tFB coffers.
    What word?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:

What word?
    Why the word 'rom... Why you cheeky fkr. You nearly caught me out there.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12362
    Super 8. If The Goonies and ET had a lovechild and they made a film about it. Not what I expected at all, fairly crap actually. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I saw Passengers. It's a 3 minute film that they showed before the main film I went to watch.

Hold on ...... apparently now I'm hearing that it's a thing called a 'trailer' and it's just to advertise the film. It pretty much showed everything though so I'm all good thanks.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24269
    Finally watched The Hateful Eight.

Its like Agatha Christie with extra violence and dodgy accents.

Loved it.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22790
    axisus said:
    I saw Passengers. It's a 3 minute film that they showed before the main film I went to watch.

Hold on ...... apparently now I'm hearing that it's a thing called a 'trailer' and it's just to advertise the film. It pretty much showed everything though so I'm all good thanks.

My rule of thumb is that any trailer which seems to give away a lot of the plot is basically showing you ALL the best bits because they couldn't find anything else to make it look interesting.  Sounds like one to avoid.

(Especially true of any comedy with Vince Vaughn and/or Owen Wilson - watch the trailer and you've already had all the laughs.  Guaranteed.)

• @axisus I haven't seen it yet, but I'm looking forward to Passengers I take it that you're not going to watch it again?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    @axisus I haven't seen it yet, but I'm looking forward to Passengers I take it that you're not going to watch it again?
    To be honest I'm disappointed that they ruined the film with a trailer that I consider full of spoilers. They should have sold it on a Spielberg - type minimalistic trailer, It would have worked perfectly. The art of the trailer is long lost now, just imagine how they'd have ruined a film like Alien nowadays.
  • axisus said:
    @axisus I haven't seen it yet, but I'm looking forward to Passengers I take it that you're not going to watch it again?
    To be honest I'm disappointed that they ruined the film with a trailer that I consider full of spoilers. They should have sold it on a Spielberg - type minimalistic trailer, It would have worked perfectly. The art of the trailer is long lost now, just imagine how they'd have ruined a film like Alien nowadays.
    @axisus , I believe that was true for me with Fantastic Beasts etc .  I'd seen the trailer three or four times the only thing they left out was the cutesy Beasts and the 'twist'.

I don't think I saw any of the trailers for Man of Steel or Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice and I loved 'em both.  I know that I am wrong to like those films as Mark Kermode doesn't, but I have no taste. :)

A trick me and my regular cinema going friends have picked up on is going in about 25 mins after the programme has started: we end up catching the last bit of a trailer, or that bit that shows you which production companies are involved in the film. Maybe trailer dodging is an art in itself.

• Handsome_Chris said:
    A trick me and my regular cinema going friends have picked up on is going in about 25 mins after the programme has started: we end up catching the last bit of a trailer, or that bit that shows you which production companies are involved in the film. Maybe trailer dodging is an art in itself
    That is a great feeling when you walk through the doors and the black certificate screen is just showing. You want everyone else in the cinema to be thinking your a real jammy git for timing it perfectly.  Even though the truth is they probably havent even noticed you coming in.

btw saw Sully recently. 7/10, not a lot to say about it.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    Watched ARQ on netflix - an interesting slightly original twist on the time-loop sci-fi genre 

10 Cloverfield Lane - pretty good/odd

X-Men Apocalypse - watched on a flight, got half way through and chose something else :-/ 

Captain America Civil War - pretty good as these super hero things go - some impressive battle scenes
    Red ones are better.