What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516

A trick me and my regular cinema going friends have picked up on is going in about 25 mins after the programme has started: we end up catching the last bit of a trailer, or that bit that shows you which production companies are involved in the film. Maybe trailer dodging is an art in itself.

Except then you get a shit seat and have to clamber over bags and wade through piles of spilled popcorn, stinky greasy nachos and ketchup-smeared hot dog boxes.  In the dark.

Unless, of course, it's designated seating and you've pre-booked a nice spot on the aisle.  Even then there's a fair chance your seat will be occupied by some random fat bloke who has to be persuaded to fuck off elsewhere.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The cinemas around here are rarely packed like that. Usually around 10 to 20 people and thats it. The only recent time I can remember being in a packed cinema was for the force awakens.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    edited November 2016
    Suicide Squad. 

Absolute shite. Will Smith & Margot Robbie are good but no amount of effort can save such a meh plot combined with terrible pacing and god-awful direction.

Worse than Ghostbusters.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    I watched Dead Man's Shoes. I found it simple but amazing. A lad devotes himself to getting even with a couple of crooks that used to gang up against his brother.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The cinemas around here are rarely packed like that. Usually around 10 to 20 people and thats it. The only recent time I can remember being in a packed cinema was for the force awakens.

Fair point.  My cinema-going nowadays is pretty much concentrated into FrightFest and the London Film Festival, where all the screenings are pretty much full.

But I did go to see Don't Breathe last month and I was the only one there.

• Chinatown - 10/10

A really enjoyable film noir style film.  Jack Nicholson is really great in this film.  There is a lot going on, but no in a confused Warcraft way.

If you like the old detective films, film noir, or just great films watch this and treat yo' self.
  • Android, also known as Uncanny on Now TV, similar to Ex Machina but much better imo.
    Just under 90 minutes but manages to develop the three characters without feeling rushed. Really enjoyed it. 

• Goodfellas - 10/10

I had forgotten how great this film is.  First of all it is a brilliant example of Robert De Niro's acting skill, it may be worth watching for that alone.  Secondly, weighing in at nearly 2½ hours it does not feel like it drags. I've had a few moments during recent releases where I've been looking at the watch wondering when things are going to wrap up: this is not one of those films. It is a cinematic shark, it just keeps moving.

Even if you are not into biopics you may still find a lot of enjoyment in this film.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Sleepers.

De Niro, Brad Pitt, Kevin Bacon, Minnie Driver, Jason Patric. A bunch of boys from NY get sent to a borstal and suffer horrible abuse. They get their revenge years later. I'd never heard of it before but it's rather good. 8/10. 
  • boogieman said:
    Sleepers.

De Niro, Brad Pitt, Kevin Bacon, Minnie Driver, Jason Patric. A bunch of boys from NY get sent to a borstal and suffer horrible abuse. They get their revenge years later. I'd never heard of it before but it's rather good. 8/10. 
    I remember watching that years ago... Very good movie with great cast! Really liked it although it is quite sad.
    boogieman said:
    Sleepers.

I saw the film and read the book.  Both quite good, but I don't believe the story is as true as it's supposed to be.
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    Took in Blitz. Paddy Considine again (I'd just watched Dead Man's shoes). Crime. Suspense. Nice one for a Sunday. Agan, M&M right at hand, or crisps and beer. A must. Had a nice time.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Philly_Q said:
    boogieman said:
    Sleepers.

I saw the film and read the book.  Both quite good, but I don't believe the story is as true as it's supposed to be.

The film credits do say the police have no record of the revenge crime and there's no record of the trial either, even though the author insists it's all true. I took from that info that it was just a good story.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    @Handsome_Chris you're rocking some classics recently. Is this to avoid reviewing anything that could be described with the R word?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    Watched The Drop today with Tom Hardy
    good gritty, surprising film
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Revenant. Brilliant cinematography but I really did not enjoy it. The bit where he gets mugged by Winnie the Pooh was brilliantly awful but it bored me to tears generally.
    Just watching a man crawl for a very long film, I really didn't care what happened to any of them.
    5.558/10.
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited December 2016
    ennspek said:

Just watching a man crawl for a very long film...
    I saw Revenant at the cinema and I remember thinking that while it wasn't a bad film it could have done with being a bit shorter.  I felt afterwards that Leonardo DiCaprio had been acting his face off at me for three hours. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    ennspek said:
    Revenant. Brilliant cinematography but I really did not enjoy it. The bit where he gets mugged by Winnie the Pooh was brilliantly awful but it bored me to tears generally.
    Just watching a man crawl for a very long film, I really didn't care what happened to any of them.
    5.558/10.
    Agreed. Far too long. Bit disappointed that the bear didnt finish the job...
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Just watched Your Name, Japanese anime movie. Well worth watching on the big screen if you get the chance, visually beautiful. The storyline got slightly confusing in the middle but was always engaging. Nobody can touch the Japanese for animated storytelling.
  • HAL9000 said:
    ennspek said:
    5.558/10.
    Agreed. Far too long. Bit disappointed that the bear didnt finish the job...

For you guys there are James Bond and Bourne films...shooting, running and such

;-)