Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Introducing Smorg ***update***

What's Hot
dindudedindude Frets: 8537
edited October 2014 in Made in the UK
Hi All.......

So I've been slightly obsessed with building my own pedalboards for the last few years and must have done around 6 iterations. I got the last one (built around 6 months ago) to a point where a few guitar friends asked me to make them one, but i still had some issues to resolve, mostly around appropriate materials to use and getting the build and design tight.

Well finally you could call this the Production Prototype........

Specs: 12mm birch ply, hard wearing ABS top and bottom, aluminium trim all round, bolt-through solid steel handle, 38mm rubber cabinet feet. 'Tis a solid yet elegant beast I tell thee.

Smorg has been my working title so that's what I've gone with for now!

Here it is with a small "low riser" suitable for a landscape double pedal. Currently working on various risers, including full length "high risers" that will fit a power supply underneath.

So now the request for Guinea Pigs:

In the next few weeks I'm making two of these for friends and I'm going to make up two more whilst I'm at it and offer them to the wider world. This is to gain feedback whilst I continue to work on risers, case solutions etc.

They will be offered at less than they cost me to make, and a lot less than what I would have to finally sell them for. One is approx. 450mm x 300mm, the other approx. 600mm x 370mm.

I'll charge £25 posted for the smaller one and £30 posted for the larger one. Reason for the charge is really to capture people with a little commitment who do actually want a pedalboard rather than just a freebie, and all I ask for in return is that you answer some feedback questions that I'll send you, and you update on thoughts in a few weeks / months. Would much prefer someone who is active, I.e. in a rehearsing / gigging band rather than a home only player, but other than that it's first come, first served.

You will also need a small degree of patience as this is just weekend fun for me, but funds would not be expected until boards are complete.

PM me if you are interested!

Cheers all.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
    These look quality, nice job!

"Nobody is really researching robot jokes"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow they look awesome! Id be up for giving feedback and have a band but am mostly home based at the mo so I don't want to take away from you R&D stuff.

How much are you thinking of selling them for? as Im quite interested for a home one.
    Old Is Gold
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26551
    Yeah, I'll play - happily go for the smaller version (can just about fit my pedals on there). I gig 4 or 5 times a month and we're (hopefully) touring early next year. Does that work for you?
    <space for hire>
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    As others have said. I'm not gigging so won't take up the r&d ones but would def be interested when you produce some more
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    I could be interested but can I check the obvious - this is just the board and would need a matching case for it to fit into as well?
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Thanks for the responses:

@digitalscream consider the small one yours.

@John_P yes just the board at the moment. I'm in the process of sorting the case situation out so for those first few Guinea Pigs, I will offer a good deal on a matching case once available, just be a little patient.

So actual sale price, if we look at the smaller board, I'm targeting £49 for the small board on its own, Or around £59 including Velcro / cable ties etc.

The case isn't finalised but it will be a hard, probably semi-flight, case and add another £60 - £70. 

So all in, bank on £129 for the small and maybe £149 for the larger one. Which is pretty competitive with a hard case pedaltrain equivalent, but made here in the good old UK! Postage would be on top.

What's people's thoughts on these price points?

Looking at making two other standard sizes as well. It's also a very scalable build so could do custom sizes.

Thanks for the interest, much appreciated.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26871
    Looking good! 

I'm assuming the full title is the "Smorg-GAS-board"? :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ha, rumbled, that's exactly how Smorg came about!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26871
    Awesome :D
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Looks great!
    Oak & Bespoke Guitar Stands & Racks made in Shropshire, England.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    monofin;314771" said:
    As others have said. I'm not gigging so won't take up the r&d ones but would def be interested when you produce some more
    Yep me too, they look great for the price but as I'm not gigging currently either I'll probably just buy one if that's alright ?
    At those prices you can def colour me interested - probably the smaller size. Any idea when you're making some or are you waiting for guinea pig feedback first?
    The plan is to get the Guinea Pig boards out within the next few weeks and get some initial feedback. The big Guinea Pig board could still be up for grabs btw, just waiting to hear back from @John_P ;

Pretty soon after that I will be looking at making some up for proper sale and will be able to offer some risers by then and will be a lot closer to having the case solution too.

If anything the initial interest here has spurred me on, so thanks for that, I better get a move on then!
    Just looked at the sizes again and it's the big one I'd need (similar to my PT2) so if you struggle for real live guinea pigs drop me a line
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    Sorry I'd need a case to be able to use it but it was the smaller board i was interested in so if you have a taker for the big one let them have it...
    Thanks John_P and no worries.

So just to update, both Guinea Pig boards are now spoken for, will get to work on them.

Watch this space for actual "production" boards following these!
    Found some time for a bit of 'board building this weekend.

Big Guinea Pig board pretty much ready to go.

Here it is with the smaller Guinea Pig board which is well on its way to completion too.

• AdjiAdji Frets: 142
    tFB Trader
    They look fantastic man! If they were flight-cased they would sell like hotcakes I reckon! (What the hell are hotcakes anyway?).

Pricing sounds pretty right to me, how much would the largest one just above this post in a case run you?

@Adji thanks for the kind comments, still seeking the final solution with case but aiming for the larger one to come it around £149 - £159 including hard case.
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 142
    tFB Trader
    dindude said:
    @Adji thanks for the kind comments, still seeking the final solution with case but aiming for the larger one to come it around £149 - £159 including hard case.
    That seems very fair, these look legit.