Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Introducing Smorg ***update***

What's Hot

Comments

• They look really nice @dindude

Best of luck with this!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Great work D and they look pro! All the best with those
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    edited August 2014
    Both Guinea Pig boards are out there in the real world now, here's the large one courtesy of @GIJoe ;

Thanks to GIJoe and @Digitalscream for their Guinea Pig duties, both a pleasure to deal with and some great feedback coming through which is pleasing:)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just for completeness, here's its smaller brother:

<space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I'd have one of them if you could get it a bit thinner and more angled like a Pedaltrain is. I have a Diago Showman and it's a flat profile, and it's a bit annoying to reach some of the rear pedals because of it.
  • Drew_fx said:
    I'd have one of them if you could get it a bit thinner and more angled like a Pedaltrain is. I have a Diago Showman and it's a flat profile, and it's a bit annoying to reach some of the rear pedals because of it.
    They're only about 15mm thick at the sides :)

However, I've been thinking the same thing - maybe have an option for the rear feet to be raised (and angled a bit)? Shouldn't be hard to do with an C-shaped bit of aluminium...

<space for hire>
    As has been said, they are quite thin. I'm not a fan of angled boards personally, just because they only place the footswitch of a second tier pedal just above the knobs of a first tier pedal, so still not a great solution for me.

My solution will be to offer risers, here's a prototype of a 300mm length "low-riser" which sits about an inch of the board. There will also be some "high-risers" that will give about 45mm clearance that will be suitable for power supplies to fit underneath.

http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n505/dindude/ab694f3574f858498fd5a5078dca9f06_zpsfd82b531.jpg

What the thoughts on this?

Cheers
    And here it is on a populated small board. Will leave enough room or either a power supply or a wah.

http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n505/dindude/35d23300ebbf3ba067d22e72835a9874_zps6300ff0e.jpg

• Yes, and can I have one please? :)

The slightly annoying part is that I only need about 30mm clearance...by the looks of it, that one up there ^^ is going to be a couple of mm too low :(
    <space for hire>
    The main thing for me is to be able to have the pedals at the front as low to the floor as possible, so I can rest my heel on the floor and tap tempos and make changes without hovering my foot in the air. Even with my Diago this can be a bit of a problem.
    Yeah, totally get that, these are pretty low profile, including rubber feet, it presents the pedal platform at 35mm above the floor.
  • Drew_fx said:
    The main thing for me is to be able to have the pedals at the front as low to the floor as possible, so I can rest my heel on the floor and tap tempos and make changes without hovering my foot in the air. Even with my Diago this can be a bit of a problem.
    You probably won't find a pedalboard thinner than this, so attack the problem at the heel end of the foot instead of the toe end. Why not just put a bit of MDF in front of your pedalboard to raise the "floor" a bit? 
    <space for hire>
    dindude said:
    Yeah, totally get that, these are pretty low profile, including rubber feet, it presents the pedal platform at 35mm above the floor.
    I'm sure it's fine, I'm just being anal. Probably wont move from my Diago unless it's to something much better. Also I tend to screw my pedals down (some of them!) and so would hate to ruin one of your nice boards!! :D

Drew_fx said:
    You probably won't find a pedalboard thinner than this, so attack the problem at the heel end of the foot instead of the toe end. Why not just put a bit of MDF in front of your pedalboard to raise the "floor" a bit? 
    Believe it or not, I actually had not thought of this. Hmmm... interesting.
    digitalscream;339071" said:
    Yes, and can I have one please? :)

The slightly annoying part is that I only need about 30mm clearance...by the looks of it, that one up there ^^ is going to be a couple of mm too low :(
    Sounds like I need a middle-riser!

I'll PM you this evening when home from work.

edited October 2014
    So the Guinea Pig boards have been out in the wild for a couple of months and feedback has been very good. The only thing I'm looking at changing is the handle to make it more user friendly when using a riser.

@digitalscream has been particularly great for bouncing ideas around.

I have come to the conclusion that this project is going to be a slow burner though, I'm stupid busy at work right now so time to make boards is rare at the moment, and I need to sort my workshop (aka big shed) space, I'm a little too reliant on the Garden at the moment for the winter months!

Finding a decent hardcase at a half decent cost has been troublesome so I'm going with a soft case solution, a padded satchel bag (with an internal pocket) like this: excuse the crappy iPad pics.

I have a snazzy website that is around 70% complete, but to be honest, until I can give the time to it I won't be launching, I will just make a few boards and risers when I can and sell on to those interested. So if anyone on here is interested and has a little patience then PM me.

And finaly for a bit of fun, from the unofficial Smorg Custom Shop, I did manage to finally get near to completing this one today, bar a bit of final finishing.

One to leave a bit of space around the pedals for once I reackon.

Cheers

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • As there's no room for a ps under these, could a bracket be fabbed for attaching to the rear profile? Cioks make some long / flat supplies that could work in that location.
  • As there's no room for a ps under these, could a bracket be fabbed for attaching to the rear profile? Cioks make some long / flat supplies that could work in that location.
    Just use the shelf/riser instead:

<space for hire>
    ^^^^^ yeah, the risers I make alongside the boards have enough clearance for all the well known power supplies.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    dindude said:
    ^^^^^ yeah, the risers I make alongside the boards have enough clearance for all the well known power supplies.
    This might be a Bloody Silly Question, but...

Does the board still fit in the case/bag with a populated riser in place?
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    Yup, the bag is purpose made and has enough room for the riser with pedals on top.