Archtops, pure or mostly acoustic

What's Hot

Comments

• @GuyBoden I guess I've implied confusion of the specs there. I have in fact been gassing for a 175 for some time, then, realising I'd never raise the money, considered the Vintage lookalike plus a few others (but not the Loar as I was not aware of it), then when this thread started, wondered about acoustic archtops, found the Loar site ...etc you know the rest.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 733
    edited August 2014
    @GuyBoden I guess I've implied confusion of the specs there. I have in fact been gassing for a 175 for some time, then, realising I'd never raise the money, considered the Vintage lookalike plus a few others (but not the Loar as I was not aware of it), then when this thread started, wondered about acoustic archtops, found the Loar site ...etc you know the rest.
    1958 Gibson catalog prices.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
    edited August 2014
    I've got a couple of (not cheap) Gretsch archtops - one has a Fishman Archtop Pickup in the bridge and has a stunning acoustic (plugged in) sound, the other is much more like a Jazz guitar with a solid spruce top, laminated maple back and sides - nice jazzy sound through an electric amp. However, neither is much cop acoustically - they both seem to be designed for plugged in. I love them but for acoustic playing I stick to flat tops.

• GuyBoden said:
    @GuyBoden I guess I've implied confusion of the specs there. I have in fact been gassing for a 175 for some time, then, realising I'd never raise the money, considered the Vintage lookalike plus a few others (but not the Loar as I was not aware of it), then when this thread started, wondered about acoustic archtops, found the Loar site ...etc you know the rest.
    1958 Gibson catalog prices.
    Oh for  time machine ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had been thinking of trading my PRS hollowbody for a nice archtop, it seems like a bit of a minefield to find the "right" one.

Was thinking the Gibson Super 400 CES was a beautiful guitar and then I saw the price (coupled as ever with a whole bunch of people saying the "new" ones are over priced rubbish).

Still, by the time I can afford one my jazz skills may have improved to the point where I could do something like that justice....
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Need to differentiate between solid wood and carved.  A lot of the cheaper ones are steam pressed solid wood, rather than hand carved and properly braced to project sound.

Not sure why 'Mags put the picture of Robert Bennedetto's builder's pine archtop up ... it's a one-off he made to prove a point about "tonewood" being bunkum. It was never sold AFAIK.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • The Bennedetto seems to be up for sale on eBay at the moment - for about nine grand.

And I thought the gibsons were pricey lol
    The Bennedetto seems to be up for sale on eBay at the moment - for about nine grand.

It is totally unique ... I stand corrected, I never knew he sold it or gave it away. 

Feedback
  • @Jalapeno I don't really know much about Benedetto, just been having a look at the site this afternoon - certainly didn't know the history of the "scrap wood" guitar.

A bit more searching seems to reveal the same seller has tried to shift it a few times over the last couple of years, who knows...

Looking at the prices for other instruments from Benedetto, it could almost be considered cheap!

I would love a guitar of this class, but think I've got some saving, practicing and research to do before going down this road!!
    A basic Benedetto starts at about $4500, sometimes less - keep an eye on his Marketplace too (though more often they are $20k+ one off beauties).  The "cheaper" ones are possibly "School of", rather than built by his Bobness.

There was a one-off Tal Farlow 175-a-like for $3k a few years ago I kicked myself for not getting.

Feedback
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    B-)
  • There's a 30's Harmony on Ebay at the moment (nothing to do with me). I had the pleasure of setting up and playing a similar guitar a few years back - it was gorgeous and had such a great vibe about it. Tried to buy it but the saxophonist who had picked it up in a junk shop wasn't parting with it!
  • RowlandwithaWRowlandwithaW Frets: 8
    edited June 2015
    'If you're jonesing, then I'm your man, clearly' , said Mr Jones of Stockport. I have a very nice Gretsch Synchromatic . It's beautiful guitar, and I would disagree with Down by the river, as I think it sounds great acoustically--- if you want to sound like Marty Grosz and Freddie Green - arch tops like this were designed for this purpose, flat tops for different reason. I have a Taylor which I love but these guitars are so different.

I also have for sale a Campellone Deluxe Archtop, which has a pick up fitted.

UPDATE

Apparently I've already posted the Gretsch Synchromatic in Classified
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    edited June 2015
    There's Godin 5th avenue, Gretsch New Yorker, Loar, Eastman, there's loads.

I've owned an Eastman arch top and they are not worth the money, they use nice wood but that doesn't necessarily make a nice sounding guitar. The Gretsch New Yorker is very thin sounding and trebly. I've heard good things about Godin, but to be honest you're always going to get a better acoustic sound out of a nice small bodied OM or 000 type guitar than an arch top. A lot of the famous Jazz guitarists when they are not plugging in use proper acoustics or nylon string guitars. 
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    but to be honest you're always going to get a better acoustic sound out of a nice small bodied OM or 000 type guitar than an arch top. A lot of the famous Jazz guitarists when they are not plugging in use proper acoustics or nylon string guitars. 
    Such as? Which jazzers?
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    edited June 2015
    but to be honest you're always going to get a better acoustic sound out of a nice small bodied OM or 000 type guitar than an arch top. A lot of the famous Jazz guitarists when they are not plugging in use proper acoustics or nylon string guitars. 
    Such as? Which jazzers?
    Pat Metheny - Linda Manzer guitars, Kenny Burrell steel string and nylon string acoustics, John Scofield uses normal acoustics, Django Rheinhardt, Charley Bird, John McLaughlin that's just off the top of my head.

Cue Gratuitous Kenny link :>

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    Thanks @BigLicks67 !

This relieves my archtop GAS tremendously. What a beauty! - http://www.manzer.com/limited/
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1367
    edited June 2015
    Make your own!  My first attempt at making a guitar - did this under Mark Bailey's guidance.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Such as? Which jazzers?
    Pat Metheny - Linda Manzer guitars, Kenny Burrell steel string and nylon string acoustics, John Scofield uses normal acoustics, Django Rheinhardt, Charley Bird, John McLaughlin that's just off the top of my head.

Cue Gratuitous Kenny link :>

George Benson - unfortunately.

Sounds bleedin awful.