Aldi routers - a quick heads up

What's Hot
Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3007
edited September 2013 in Making & Modding
Just a quick heads up that Aldi are doing their Sunday special offer today 08:09/13. They are selling routers for £25, router tables for £30 & bit sets for £6.

Now I know they are probably not the last word in quality but all the Workzone tools that I have had from Aldi so far have been perfectly satisfactory for the job in hand.

It seems that every third customer (a middle aged bloke) was walking out with a router table tucked under his arm. Myself included.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3007
    edited September 2013
    This post is left intentionally blank.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is a router table? 

I use a router, but pretty much just with a workbench thingi.
  • I have a similar cheapo "Clarke" one from Machine Mart. Does a fine job of routing pickguards and so on but I wouldn't use it for anything heavier.
  • Bought one this morning, just finished routing the horn area of my sons guitar. Worked just fine
  • axisus;29977" said:
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is a router table? 

I use a router, but pretty much just with a workbench thingi.
    It's a table where you mount the router underneath with the bit facing up. It has guides, a fence & other guidance aides to let you cut far more accurately than freehand. A handy bit of kit.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Once again, forgive my ignorance .... how do you see what you are doing if it is all upside down??

I think I have a lot to learn with routing!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited September 2013
    axisus said:
    Once again, forgive my ignorance .... how do you see what you are doing if it is all upside down??

I think I have a lot to learn with routing!
    It is safer to route with a table, generally speaking.
    Moving the wood over the cutter gives you more control than the other way around- because the table holds the router relatively still.
    When it is handheld I find it harder to control.

There are situations where a plunge router is preferred to a table, and vice versa- it largely depends on the task.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    what size collete do these have?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    octatonic said:
    It is safer to route with a table, generally speaking.
    I do love my router table, but I'd think it's a lot more dangerous than a handheld, simply because it's bolted in place and can thus exert a much higher force on the workpiece.

Best, I s'pose, just to treat either with appropriate respect (I do not mean to suggest that you're suggesting anything other than that!).
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frankus, they come with 1/4", 6.3mm and one other; might be 8mm can check if you need to know
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    s'okay... I've got a 1/4" already - the desk would be great but surplus to current requirements.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?