This term 'masterbuilt' is somewhat of a nisnomer.

What's Hot
LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
Aren't all Fenders CNCd? It's not like any guitar made at the Custom Shop is actually hand built. Hand finished, perhaps?

The whole masterbuilt/teambuilt thing is a crock of stinking bullsh*t. 
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    edited August 2014
    I think "master assembled" would be more accurate.  

;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    They're still brilliant instruments though
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Loobs said:
    Aren't all Fenders CNCd? It's not like any guitar made at the Custom Shop is actually hand built. Hand finished, perhaps?

The whole masterbuilt/teambuilt thing is a crock of stinking bullsh*t. 
    I think the neck and body are CNC'd then all the contouring and neck profiling is done by hand. 
    I think they also offer specific weights and all kinds of stuff so its not as generic as a US standard build etc.
    They are meant to tone match woods etc.
    I have no issue with a machine doing the routes. A machine doesn't make mistakes. 

It is a gimmick though
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    I agree that the *concept* behind it is somewhat backwards, given that the whole point of the Fender designs is that they were intended to be mass-produced by factory workers and not luthiers - but the difference is in the assembly, including the choice of the components. That's quite a labour-intensive and skilled job, and every one I've played has been a better instrument than the standard models. I'm not convinced there is a worthwhile difference between 'Team Built' and 'Master Built' though. If anything I think a guitar built by a team of experts, each concentrating on the area they're best at, is likely to end up better than one built by one person, assuming the choice of components is the same.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I still find it strange that we pay top luthiers thousands to make copies of guitars that were made by unskilled labour ?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    I still find it strange that we pay top luthiers thousands to make copies of guitars that were made by unskilled labour ?
    Not really. We pay them thousands to consistently duplicate the results that occurred randomly with the guitars built by factory workers - not unskilled, in fact there was still a fair amount of hand work, just not to luthier standards. Not all the old guitars were great by any means. Nor are all the modern production-line ones - actually not all the Custom Shop ones are *great* either, but they're at least consistently good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

It's a certain Master Bates of Corona, California who switches on the CNC machine .... Hence ....

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134
    edited August 2014
    Quite a few of the master-builders actually cut the necks and bodies themselves*. It depends on what you order though, all you're paying for is the commission of one particular builder to appropriately select the timbers to meet your specs, and then build, finish, and setup the guitar to the best of their abilities. So what if a CNC is used as part of that? It's hardly like they come off of the mill ready to play?!

Go and moan about the weather or something, this argument has been done to death. ;)

*for anything that's remotely one-off worthy, it's not cost or time-effective to draw up a new program.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Why post in the thread then? 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    My Chicken Sarni was masterbuilt by someone at Tesco's. No mass produced grub for me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    'Masterbuilt' just means that they can whack an even higher premium on. they realised that 'custom shop' wasn't earning them enough extra money for nothing.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    My opinion is: I have no idea.

But I will wager that the effort put into the "difference" (even if we are, in truth,  better off picking the best guitar in the shop out of 10 team built versions) is more than the effort put into "Beano" to make it different from a pre 2013 R0 Historic.

• Loobs said:
    Why post in the thread then? 
    Boredom ;)
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Can't believe the new price for a Masterbuilt Fender these days - 5 grand!
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    I've only owned one custom shop Fender. It wasn't master built, but it was incredibly good.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    You could have the builder cut the tree down with an axe and drag it from the factory to the forrest rather than use a truck, but it wouldn't make any difference to the end result. 
  • You could have the builder cut the tree down with an axe and drag it from the factory to the forrest rather than use a truck, but it wouldn't make any difference to the end result. 
    Its only masterbuilt if the builder has planted the tree that he cuts down!
    ;)
    Old Is Gold
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    You could have the builder cut the tree down with an axe and drag it from the factory to the forrest rather than use a truck, but it wouldn't make any difference to the end result. 
    Its only masterbuilt if the builder has planted the tree that he cuts down!
    ;)
    I believe he's also expected to have personally impregnated the mummy tree.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    edited August 2014
    Having watched this, I have to admit I can't see what is so special - I mean I'm sure they are very nice, but still...

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    I managed about 50 seconds of that video.

The music is fucking awful.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."