Bizarre Fact of the Day

What's Hot

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited August 2014

Nick Faldo's caddy, Fanny, married the golfer V.J.Singh. Therefore, he made her Fanny Singh!

Ghandi's wife was called Goosey Goosey.

On a more serious note, until a visit to the wonderful York last week, I didn't know that the phrase "Daylight Robbery" came about as a result/response to Window Tax.

Can you cure pins and needles with acupuncture?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Coconuts kill more people than sharks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    I never knew a coconut could kill a shark.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    We're unlikely to get bitten by a barracuda on hols next year, even though they swim in really close to the shore (as I saw last time when in a blind fucking panic to get swiftly out of the water....), and even though they look like they should be taking yer limbs of with them massive choppers, they're quite canny if you leave them the fuck alone. The 6 year old boy made me check.

Even less likely to be eaten by a great white, although they boot around a mere 90 miles away. The 6 year old boy made me check. I decided not to mention the other sharks. And said fuck all about the coconuts. I did tell him he'd be 7 by then, so it'd all be alright. Sod's Law he'll irritate something waterbourne with teeth and I'll be writing a 'Bitten on Holiday' thread next July.  
    :x
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MPHMPH Frets: 56
    edited August 2014
    I'm glad I play Guitar then ;-)

Ok, here we go. the last execution in France using the Guillotine, was in September 1977.

:-O
    To be fair though, it was a magic trick gone wrong.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    I share a birthday with King Edward VIII, Alan Turing, Stuart Sutcliffe, KT Tunstall and Maggie Philbin - among others who I found when I looked it up, including Adam Faith, Colin Montgomerie and Zinedine Zidane.
    I share a birthday with Boris Johnson & Salman Rushdie.  We'll call that 1-0 to me...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited August 2014

I am one of quadruplets and as a result share my birthday with two siblings.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    edited August 2014
    The national animal of Scotland is the Unicorn.
    ^
    ^
    ^
    *** BELIEVE OR NOT, THIS IS ACTUALLY TRUE ***
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    Most chuck norris facts are in fact fiction
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Emp has a clean driving licence.

• vizviz Frets: 10690
    randomhandclaps said:

am I missing something here? The mathematics don't seem to work.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    My sister in law ( wife's sister) has two children. Both of them were born on her birthday ( several years apart).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    My sister in law ( wife's sister) has two children. Both of them were born on her birthday ( several years apart).

THAT, is awesome planning.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3068
    EricTheWeary;322149" said:
    Crazy - what are the chances even if you tried?

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
    Clint Eastwood is not Stan Laurels son
    tae be or not tae be
    I share my day of birth (although not year) with Shakira, David Jason, Christie Brinkley, Dog The Bounty Hunter, James Joyce, Christine Bleakley, Graham Nash (thank you...), Frank Lloyd, and some young odd looking cnt named Martin Spanjers.

On my actual day of birth, Natalie Barney, a lesbian pioneer apparently, shuffled off her mortal coil, and 25,000 Irish folk sauntered into Merrion Square, and promptly burned down the UK Embassy. I was NOT there.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    mudslide73;322160" said:
    [quote="EricTheWeary;322149"]My sister in law ( wife's sister) has two children. Both of them were born on her birthday ( several years apart).
    Crazy - what are the chances even if you tried?

[/quote]

I guess someone could work out the statistical chances of 3 out of 4 people in the same household having the same birthday but, yes, even if you tried to plan for it there are so many variables and even a few hours out would wreck it.

These are much less impressive family coincidences but feature more of me:

At primary school one of my best friends was Roger. With his family he moved away from the area when we were 11. Ten years later I started dating a young woman called Dawn from Kettering who I had met on holiday. One of her best friends at secondary school was a boy called Roger. I got to meet him. Yes, it was Roger my friend from Primary who I had not seen for a decade. In case anyone was thinking it no, Dawn was not Roger following a sex change.

I met MrsTheWeary through a dating agency ie not through anyone we knew . That's slightly odd in itself possibly. Anyway, at some point our rellies met. Turned out our sisters knew each other and quite well - they had done their nursing training together. Obviously my sister in law being big on being in strange coincidences!

Then I got married, had kids and nothing interesting ever happened again... :o3
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3068
    jd0272;322169" said:
    I share my day of birth (although not year) with Shakira, David Jason, Christie Brinkley, Dog The Bounty Hunter, James Joyce, Christine Bleakley, Graham Nash (thank you...), Frank Lloyd, and some young odd looking cnt named Martin Spanjers.

On my actual day of birth, Natalie Barney, a lesbian pioneer apparently, shuffled off her mortal coil, and 25,000 Irish folk sauntered into Merrion Square, and promptly burned down the UK Embassy. I was NOT there.
    and me. Your username (and mine) indicates I was born on your first birthday.

Quite cool that Jim Wagner of WCR pickups also shares a b'day with us. (have a pair of his Darkbursts in my lp).
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    If everybody in the world stood on eachothers shoulders (assuming no births or deaths) it would be very tall.
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    viz said:
    randomhandclaps said:

am I missing something here? The mathematics don't seem to work.
    I've checked, with my known-to-be-a-bit-crap maths and that adds up to me.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)