Can you beat 3 gigs in 23 hours?

What's Hot
bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1894

Well you could say it was a busy and diverse weekend.

Friday 00:00 - 01:00: Kaya Festival in Bangor. Badly organised but with a stellar PA. You can always rely on "reggae people" to massively over-spec the sound system. Six 18" subs for a room that held a few hundred people! Crowd very much up for dancing right from tune #1. Gilles Peterson was on after us and we warmed the crown up nicely for him, but he was an hour late, daft bugger. :/

Saturday 16:00 - 16:45: Llangollen Faery Festival. Yes, people dressed as fairies. Outside, genteel.

Saturday 19:00 - 22:30: Private party with Lord of the Rings theme. Prosthetic elf ears were deployed. Got candle wax on my shirt and nice ebony fretboard, oops! Children bouncing on trampolines in time to the music, a first for me.

All this on acoustic guitar too. Burt's Bees Hand Salve got me through the day. Need to get an endorsement from them. :)

So who has had a more manic gigging weekend than that?

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nice shout and good fun I expect.

So not the weekend just gone but the one befor it load trucks and rig at Farmfest Bruton by midday friday musc starts at 2 ends at 12 about 8 acts then sleep do it all again the following day from 12 to 12. After last band load trucks drive down to New Forest arrive at venue promssed sleepng accomodation not there so bunked down in staff canteen rigged show music at 2 till 830 packed dowm loaded out home by midnight Pics here 

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23955
    Yes. 3 gigs in 12 hours.

Admittedly they were magic gigs at a selection of kids parties, but still gigs! :D

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    Based on those gigs I am really curious as to what style you play :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Yes. 3 gigs in 12 hours.

Admittedly they were magic gigs at a selection of kids parties, but still gigs! :D

Children's parties definitely count!

@PolarityMan, we are acoustic guitar, double bass, and percussion (no vocals), and we play rhythmic glam gypsy jazz fusion, or something. Basically very energetic music for drunken and chemically impaired people to dance to. :)

• I've done 2 gigs in a day multiple times, but the most I've done in a weekend is 5 gigs in 2 days as a percussionist in a samba band.  It was knackering because both Saturday and Sunday started with 1hr long parades.  The other 3 gigs were static ones, one in the city centre after the Saturday parade was done, one private party on Sunday, but the highlight was playing a stage at Parklife Festival after the city centre gig on Saturday.  The organisers had to have an hour of unamplified music to allow for a chruch service so naturally they booked a 20+ piece samba band who'd commissioned a 12+ piece brass band to play melodies along to the rhythms for the day.  Superb fun, but knackering.

I do think the FOH guys are going to win this thread though if we're counting hours worked, by virtue of it being their equivalent of a 9-5 job!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357

Sat night, Sunday afternoon and Sunday night is quite common for me. This week I'm gigging 6 times from Thurs to Monday night. That's in  3 different bands, a Lizzy tribute and 2 rock bands. All good fun but only one of those bands is a good earner
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • bluechargeboy said:

So who has had a more manic gigging weekend than that?

Not even James Dean Bradfield and Nicky Wire, I would imagine.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Good to see the work ethic is still alive. Last year I played an all-dayer in Whitchurch, Shropshire, with multiple 45-min sets on various stages, and we busked inbetween, and then played a full pub gig in the evening. About 13 hours of solid playing and the fingers were none too happy, but the players and the band's funds were!
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Yeah I can beat that...

How about a bottle of Leffe, a battenburg cake and Tropic Thunder on DVD?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    There's no need for Battenburg cake. Ever.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

mike_l said:
    you are weird ... and not in a good way ;)
  • mike_l said:
    I agree. Vile stuff.

• I can tell you that at the private party I had a sugar mouse, which I think helped. There was no Battenburg, too posh for that.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    frankus said:

mike_l said:
    you are weird ... and not in a good way ;)

mike_l said:
    I agree. Vile stuff.

Frankus, you're out voted and completely wrong.

Dave on the other hand is completely correct.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

ah well ... more Battenburg for me ;)
  • I love Battenburg cake.
    Done two gigs numerous times in a day, but I played Bass in Seaton Devon with a rockabilly band from 4-7pm on a Sunday evening, then had a pub gig on guitar, with my band in Yeovil Somerset on guitar from 8:30-11. Had to use mrs car with bass and amp and drove to Seaton, whilst the mrs drove my van with PA and my guitars to other gig and we swapped over and she went home. Manic !
  • benvallbenvall Frets: 79
    Only once I did the following

Saturday 10am gig for the opening of Maidstone FC's new stadium. Unfortunately I can't say it was a stadium gig as we were in the car park under a gazebo.

Saturday 3pm acoustic duo gig for a wedding garden party.

Saturday 7pm evening wedding till 11

Sunday 4pm kings hill music festival.

I went back to work on Monday for a rest.
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    Did the same recently as the op. 

Gig Friday night from 9pm - 12pm
    Gig Saturday early evening - 6:45pm - 7.45pm (pack up very quickly as next gig was 25 miles away)
    Gig Saturday night 10:15 pm- 1:15am

Knackering but great fun. The first Saturday gig was a bit flat but the main gig Saturday night was awesome as we all seemed to get a second wind. We did agree afterwards that 3 gigs over 24 odd hours is not a good idea especially as it was a few weeks ago when the weather was really hot so factor in sweating your arse off for all three of those as well........