American cheese

What's Hot
Why is it all shite? Why can't I find anything that isn't processed rubbish? Is it something to do with regulations, or what? Why can't I get a decent cheddar, or some Brie? Anyone know the answer?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27453
    Why is it all shite? Why can't I find anything that isn't processed rubbish?
    I think this is a case of "the clue is in the name".

;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Why is it all shite? Why can't I find anything that isn't processed rubbish? Is it something to do with regulations, or what? Why can't I get a decent cheddar, or some Brie? Anyone know the answer?
    Don't ever try American beer then.........it's like sex in a canoe.........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• vizviz Frets: 10690
    I think this may shed some light on the topic:
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    TTony said:
    Why is it all shite? Why can't I find anything that isn't processed rubbish?
    I think this is a case of "the clue is in the name".

;)

this, basically.

Oddly enough, I know a couple of Sherman's who rave about this brand of mass produced, bland processed shit over thta brand of mass produced bland shit.

Which only goes to show, I guess.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24291
    edited September 2013
    Have you ever had the pleasure of reading your average American recipe ?  As a fairly keen cook, I do browse the web quite a bit for recipes and the absolute shite the yanks put in their food is jaw dropping.  The majority of US recipes I've encountered tend to have tins of soup / packet mixes for other dishes / already processed stuff as ingredients.  They always specify the brand as well !

Besides having freakishly bizarre tastes, they seem to be oblivious to the dangers of saturated and trans-fats and salt - even though the evidence is staring at them on the next table with Dumbo the waddling twat needing a motorised 'cart' to get his gargantuan arse from the table to the lard dispenser pipe.

I quite like watching 'Man vs Food', not because of the challenge aspect but because of the unfathomably alien concoctions some of these places not only make, but sell !!  Whatshisface (the host, who ought to be excluded from everyone's 'dead pool' choice for the next decade), stuffs this slop into his face and bursts into orgasmic exclamations of how this hideous plate of dead animal, salt, fat and chemicals is the most delicious thing to ever pass his lips.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Have you ever had the pleasure of reading your average American recipe ?  As a fairly keen cook, I do browse the web quite a bit for recipes and the absolute shite the yanks put in their food is jaw dropping.  The majority of US recipes I've encountered tend to have tins of soup / packet mixes for other dishes / already processed stuff as ingredients.  They always specify the brand as well !

Besides having freakishly bizarre tastes, they seem to be oblivious to the dangers of saturated and trans-fats and salt - even though the evidence is staring at them on the next table with Dumbo the waddling twat needing a motorised 'cart' to get his gargantuan arse from the table to the lard dispenser pipe.

I quite like watching 'Man vs Food', not because of the challenge aspect but because of the unfathomably alien concoctions some of these places not only make, but sell !!  Whatshisface (the host, who ought to be excluded from everyone's 'dead pool' choice for the next decade), stuffs this slop into his face and bursts into orgasmic exclamations of how this hideous plate of dead animal, salt, fat and chemicals is the most delicious thing to ever pass his lips.

As an American, all I can do is agree with you 100% and hang my head in shame.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Emp_Fab said:
    That looks better than most post-pub kebabs...........
    :-S

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• On that MvF program the only thing I am ever jealous of its their corned beef 
  • And still nobody had answered the original question? Well, I am disappointed!

• WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    Don't they have some regulations about cheeses made from raw milk?

something like anything made from unpasteurised is illegal....  A quick search shows its anything from raw milk that has been matured for less than 60 days.

FDA

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Isn't that the firearm list from COD?
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28125
    Last time I was in Americky I found a few places that sold proper cheese. Let's face it, our standard supermarket block cheese isn't a think of great wonder either. Though almost infinitely better than the US stuff, I'll concede...

When I was in New Zealand, which must have been about 20 years ago now, the supermarkets there seemed to only have two sorts of cheese "melty" and "tasty". Both lived up to their description.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."

Isn't that the firearm list from COD?
    apparently so, and fully automatic weapons are not legal either.  The article investigates the truth  of the graphic but does focus on whether the cheese side of it is true rather than the weapon side
    this thread is making me think of this

and in searching for that clip i am unsurprised to find out how many people have made them for real
  • Listening to a bit of 'The food programme' on radio 4, there appears to be a pretty big upswing in the quality of both American cheese and beer in the artisan food sector right now.

There are some people over there producing really good stuff. It's just not in large quantities and you need to know where to look.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    forget their cheese.................what about their poor excuse for bacon
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    their idea of good bacon is either more or thicker. Quality is rarely something that impinges on their thinking.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    edited September 2013
    Just don't get me started on their guitars.....

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bacon, yup their bacon is shite too.

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited September 2013
    And their fizzy drinks, actually.

I had some Jolly Rancher soda once and it basically tasted like type 2 diabetes in a bottle. So many chemicals I'm surprised I don't have two heads after drinking a single bottle of that shite.

Snapple though, that is wonderful wonderful stuff.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."