I want to get a chibson

What's Hot

Comments

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Stunningly similar to the ALS48. And by "stunningly similar" what I mean is "probably exactly the same." Pickups may be different, but if you're gonna pull them anyway.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 374
    I picked up a Kay Les Paul for under £100, you can usually find them online for that. I could be persuaded to part with mine if you're interested.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11813

That is insane, I've spent more on damn cables ! (plugs rather)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

That is insane, I've spent more on damn cables ! (plugs rather)
    I know! I've had two of their bass guitars, and they're great, especially when you consider the price.
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    The Westfields are decent budget guitars too, probably pick one up on eBay a bit cheaper than that though....
  • t1000t1000 Frets: 93
    edited August 2014
    I must confess, I own a Chibson. Its a P90 Goldtop Les Paul. I paid about £180 for it including the import charges. The bad bits of the guitar are the electrics/pickups were shocking, the body is at least 5 pieces with a veneer on the back to make it look like a one piece, alot of fretbuzz all over and generally poorly set up. The not so bad bits were, the neck is one piece, the finish is generally pretty good overall. The guitar itself is suprisingly very resonant, The body is pretty lightweight so I doubt its proper mahogany. I would have been much better to buy an epiphone/harley benton however this guitar is a learning curve for me, as the pickups were that bad I decided to take them apart and have a look at how they were put together, I then built a pickup winder and had a go at winding my own p90's for this guitar. The home made pickups I built actually sounded fantastic! I rewired the guitar and for the first time ever I did my own fret level. I know if I had brought a epi or even Harley Benton I would have been in two minds to carry out these works, as this is a Chibson and I will never sell it I thought whats the worse that can happen. So if you asked would I buy another Chibson the answer would probably be no, mine has probably cost far more than I could have brought a decent guitar for but I have learnt new skills with it.

Also add a mate of mines nephew has a slash chibson, he asked me if I could fix a dodgy jack socket which I did, god its setup was worse than mine it played like a complete dog but the pickups in it were fantastic it sounded the mutts nutts!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    It sounds like a real lottery. I just watched a chinaguitarsceptic vid and he got one with a one piece body that had a half inch maple cap! I still see the advantage as something that I could really bastardise. I couldn't do that to an old Greco et al!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    t1000 said:
    I must confess, I own a Chibson. Its a P90 Goldtop Les Paul. I paid about £180 for it including the import charges. 

>SNIP>

How much did you pay on charges and when? Did you have to go far to collect it then so??

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • I know it sounds pretty hypcritical of me to say so, but the only justification for me at all for buying Chibson/Chender is to order something that isn't readily available - hence my Chibson Trini Lopez. I could see more of a point if you were after something like one of those LP Customs with a single P90 & Junior specs, or a Gibbons goldtop replica perhaps and couldn't justify £3k+ for the real thing, but not when the existing Epi's, Tokai, Edwards, Vintage etc are all out there for £200+. :\
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831

Fuck Chibson. Save your pennies and get a decent guitar.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Define "decent".
  • Tex MexicoTex Mexico Frets: 1196
    Just wondering if anyone here has an objection in principle to Chibsons, whether it's to do with the copyright infringement, the carbon footprint of shipping over Chinese instruments, the exploitation of Chinese labour or the added downsides of counterfeit items such as dangerous paints and parts that aren't up to code, and production processes that pollute (sometimes illegally, sometimes not)?

I kind of have issues on all of these levels, which is why I wouldn't get a Chibson, added to the issues surrounding the dubious quality of the instruments. And then purely on the quality side there's the fact that these instruments are notoriously patchy as well as unsupported by manufacturer warranty.

For me it's lose-lose and the price point just doesn't justify the risk.

And then you have the fact that you can have a bit of wood with Gibson written on it but that will never make it a real one. For the same reason I wouldn't buy a badged partscaster.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431
    I know it sounds pretty hypcritical of me to say so, but the only justification for me at all for buying Chibson/Chender is to order something that isn't readily available - hence my Chibson Trini Lopez. I could see more of a point if you were after something like one of those LP Customs with a single P90 & Junior specs, or a Gibbons goldtop replica perhaps and couldn't justify £3k+ for the real thing, but not when the existing Epi's, Tokai, Edwards, Vintage etc are all out there for £200+. :\

I think you definitely made the right choice for what you were looking for, you had the skills to correct the flaws and change the bits. For someone who wants a good guitar out of the box I doubt the Chibson way is the most economical if you start adding the pots, pickups, guitar tech fees and so on. You can get such good prices on used gear at the moment I can't see the interest lasting for long.
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431
    Just wondering if anyone here has an objection in principle to Chibsons, whether it's to do with the copyright infringement, the carbon footprint of shipping over Chinese instruments, the exploitation of Chinese labour or the added downsides of counterfeit items such as dangerous paints and parts that aren't up to code, and production processes that pollute (sometimes illegally, sometimes not)?

I kind of have issues on all of these levels, which is why I wouldn't get a Chibson, added to the issues surrounding the dubious quality of the instruments. And then purely on the quality side there's the fact that these instruments are notoriously patchy as well as unsupported by manufacturer warranty.

And then you have the fact that you can have a bit of wood with Gibson written on it but that will never make it a real one. For the same reason I wouldn't buy a badged partscaster.

For me it is the later life of the guitar. Guitarists flip gear all the time and someone down the line will be ripped off. Now if they were ordered with a different logo the objection would immediately go away.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    the exploitation of Chinese labour or the added downsides of counterfeit items such as dangerous paints and parts that aren't up to code, and production processes that pollute (sometimes illegally, sometimes not)?
    I'd never even considered the paints....

Good point.

Great points that I hadn't considered. Worthy of thought

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited August 2014
    Tex Mexico said: And then you have the fact that you can have a bit of wood with Gibson written on it but that will never make it a real one. For the same reason I wouldn't buy a badged partscaster.

Fair points.  Personally I
    would buy a badged partscaster or (quality) copy wth the Gibson name on it, not with a view to fooling anyone but simply because those logos are part of how the guitars are "supposed" to look.

I know you can get those decals saying "Furber Stratoblaster" or whatever, but they're just a bit silly IMO.  And a blank headstock looks like a space on a wall where there used to be a painting hanging.

I wouldn't go so far as putting a Gibson logo on a Burny or something, but if I had, say, a Les Paul copy built, I probably would get the G badge on it.  I know legally that's dodgy, but no-one would ever be seeing me play it in public.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    If I ever have a les Paul copy built for me I'm having the luthiers name on the headstock. There's no way I'd want anyone who played it to think it was a regular gibbo.
    Having knocked up a few partsocasters, I put my own logo on them. It's vaguely Fenderish. Actually I have a pic: