Daft question: how do you weigh a guitar?

What's Hot
4string4string Frets: 33
in Guitar tFB Trader
I would have thought fishing scales would be ideal, but not having any of those to hand... Your tips please on weighing (reasonably accurately) a guitar. Extra points for style :-)
Chief Bottle Washer @ Oil City Pickups.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Get a set of digital scales, weigh yourself, note the weight.  Weigh yourself holding the guitar, subtract what you weigh, and you'll get the weight of the guitar.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Run a bath. Drop the guitar in and see how much the water rises.
    14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2423
    ^ This seems like the obvious answer.

Don't forget to make sure the water gets into all the control cavities.

Next question has to be "will my les paul float?"

Seriously though, a small set of digital kitchen scales will get you a reasonably accurate result, or alternatively hang the guitar by its strap off a set of luggage scales.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited August 2014
    I have one like this.

Make a sling to go round and about your headstock and tuners and place the base cushion from the sofa on floor and weigh your guitar over top - is no need to be held more than a few cms from the floor/cushion...

If you got dickie eyes, you may want someone to take the readings for you...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    That's the weigh (!) I do it.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    strtdv said:
    ^ This seems like the obvious answer.

Don't forget to make sure the water gets into all the control cavities.

Next question has to be "will my les paul float?"

Seriously though, a small set of digital kitchen scales will get you a reasonably accurate result, or alternatively hang the guitar by its strap off a set of luggage scales.
    if it floats its a witch and you burn it
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• DiscoStu said:
    Get a set of digital scales, weigh yourself, note the weight.  Weigh yourself holding the guitar, subtract what you weigh, and you'll get the weight of the guitar.  
    That's the weigh (!) I do it.

Weigh-hey!  >:D<
  • 4string4string Frets: 33
    tFB Trader
    The thought of getting on the bathroom scales with or without a guitar does not hearten me... :-)
    Chief Bottle Washer @ Oil City Pickups.
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Didn't think we'd have to weight long for the cringey jokes to start.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It is just the weigh of the world these days.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 4string said:
    The thought of getting on the bathroom scales with or without a guitar does not hearten me... :-)

Just wear shoes and lots of thick clothes and blame the weight reading on them.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    Insert joke about scales.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    viz said:
    sounds fishy
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    viz;318908" said:
    I tend to only use the penatonic.

Apparently the chromatic's the most accurate....

• viz;318908" said:
    I tend to only use the penatonic.

Apparently the chromatic's the most accurate....

Are you using a Tuna?
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9655
    If it's a Les Paul you can probably get an indication of its mass by seeing how much a beam of light bends around it.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    If you have a case, try stand the case with the guitar inside on a bathroom scales. Then subtract the weight of the empty case.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72237
    Er... I get a set of scales and put the guitar on them. Why make things more complicated?

The tricky bit starts when the guitar is an awkward weight, like 8lb 15.5 oz. Under no circumstances must you admit that it weighs (rounded to) 9lbs - that will kill the value stone dead even if it's the best-sounding '59 Les Paul ever made. The correct weight in these cases is "EIGHT POUNDS
    fifteen ounces" or "about eight and three quarters pounds".

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5000
    edited August 2014
    Buy some flat-topped digital kitchen scales that weigh up to 11lbs/5kgs. They are reasonably cheap, accurate and I've weighed Strats, Teles, Les Pauls and 335s etc very successfully and accurately with them. You just balance the guitar flat with its body on the top of the scales. 

If the scales bottom out then it's probably a Les Paul and all you need to know is that it's uncomfortably heavy and you should probably get rid! 

You can also use luggage scales or fishing 'spring balance' scales successfully. Bathroom scales can be unreliable in my experience as they're designed to weigh several stones in weight (10s of kgs for the youngsters) rather than 5-10lbs.

Edit: no way is this a daft question, it's probably the most sensible question on here!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    Borrow a lorry, take it to nearest weigh bridge....