Hercules Wall Hangers

What's Hot
Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2349
edited August 2014 in Guitar
Hey everyone,

Are Hercules (guitar) wall hangers any good? Are they safe? I'd be fitting it to a cement supporting wall (which I'm assuming is ok).

I'm looking at http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/GSP38WB.html , http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/GSP39WB.html and http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/GSP40WB.html (that one seems to let you put the guitar at an angle, but that makes it sit out pretty far from the wall), if anyone knows if there any of those is best (or if there's any real difference). Obviously if you think there are better options from other manufacturers, please feel free to suggest them.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    I just put one up in my lounge and it seems pretty good. 

Mine is the 38.

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I've always fancied them, but it took me 3 years to get the curtain rails to stay up in the living room (and a tub of P38 car filler) so I've always been a bit wary...

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11572
    tFB Trader
    Mine works fine with an Iceman on it (for now)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1619
    Got a few of the 38s. They're tip-top so long as you are proficient with a drill and rawlplugs

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10266
    I've got five of my guitars hanging above a sofa so if one was to fall it will hopefully have a soft landing.So far so good.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2349
    Thanks guys. So pretty decent then?

I'm totally getting someone else to do it for me, just to be clear. My DIY skills are non-existent. :))
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    Funnily enough I've got two that have been up years. I also used p38. And maybe a little p100 when I discovered a void behind the plaster I wasn't expecting.
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    I'd use bigger screws and rawl plugs than the ones they supply. I did have a guitar fall off the wall the other night (miraculously no damage!!). It'd been up 6 months and was solid when I mounted it, but guess it worked loose over time, so keep checking it.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    I have 3 of the 39's up on a partition wall, just use expanding anchor bolts instead of what they provide and you'll be fine. Mine have been up 5 years now.
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 613
    I use Hercules stands & the wall hangers. Really good. As has been said the wall hangars are only as good as how well you fix & to what surface. I also like the way the clamps wrap over the neck under weight of the guitar so even if it gets knocked guitar can't fall off.
    Checking the wall fixings regular is probably a very good idea as is deeper plugs & longer screws. All down to the type of plaster/brick/block walls you have.

With the right fixing you can hang your wife on the wall ! (don't ask me how I know LOL)   
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    I have two 39s up, I liked the look of the 38 with the wooden base but they only have two screws in them so I ended up with 39s.  I just used what they supplied and they've been up for 3 or 4 years okay.  Most of the time I have a strat hanging on one.
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    I've used em for ages, never once had a problem, but as has already been said, if your wall is sh*t is doesn't matter how good the hanger is

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2427
    I have three of the 39s, never any issues with them, and so far (5 years down the line) seem to be safe on nitro as well.

If you're unsure of them holding to the wall I'd recommend throwing away the plugs that come with them and getting a decent set of plugs
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    Thanks again guys :)

Yeah I emailed Hercules last night for some info about the different models and they said they used different/longer screws and wall plugs too for a cement wall :)) Any suggestions for what type of screws and wall plugs I should be looking at?

I was wondering about checking them regularly, as some suggested- I presume you just take the guitar off it and check all of the screws are completely tight? (As I said, I have no idea about DIY)

I don't think the type of wall should be a problem as it's a cement wall. I'm guessing (could be wrong) that that'd be a stronger anchor than a stud wall.

Also one other thing- the 38 (wood base) attaches to the wall with 2 screws whereas the 39 attaches with 3. Does that affect how well-attached to the wall it'll be? Hercules said it didn't but I wouldn't mind a second opinion, either.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    I thought the 38 came with surprisingly good plugs and screws. I've had loads of stuff come with total shite where the screws snapped or the top shredded.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    If you're mounting to a solid wall then I'd go with 3 inch tapcon screws, when drilled with tapcon bit you don't need to use a wall plug and it will stay forever and a day.

In fact I use them for fixing anything to a solid surface.
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427

Fix your guitar hangers to a piece of wood ( similar size and shape to skirting , wood not mdf ) , with some decent wood screws, and they will be fine .

Then fix the board to the wall with some screws and plugs I`d use 3 inch size10s.

I`ve got five hangers on one board , with only 4 screws/holes in the wall , and its all solid.

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I've got a few up in my gaff mate, seem sound enough to me and I'm an absolute buffoon at DIY etc...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2014
    Thanks for the detailed info everyone, I'll bear all of that in mind.

My only concern with attaching several hangers to the one bit of wood, as @10thumbs suggested, is that if that falls then all the hangers/guitars attached to it fall. Or am I overthinking that? :))
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Dave_Mc;320255" said:
    Thanks for the detailed info everyone, I'll bear all of that in mind.

My only concern with attaching several hangers to the one bit of wood, as @10thumbs suggested, is that if that falls then all the hangers/guitars attached to it fall. Or am I overthinking that? :))
    That and you'd have a bit of wood stuck to the wall :D

Tapcons/bluetaps would be easiest solution, and secure. I've held 40kg punch bags up with them, 50inch flatscreens, garden gates and even tied my new porch into my house with them.