What's Hot

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    @not_the_dj has one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited August 2014
    I've got one, 60s neck in Iced Tea.

Anyway, each Humbucker can be coil tapped. That's using the volume controls. Push and it'll pop up for the tapped sound, push again and it'll stay in for the regular humbucker sound.

The tone control for the neck pick-up also has a push/push pot, that operates the boost. There's a 9v battery in the control cavity to power that (accessable via the little hatch in the control cover plate at the back). Inside there's a trim pot you can change to alter the boost amount.
    Special note, they are Push/push pots, not push/pull....don't try and pull them up!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    edited August 2014
    @not_the_dj Thanks for the info bud
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I love push/push pots much easier to use.
    edited August 2014
    The battery compartments are pretty difficult to open. if you can't get it open then you need to unscrew the control cover and poke it out from the inside. I don't use the boost much, but if you take out the battery it'll act as a kill switch.

I did have an issue with one of the push/push pots, it wouldn't stay in the down position so my neck pick-up was stuck in the coil tap position. Mine was bought new so I got the pot replaced under warranty.

One of the best sounds from these is in the middle position with the bridge pick-up as a humbucker and the neck pick-up taped. That's great for a clean almost jangly sound.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I had one,
    Lovely guitar but I didn't like the pickups, battery cover is diabolical & mine was a bit too light to sound LP enough
    @not_the_dj @jeztone2 I have already found this out I can't open the bloody battery compartment! Screw driver it is, I really can't wait to get it home and give it a go, the main reason I got it was the chance to own a lp with split coils, plus it's a very pretty guitar!
    That's the first thing I will be doing, I dont use a pick and the plates look ugly
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563
    Nice guitar, although I do find these endless re-hashes of traditional designs by Gibson to be a bit boring and samey - like Fender and teles! (joke)
    :)
    I totally agree @horse the main reason I got it was the split coils and boost which to me means it can be used in pretty much all environments, I always try to get guitars which are different and unique, but essentially the playability and tone when I tried it out just blew me away, and had to have it!
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6435
    edited August 2014
    My bandmate (who usually plays bass but sometimes we swap...plus he plays guitar in other bands) has just bought a Les Paul Classic.

Seems to be exactly the same as the Trad Pro II but instead of the boost being via the neck pickup tone control, the boost is on a mini toggle switch where the bridge tone pot would normally be...and there's no bridge tone pot.  Which is all fine, functionality wise, as I doubt I'd ever use the bridge tone pot but it looks wrong without the four pots...and that's more important, surely..?

EDIT: Oh and possibly the pickups might be different, I haven't bothered to look that up.

Hah course it is! Looks are EVERYTHING!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    My bandmate (who usually plays bass but sometimes we swap...plus he plays guitar in other bands) has just bought a Les Paul Classic.

Seems to be exactly the same as the Trad Pro II but instead of the boost being via the neck pickup tone control, the boost is on a mini toggle switch where the bridge tone pot would normally be...and there's no bridge tone pot.  Which is all fine, functionality wise, as I doubt I'd ever use the bridge tone pot but it looks wrong without the four pots...and that's more important, surely..?

EDIT: Oh and possibly the pickups might be different, I haven't bothered to look that up.
    I think they're the same. '57 Classic in the neck and Super '57 Classic in the bridge.

It does just seem to be the toggle switch vs push/push pot that's the difference...plus the other 2014 spec changes (120th 12th fret market, different knobs, strap pins...)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    edited August 2014
    i have a 2012 Trad Plus mk1 in Honeyburst, awesome guitars indeed , the Trad is imho one of the best LP's you can currently buy

• Tex MexicoTex Mexico Frets: 1196
    Why didn't you tell me you'd traded those guitars you offered me? Huh? Would have been NICE.

SMILEY FACE LOL.
    @sweepy, I have not plugged it into my own amp at the mo but from the feel and acoustic resonance plus the small electrified play in had this morn I would have to agree, :-)
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23937
    Rip the pickups out.

Replace with a set of Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates.

This should be done with every Les Paul ever.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited August 2014
    Features of this model explained by Andertons. They can be annoying but I can not fault them for being informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYpcHsB_AM8